maltese fur drives me nuts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• maltese fur drives me nuts

today i had 2 malteses from different families 1 was 4 months,the other 8 months they were both great on the table so sweet as a matter of fact the 8 month old kept falling asleep on me,hid dad says he takes a nap everyday at 2,thats when i was grooming him,well its their fur i hate it,it always looks awful no matter what i do,its fly away,by the time the parents get here i see stuff sticking out,and i scissor,and scissor,is there something i can spray on their fur to make it easier to work with,and i dont even want to get started on the feet always look awful,one looked a little better than the other i did a #4,but the other they wanted a 0 snap comb,and you could see all the little marks in the fur,i was scared to go reverse,but i think using a clip comb looks worse,8 years grooming and malteses and yorkies are hard for me,doing the haircuts on them they both have awful fur,any suggestions??????????
    thank you,trish

Instead of an "O" comb, try the new Andis 5/8HT blade. It leaves a much smoother cut, and then i scissor the legs. I use thinners a lot to on puppy coats. Try an anti static spray Vellus Pet Cosmetics makes a great static spray. http://www.vellus.com

Comment

0 snap

Here is one done with a 0 snap. Not perfect, but passable and client likes it. Comes in every 8 wks.
      Attached Files

Comment

I forgot, I also use a silk spray when hair is dry, part it down the middle on the back and clip about an inch away from the part down the sides. hope that makes sense.

Comment

Edited.
          Last edited by pamperedpups; 02-25-07, 03:34 PM.

Comment

Do you use a conditioner on the coat? This can also help with the fly-aways. It is very dry where I live, so much so that if I don't use conditioner in my own hair, it will be glued to my face with static.

Tammy in Utah
            Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

Puppy coat can be a pain. Like everyone said, a good anti-stat spray. I, too shorten a lot with thinners. I just bought a scissor/thinner combo by Precision Sharp and am LOVING how nice it leaves these wispy coats. Great on yorkies, and those schnauzer legs. A really good investment for sure!

About those feet, I do them almost entirely from the bottom-like shoeing a horse. Let the foot be your guide, and scissor a nice circle. Comb the hair down over the back of the foot to start. Easy peasy!!!

And puppy coat does get better, the more you scissor it, the stronger it will become.
              Old groomers never die, they just go at a slower clip.

Groom on!!!

Comment

Besides using a conditioner for fly away hair, I usually hand scissor yorky and maltese puppies, because they are generally lite coated and the clippers will not clip as even as hand scissoring.

Comment

Have you ever tried grooming chalk after the clip? A light dusting, brush it in, blow out with the HV, and the uneven marks and fly away whispies disappear. Corn starch will also do the same thing, but doesn't add as much texture.

Comment

Chalk

I have never used grooming chalk. What else do you use it on?

Comment

Senproco Coat handler.

I agree completely...Coat Handler (customer calls coat hanger) is great anti-satic spray...great conditioner...expensive savor it. Only for the special guys.It is so dry here I get zapppers when I go to milk frig at grocery store ..door static elect. zaps me also when vac -ng fur out of Clipper vac..static big shocks.

Comment

Originally posted by Gracy Rose View Post
                        I have never used grooming chalk. What else do you use it on?
                        I used it a lot when I was showing. Nothing like a bit of chalk on those white dogs to really make them sparkling white. Use it to cover up scuffs and scrapes on noses, make white feet stand out, cover thin spots on dark coats (in comes in different colors). When you have to take a dog really short, due to matting, you can use chalk to make the coat appear fuller, and even longer. It adds texture to coat that's too soft.

Comment

Working...
                        X