Schnauzer head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Schnauzer head

Do you guys shave their cheeks so it indents under the eyes a bit, and their head is more of an hourglass shape? I've seen some pics of this and it looks good. Usually I keep their cheek hair and thin it so it lays flat, but sometimes it still looks kind of poofy. Follow what I'm saying? It's someone's website on here, so I'm not sure if I should point it out if it's not how you're "supposed" to do it, though it's a great look. Just wondering what everyone else does.

Her heads look a little like this ><...not quite that dramatic, and mine are supposed to look like this ! ! but they sometimes look like this after the dog shakes {} lol. I hope that helped show what I'm saying.
    Erin
    No Fur, No Paws, No Service.

Yes, half way under the eye.

Comment

I do it how the owners want. I used to groom a Schn. that got under the eye shaved all the way to the corner by the nose. So her beard started about and inch away from the eye. Some request it to be at the far corner of the eye, some want a teddy bear face. I don't do a normal schn. face anymore. But when I did, I would shave to the middle of the eye, or stop at the far corner and thin out the hair. Depending on if they had the wiry hair or that stupid cotton coat.
      Becky

Comment

Head/ All Schnauzer.Giant to Mini.

Entire head brick shaped . Top short with #10 or 7F reverse.Brows see other post I explained under mustluvdogs1.Schnauzer brows. No, never scoopout fur under ete. Cheeks short, to face. Ears, I use #30 to keep close.Back to eyes...Corner of eye to corner on where beard starts. Blend eye corners w/ thnning sheers, be careful not to pinch. You can trim under eyelashes (tPet shop photos rarely are goodo ())Look for Show dogs photos.I am strict aboput Sachnauzer faces etc..like the standard.Avatar cute..her dog..she can do as she pleases. My logo on van and car and online book is corrrect, kown for correct Schnauzer grooms.and....I prefer them that way.Also tight on chest, to cowlick...no bib , like a baby in high chair.Fur on side graduates from front back of leg seen, to tuck up in front of back legs looking from side. Fur is under dog..past barrel of ribs. Wish I had a photo to send. I believe dog looks thinner..no hula skirt here. not like Westie or Scotties. Airdales are similar. Schn only dog w/ angle on thigh to 1 half inch above hocks. Unless you do a total Schn. on a non Schn breed/Actually my dogs re Miniature Snoozers...sleep all day.

Comment

Rectangle heads

They are not supposed to be shaved under any part of the eye. You shave all the hair from the corner of the eye towards the back of the skull and what you can't shave becasue it's too close to the eye, you use the thinners and be careful not to pinch the skin there. (it's easy to do). For a very good example, go here:

http://members.aol.com/msbritmor/groom.html

Comment

I've seen that kind of Schn head, Its neat and clean, but I don't like it and its not correct.
            I go from the corner of the eye to the whisker nodule, then I take and hold the beard and pull it towards me and then take thinning shears and trim off the hair that sticks out beyond a straight line to the corner of the eyebrows.

Comment

Sunny Sunnys' Schnauzer looks correct.

I am just a fussy Schnauzer...dyed in the (Fur) Must NOT hate to shout but pleeeeese dont cut fur under eyes..makes eyes poppy..not suppose to be prominent...as i said in Schnauzer Brow Post....It was written by Dan Kiedrowski...Writter of Best AKC records of Mini Schnauzers and Show dogs ever. If, and I say it is after all your coice and owners'...you do want it correct...this is really the only way. White chalk on brows, beard, throat, chest and buttie looks realy good. baby powder in a winner cuz it smells so good.I am not a meanie , but this subject gets to me. Why go to seminars and pay 50 if owners don't get educated.. and dogs don't look like the intended standard. Don't make her look like a Schnauzer,, or poodle or whatever the dog Actually is ...G forbid!

Comment

To follow the show dog pattern only on a pet, DO NOT go under the eye at all. It is brick shaped, not hour-glass or figure-eight shaped (unless the OWNERS want it that way). I personally don't like how it looks, but this is a personal opinion. I would only do that if the owners asked for it---I dread that day.

Tammy in Utah
                Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

Nice schn grooming site sunny, glad to brush up on what I've been doing.
                  Had a new schn customer bless me out because I took her schn's bib off the chest and columned the legs, she said she did not think she had to explain to a groomer what a schn cut was when she asked for a standard schn clip !
                  Well that comment really ticked me off, because when thay are used to seeing something done incorrectly and you change it and do it the right way all of a sudden you are the one that dont know your a** from a hole in the ground. I just explained what I did was proper and I was sorry she did not like it, but the next time we could change anything she did not like to her specifications, but she has not been back, but most pet schn don't have a nice coat to work with anyway, so its hard to make them look like the pictures when there is nothing to work with in the first place, oh well.

Comment

Nope, I don't go under the eye at all. Clip from the outside corner of the eye to the whisker bump. Use thinners to blend and tidy any sticky outies. Angle brows from outside corner of the eye to inside corner of the nose. And don't clip a landing strip down the nose, either.

Comment

Correct Schnauzer head when I can. Do have one client who wants the hair off under the eyes cuz they want to see her eyes. Looks OK, but not the correct rectangle shape. Others want the head and beard short. Most do appreciate the correct look. New clients, I gradually change the lines so as not to shock them.
                      Old groomers never die, they just go at a slower clip.

Groom on!!!

Comment

Originally posted by cattledawg View Post
                        I go from the corner of the eye to the whisker nodule, then I take and hold the beard and pull it towards me and then take thinning shears and trim off the hair that sticks out beyond a straight line to the corner of the eyebrows.
                        I do mine the same way.

I have had a client who liked me to clip under the eye to the nose, liked it all cleaned out so they could see the eye better and keep the eyes cleaner.

Really like the grooming chart Sonny. Reinforces the fact that I'm doing a lot of it right, maybe not all but most. lol
                        "There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face."
                        Diane

Comment

Originally posted by Helly View Post
                          Nope, I don't go under the eye at all. Clip from the outside corner of the eye to the whisker bump. Use thinners to blend and tidy any sticky outies. Angle brows from outside corner of the eye to inside corner of the nose. And don't clip a landing strip down the nose, either.

OH the DREADED "landing strip!" I hate it when they come in to me and their nose has been shaved down the bridge. Then I have to explain to the owners, and ask them what they want, etc. I tell them that the hair tends to grow right back into the eyes (my experience) when it has been shaved, and that is why I don't do it. That and the fact that it isn't after the show pattern.

Tammy in Utah
                          Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

Originally posted by SpikeyTheYorkie View Post
                            I tell them that the hair tends to grow right back into the eyes (my experience) when it has been shaved, and that is why I don't do it. That and the fact that it isn't after the show pattern.

Tammy in Utah
                            Yeah, it does tend to do that until it's long enough to part and fall to the sides. I try to encourage people to just slick it down until it's long enough.

Comment

Great website Sunny!!

That's exactly the way we learned Schn grooming in school.

Comment

Working...
                              X