Shave Shacks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shave Shacks

Ok this is a term I just learned last wk from another groomer in my area. She says that some of the other salons call themselves Shave Shacks? They only do shave downs... any input? Ive never heard of this.....I love to scissor, so that wouldnt go on in my salon! Where have I been LOL

If all people want is a shavedown, and the shop is clean and the animals are treated humanely, I don't really care. Let 'em shave away. The people who don't want a shavedown will find someone else (like me) to give their dog a real style. Someone else shaving all these dogs down means I don't have to do 'em.

Comment

Edited.
      Last edited by pamperedpups; 02-25-07, 03:31 PM.

Comment

Yes, most of the mobiles by me only do shave downs and the "chop shop" 10 minutes away only does shave downs, no scissoring, or fancy hair styles. He gets pretty good money too, I think he does everything with a 5f and 7f.....cf,cf on a poodle will add $10 to the bill!

Comment

there was a mobile groomer ad up

in my area that said shave any dog, $20. It was up in the summer on my local bulletin board right next to my ad. I heard one person that used them, but said, Oh Gee surprise, the groomer quit business. What a way to earn a living. Take it off, take it all off.
          Money will buy you a pretty good dog but it won't buy the wag of it's tail.

Comment

I havent seen any personally, that I know of, but I've heard of some places having signs that say any breed XX$ where strip them down, and head 'em out!

Not my idea of fun for the groomer. It would probably cater to the annual shavedowns, which if that's what they want, well that would be what they get.

Comment

ditto to what Helly says..i wish i had a shave shack in my area, i would send them tons of business..after all these years i get bored stripping dogs..and here comes summer right around the corner..get your #7f's sharpened!!!

Comment

Honestly I feel like some weeks that's all we do is 4F-7F not too many fancy haircuts and I believe that's just the way the owner of he salon "trained" her customers to like everthing extremely short to shave her time and work. You can certainly do more and it's faster but not too much fun. You don't tend to learn much or enhance your scissoring. I think I only once hand scissored a whole body 2 years ago in grooming school and really enjoyed it. It could be a great idea to do as you age and your arms and hands are falling apart.

Comment

Boy I wish one would open in my area too!!! Just think, no more matted smelly Chows, Collies, Newfies, etc etc etc

LOL I might not dread Spring time anymore!!!
                  SheilaB from SC

Comment

Ahh, the wonderful OAY dogs, I'm dreading them.
                    Like I said in another post, I do alot of short haircuts but not strips. I love to scissor when I can. It makes them look so much cuter.
                    I have never heard anyone in my area use the term chop shop. Sounds like a meat counter, not a groomer. LOL

Comment

I just had never even heard that term before. I am in a rural area that is now steadily growing (we even get a Walmart soon WOOHOO). Some of my new clients are in awe when I put a cute trim on their dog.....and when I tell them that there ARE lengths inbetween a shavedown and a full coat. Oh well, I hope they do take the OAY shavedowns....Im dreading em! Spring is around the corner....eeeeeeeek!

Comment

Ha, I've never heard that term! We definitely have Shave Shacks in the area, but we call them "Shave Down Artists". One of them actually told a client "I don't even know how to use scissors" and shaves their faces, heads, etc. Always funny to see a bald yorkie come through our door with a disgruntled owner!

Comment

How boring, can you imagine doing the same thing with no variety every day. That's why I love what I do. always variety
                          "Whoever Said That Money Can't Buy Happiness Forgot About Puppies"
                          Nancy

Comment

I totally agree, elliemae....

I hate #7 shavedowns! Let someone less talented than I am do that stuff!

I am a pet STYLIST, not a shaver.... I rarely take anything shorter than a 4 or 5 (unless it's seriously matted or the owner just insists). I also leave the legs a bit fuller, and sculpt them. The vast majority of my clients LOVE the difference in how their pets look. It seems that most don't really WANT "as short as you can"--they want easy maintenance AND a cute pet.

Comment

I've not heard them referred to as shave shacks before, but there are salons in my area that only offer 'no frills' grooming. I consider them our industry's version of the "Great Clips" type of salons in the hair industry. That's all some people want or can afford so there's a need for that type of salon as well.
                              Sheri

Comment

Working...
                              X