Oh.... Scary Poodle.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh.... Scary Poodle.

Someone called my work today wanting to bring in a Standard Poodle in the afternoon for a groom. He said it hadn't been groomed for a long time, and they were trying to grow it out. They wanted to "cord" him. Then my boss tells the guy that it would take a long time to groom that dog. The owner asked why. So my boss explained to him the process of brushing a dog and since he hasn't been groomed in so long, he might be matted. He went on and on about this. The owner was shocked about all of the care that a dog in cords would need. From what the owner described the dog is probably in horrid condition. So before my boss even got into telling him that he had to be current on shots to come in, he just refused the groom. He went on about if he's to matted that he would have to be shaved because it hurts the dog to demat and everything. He said the owner didn't care about if the dog was hurt by getting the mats out, he didn't want him shaved because he wanted a corded dog. Plus the owner said that they never brush or comb him. Yeah, not a dog I'd want to demat, or an owner I'd want to deal with. I think my boss handled it perfectly.
    Becky

Can you imagine what that dog looks like?!!!! I sure wouldn't want to do it either. I wish someone could make the owners go for a couple of months without a bath and brushing and then start pulling on their heads to brush them out. Some people shouldn't own an animal. grrrrrr
    "There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face."
    Diane

Comment

Not scary pooodle - Scary people Poor Poodle

That's just soo.... awful to that man's statement that he didn't care if it hurt the dog I would've had to reply than I don't care to have you as a customer and because I do care if I put an animal in pain. What is wrong with some people, They just don't stop and think. I can't imagine what the poor thing looks like.

Comment

Puli

I used to brush out w/ warm air and trim a Puli..Futile..Next day cords up..Finally owner gave up..looked like a black Bichon..but won't last long. Those people need a comomdor..but really should have a hairless . Or better an imaginary dog.They could buy a stiff leash that looks like a dog is on the end of it...and be happy..dog would be.

Comment

That is just sickening. How in th eworld can somebody own a poodle and not know what to do with it.

Comment

cords ARE mats

Uh guys, Cords are long tubular mats, the ringlets are allowed to felt, then torninto individual cords.
            You can't brush out cords. You don't brush out cords. You wash the dog, cage dry it with several fans and a couple of blowers, then you start separating the cords.
            Each cord is a completely felted ringlet.
            He should be referred to a groomer that knows how to cord a dog.
            Deidre

Comment

aww

That poor dog!! He must be in pain. I wish there was something that could be done to these people. They should not own a dog, or any living creature for that matter. Maybe a goldfish. grrrr........

Comment

cording poodles

I can tell that none of you have ever corded a dog. The first thing that you do to cord a dog is to let it mat. Then you split the matts to form cords. So you would not brush the dog out or shave it.

Comment

Edited.
                  Last edited by pamperedpups; 02-25-07, 03:42 PM.

Comment

I have a couple of groomer friends who have groomed corded poodles. They showed me photos of the poodles which actually looked very stunning in their corded coats. I always wished that I could work with them when they groomed the corded poodles, but wasn't able to. That is one grooming technique that I would love to learn and become skilled at. I think that it takes a tallented groomer to accomplish the proper look in a corded dog and to maintain it well. IMO the corded breeds(as well as corded poodles) look very exotic.

Comment

This is true. I am embarrassed to say. It makes sence to let it all mat. Let me call myself a blunderhead.
                      I only groom my own dogs and some rescues. Not on a daily basis.

Comment

Ditto what Edderland, Misty and Pamperedpups said. Cords are mats...they're just controlled mats. Without seeing the dog, you can't know if the mats are ready to be split out and formed into cords or not. If cording isn't your cup of tea, you can also split the mats into flocks, a la the Bergamasco.

And it's just my opinion, but I think a well corded poodle looks awesome.

Comment

I think that it's understandable to not be familiar with corded grooming and the techniques required for cording a dogs coat. It is not very common to see a corded dog or to get a request for grooming them. I just have always thought that they were very exotic and am looking to learn.

Comment

I can't wait to finish competing with my poodle (which is many years away) so that I can cord him. It's been a dream of mine to have a corded poodle in a Contintental. What's flashier than that??? Nothing!!
                            Erin
                            No Fur, No Paws, No Service.

Comment

In grooming school one of the instructors had a corded poodle. Ew. I didnt like it. But what people are saying is true. Cords are mats that are sposed to be there heh. Its a big project to groom them and if you havnt worked with someone who truely knows how to do it, you shouldn't attempt it on your own. Grooming school was so long ago I wouldn't dare try it on my own. I remember enough to know it was a pain, but not enough to be confident I could do the grooming well. If a client called with a corded dog I would explain all that and urge them to find a groomer who really knows how to do it. (not guessing at it)

Comment

Working...
                              X