Dog Shots?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dog Shots?

I give my own personal animals their shots every year (two dogs and two cats). I also give the shots to my family and friends dogs. One of my friends/clients asked me if I would give her baby shots and I did it for her. I wondered if any of your offer yearly shots in your services and what do you charge?

Thanks!

No, but but interesting. How can you do that not being a vet and how do you get the shots? I would be scared because my dogs have both had reaction and were having a hard time breathing.

Comment

Just how do you give your own dogs and others shots? Where do you order them and how do other people prove their animal had their shots? ie proof of rabies. It would be a nice service to offer, I'm not sure if there are legalities involved like if your supposed to be a vet tech or something.

Comment

Well, I could be wrong, but I assume that this would fall under the catagory of practicing medicine without a license, I would be careful if I were you. Your own dogs are one thing, but clients dogs? I could be wrong, don't know, just thought you might want to check that out, especially if you are going to charge for it.
        Scratch a dog and you'll find a permanent job. ~Franklin P. Jones

Comment

hmm..

I dont and wouldnt offer any shots to pets as I am not a vet, just a groomer.
          A friend of mine gave my shihtzu her booster shot of parvo, distemper and lepto. one of those all in one shots.and my dog had a deathly reaction. Had to take her to emergency vet. May have been the lepto, I dont know. But she almost didnt live.
          So now I only trust the vet to give my dogs their shots even though it is more expensive.

Comment

Edited.
            Last edited by pamperedpups; 02-25-07, 03:34 PM.

Comment

I would not do these shots on the dogs of another person. Like others have said, should the dog have a reaction, there could be serious consequences. I've seen dogs have a reaction (though I have not seen any die) from vaccinations, and it can be serious.

Tammy in Utah
              Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

I give my own dogs their vaccinations - except for Rabies, which does have to be administered by a Vet in the state of WI. I buy the shots from my Vet (who I used to work for) so the vaccinations are always on my dogs shot records.

There is no way I would give shots to clients though. No way. I know of 2 Standard poodles that almost died after getting the parvo/distemper vaccination.

Comment

Ditto what Nicole said. No way No how. I have given my own shots, but hate doing it even tho I worked at a Vet clinic, so now I just take them to their vet, but only every 3 years, not yearly. I won't even apply a spot-on treatment to client's pets (Frontline, Advantage) for the same reason. Do not want to be blamed or sued for an adverse reaction, or worse case, the death of a pet.
                  Old groomers never die, they just go at a slower clip.

Groom on!!!

Comment

You can administer your own dog's shots, except for rabies, which has to be done by a vet. You can probably get away with giving family member's dogs shots. But past that, you're walking a thin line. And you cannot charge anyone for administering vaccinations. That's practicing medicine without a license.

If you administer vaccinations to your dogs, and should your dogs need to be hospitalized or kenneled, the vaccinations may not be accepted by the vet or kennel operator. And it's they're right not to accept owner administered vaccinations, as they have no way of knowing if you handled, mixed and administered the vaccines correctly.

I'm capable of administering vaccinations for my dogs, but I don't. I own dachshunds, a breed that's notorious for having reactions to vaccinations. Even when I take them to the vet for their shots, she has me stick around the clinic for 15 minutes, just to be safe. And I really appreciate that. I'd hate to be driving home when a dog has an anaphylactic reaction to a vaccination.

If you give a friends pet a vaccination, and they have a reaction to it, or if the vaccine fails and the pet becomes ill anyway, you could be held liable, should they decide to sue you. It's best to leave the practice of medicine to the folks who have the credentials to do it legally.

Comment

When we lived in AZ, I gave all our animals (dogs, cats, sheep, rabbits, horses & cows) their shots, rabies (to those that needed it) and all. I was able to order them and giving your own rabies vacs was legal at the time, maybe it still is - don't know. Now of course we're in VA and I'm unable to do it (unlawful). I actually prefer to do it myself. It's a personal decision I think. But I never did or would ever consider doing it for someone else unless I was licensed to do so. Yikes - scarey consequences like everyone else has already posted. I am however thinking of hosting a rabies clinic at my Salon one day this summer. But a Vet would be administering all the vacs of course. Maybe this would be a safer alternative for you as well. Good Luck!

Comment

If I were you I would be VERY CAREFUL about giving your client dogs and cats shots. If they ever have a reaction or worse you would be liable and that would be horrible. I was told by a vet that if the vaccines you can buy from the stores may not be shipped correctly and if they were at room temperature for a given period of time they may not be effective and your pet would have no protection at all. That is why I go to the vet each year to get my pets their shots even though I have a zoo and it cost me an arm and leg each year to vaccinate them. But I wouldn't do it any other way. Plus they get a physical exam which they need each year anyway.

Comment

Thanks for that information and the links Pamperedpups. I agree with your advice. I'm going to save those links to share with friends and clients who ask about this.

Comment

No way, No how! I vaccinate my own animals, but only my own, for the same reasons that everyone else has posted.

Comment

Absolutely not. Aside from the fact that you could be opening yourself up to lawsuits and your reputation being ruined if something bad happened, you are also giving clients an excuse not to see their vets yearly. Don't forget that dogs 1 yr does not = a humans 1 year. Would you recommend a human go say 14 years (2 yrs in dog years) without seeing a doctor? Especially as they get older they should be seeing the vet at least yearly. You arn't doing the animals any favors

As for giving my own dogs vaccines.. no..because Im a wuss. I couldn't poke a needle in them. Lol

Comment

Working...
                              X