X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dog law email I got

Subject: PA Dog Law Bill problems

PA Dog Groomers, Hobby Breeders, Rescues:

I was made aware that new anti-puppy mill laws are in the works. I received some very shocking news, Pennsylvania Dog Law amendments are just around the corner, and soon to become law. The new amendments redefine what is considered a KENNEL in Pennsylvania.

Dog Groomers are not excluded from these new definitions. According to the amendments it will require all dog groomers to get kennel licenses or be fined $100 - $500 daily. Below are the amendments that will effect us. I encourage you to follow the links below, read for yourself and start writing to your local legislators and Mary Bender. I will also provide a link for PA legislators below.

Those of you that rescue privately and are hobby breeders the same re-definitions apply: PLEASE educate yourselves immediately and demand we be excluded from these new amendments.

Establishment -- The premises including the home, homestead, place of business or operation of any individual or person, including a dealer, which includes all of the land, property, housing facilities or any combination thereof, on, in or through which any dog is kept, bred, harbored, boarded, sheltered, maintained, sold, given away, exchanged or in any way transferred. Establishment shall encompass all of the individuals or persons residing thereon. It may be public or private and includes an individual, person, organization, business or operation, which utilizes offsite or temporary homes to keep, maintain, breed, train, harbor, board, shelter, sell, give away, adopt, exchange, or in any way transfer dogs.
    Housing facility--Any land, premises, shed, barn, building, house, trailer or other structure or area housing or intended to house dogs for any period of time

(iii) Failure of a kennel to comply with licensure provisions. Consistent with section 207(a.1) of the act (3 P. S. ' 459-207(a.1)), it is unlawful for a kennel to operate without first obtaining a license. [The Secretary may file suit in Commonwealth Court to enjoin the operation of a kennel that violates any of the provisions of the act or this part and may seek the imposition of a fine of not less than $100 nor more than $500 for every day the kennel has operated in violation of the act or regulations.] Failure to obtain a kennel license prior to operating any establishment that keeps, harbors, boards, shelters, sells, gives away or in any way transfers a cumulative total of 26 or more dogs of any age in any 1 calendar year, may result in one or more of the following actions by the Secretary:
    (i) Upon reaching the cumulative total of 26 or more dogs of any age in any 1 calendar year, the establishment in question shall be required to apply for and obtain a kennel license. The establishment shall have kennel facilities that meet the regulatory requirements for all of the dogs currently on the premises or to be kept, harbored, boarded, sheltered, sold, given away or in any way transferred by the establishment, which ever number is larger.

The Link for complete amended changes:

PA Bulletin, Doc. No. 06-2452 <http://www.pabulletin.com/secure/data/vol36/36-50/2452.html>

The link for contacting legislator's:
    The Pennsylvania General Assembly <http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/legis/home/findyourlegislator/county_list.cfm?CNTYLIST=Lancaster>

The link for Pa Federation Of Dog Clubs:

PA Federation of Dog Clubs <http://home.paonline.com/pfdc/>

Please write your letters and comments after reading the Pa bulletin to:

Mary Bender, Director
    Bureau of Dog Law Enforcement
    2301 N. Cameron St.
    Room 102
    Harrisburg, Pa. 17110
    If your dog is fat, you are not getting enough exercise!

Mobile too?

Other odd law is..can't use drinking water bottles for shampoo...could injest by mistake...yeah sure, if you're reeeeely stupid! I still save them for shampoo and conditioner and leave gallons home.Don't most mobiles?

Comment

Wow. Hopefully they'll decide to exclude dog groomers. How much will it cost to have a kennel liscence?

Comment

I could not find how much it cost. But according to what I read it will not affect mobile groomers. Thank god.

Comment

Originally posted by mustluvdogs1 View Post
          Other odd law is..can't use drinking water bottles for shampoo...could injest by mistake...yeah sure, if you're reeeeely stupid! I still save them for shampoo and conditioner and leave gallons home.Don't most mobiles?
          One simple solution to that problem is to use dish detergent bottles instead of drinking water bottles. And remember that OSHA requires they be labled for content, and you should also carry your MSDS with you. If you were to become ill, or were in an accident, first responders need that information to determine what precautions they need to take, if any, when dealing with spilled liquids.

For example, if you becane ill and someone found you unconscious on the floor, with a bottle of spilled shampoo in your hand, rescue personel need to know that it's shampoo, and not something toxic. It speeds up treatment in the ER if they don't have to stop and figure out what that stuff was.

Comment

Considering PA, and Lancaster County in particular, is the 'Puppy Mill' capitol of the world, seems to me they can't even enforce the laws presently on the books... they need MORE????
            In the county I live in here in Florida, Animal Control periodically inspects grooming shops to make sure they're clean, orderly, and safe for animals... ie: electrical plugs not under the tub, etc. Course, that's a county thing, as they didn't do it in northern Florida when I lived there.
            If the Dept of Agri in every state would simply enforce the rules now on the books, 90% of these 'puppy mills' would be put out of business.
            JMO,
            Laurie

Comment

From what is says it doesn't mention grooming salons that I can see. Maybe I am missing something but I read the whole thing.

Comment

It does say anywhere dogs are maintained or harbored. I think that would be the requirement for groomers

Comment

I know, I didnt notice anything about grooming salons either, but hey, knowing me, maybe I missed it too. But they should definitely start enforcing old laws before they start making up new ones!! As with all the other laws that are out there.

Comment

Speak Up

I don't see where it applies to groomers either. Unless you are a boarding kennel, dogs are not usually housed at a grooming shop, nor are they sold, adopted or given away at most grooming shops or any of the other things listed. They arrive for a service and leave after completion of the service which is very different from housing, just as we are not housed by our hairdresser. Dogs also arrive and depart after service at a vet clinic too but those clinics that house animals overnight (after surgery or during illness) would be affected possibly, even if they don't offer boarding.

What I thought I did see (nit picky) is this applies to any place (home) where any dog is kept. That would mean every pet owner also requires a kennel license?

Hopefully everyone will be vocal enough to get this bill pulled until the language is made clear. Louisville passed a city ordinance that is so restrictive even on pet owners that it's unbelievable. If you who will be affected by this law don't speak up and get everyone you know to do so, laws like this can get passed as the residents of Lousiville found to their dismay.

Comment

Originally posted by luckydog View Post
                      It does say anywhere dogs are maintained or harbored. I think that would be the requirement for groomers
                      I don't think so. But that's what I mena by the law shold be sent back for clearer language. Harbor means shelter, groomers don't do that. maintained, now that is tricky, except in this case it's being brought for a bath and haircut and I beleive the way they use the word maintained is different from "maintenance" as in regular grooming. I thnk it is meant like this:
                      a. To provide for; support: maintain a family.
                      b. To keep in existence; sustain: enough food to maintain life.

But yes, the wording is very ambiguous and needs a lot of fine tuning.

Comment

I don't understand how it affects groomers either, but that is how the email came to me.

Comment

Dish det bottles would take a lot of time

I see what you mean..but still think shampoo in cabinett is pretty obvius it is shampoo. Ok I"M dumb what is MSDS? Contents? Lables get wet and even markers disappear. Love my water bottles til law says otherwise. I could post a sign saying all water bottles contain water, shampoo or conditionl I used to wear medic bracelet for left arm lymphademano b/p no draw no shots. Then stopped. Recently nurse pumped up b/p L. screamed take it off! Arm ok. showed her yesterday...just fat.

Comment

I know what you mean Lisa, that e-mail seems to make it out like it is for Groomers too. Hope they clarify for you guys.

Comment

Msds/osha

Musluvdogs...MSDS info is in your APPGA Newsletter, look on page 2 (I think)

OSHA states that you can't use bottles that are for product that is human consumption for Shampoos and such...Helly is right about the labeling.

Comment

Working...
                              X