Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What should I do?

Hey guys,
    I have a small issue that I need some outside advice on.
    I left the vet clinic where I had been grooming full time for almost 7 years to open my own shop.

Late last fall one of the kennel techs expressed intrest in learning how to groom. I had worked with her, thought she might make a great groomer. After 3 months of her working with me 2 to 3 days a week she still couldnt wash a dog and get it clean and was aways forgetting the three basics I has given her to do (clip and dremel nail, clean ears and brush out). she also didnt think she should have to learn the breeds and be able to identify them by sight.
    I politely severed our working agreement and that was that. Now that I have left the vet clinic and am currently working to open my own shop, I have
    been hearing from clients that have found me and former co workers that she is grooming at the vet clinic as their groomer and she is telling my old clients when they ask about her teaching that she learned how to groom from me.

I have talked to my lawyer, and he is willing to send a cease and disist letter, but I dont really want to stir up any problems with my old employer ,as she is still my pet's doctor and has been very supportive of my opening my own business.

I have seen the results of her "grooming", its not good and Im thinking I should just leave well enough alone (Im really non confrontational) although I value my reputation and Im proud of my training and my grooming abilities and almost have a heart attack when I think she is claiming I trained her to groom.

Oh what to do!!!
    Please help,
    Tammy

Hmm, have you tried talking to her personally? Or her boss? Maybe you can stop things calmly before you have to bring lawyers into it. I would be afraid that a cease and desist letter may bring a tone to it that you don't want, and you said that the vet was your vet still, that may cause some tension there. If you can keep things good with your old employer that is invaluable, especially since businesses tend to refer to each other. Anyway, good luck in your situation, I hope that you can keep things civil I too hate confrontation, but if it's really bugging you it might be a good idea to get it out there
    Scratch a dog and you'll find a permanent job. ~Franklin P. Jones

Comment

At worst people will think you are a bad teacher. Oh well. I would let well enough alone. If you have a good relationship with the vet, maybe you should talk to him or her. After all, it is his business that will also look bad.
      If your dog is fat, you are not getting enough exercise!

Comment

I would give her a chance to hear it from you before taking legal action...less likely to hurt feelings or piss someone off, if you do it with tact. Maybe she thinks she is doing okay in her mind. I would sit down with her and the employer and let them know what is happening and that you feel that telling clients you trained her is not right because you never finished the training. Let them know that is lying...it is the same as dropping out of a program and saying you completed it. You can say that your reputation as a new shop owner will be affected by this if you want.

Comment

my take

I would just drop it.

ITs one of those things that will take care of itself.

I am sure the dissatisfied clients can find you,
          and the vet will figure it out.

I know its hard, but you just have to let go and let God.
          What goes around comes around.

Comment

I'm going along with what has already been said. I would talk to her and her boss and explain what is going. That you never finished her training and you don't appreciate her telling clients that you trained her, when you didn't. I'm surprised your old boss is letting her groom if her grooms are so bad, doesn't say much for him/her in offering something that is so far below your standards. If none of this works then follow through with the lawyer.
            "There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face."
            Diane

Comment

Did you rent space form the vet or were they clinic clients you were grooming?? The vet may actually have a case against you! I would drop it and don't even get involved if clients complain to you about her. Take the high road! I had a simular situation and when people would bad mouth the other groomer to me I would simply state "every groomer has their own style and if you are happy with mine, let's make you an (or another) appointment."

Comment

Id just leave it. Technically she isnt lying. She did train with you for a few months. If she is that bad the clients will realize it and come find you. If you really feel you need to say something, Id speak to the owner of the animal hospital and ask them to ask her (as her boss) to stop. I dont think they have to though since you did train her for a while.

Take it as a learning experience.

Comment

I would let it go....if she turns out to be a great groomer,it's a feather in your cap. If not,oh well! Go on with life and do the best you can with your shop.
                  I always stresed that competition is good as it keeps standards high,I always keep in mind a saying from the movie "The Hustler",
                  "Remember Boy, I taught you everything you know but I didn't teach everything that I know!"

Comment

That is a difficult situation. You obviously have a great reputation and others want to be associated with it. I agree with the suggestion of saying something to the people who mention this like, she helped out at my shop for a while, but I was not able to finish training her before she left. I hope that you will keep us informed on how this goes. Best of luck.

Comment

well i too would tell these customers that she had left or you didnt get to finish her training due to personal reasons (you can either leave it at that or just say due to personal reasons between the two of you that wasnt going to work out),or that you werent able to finish her training because things werent going as expected. And if they are complaining about her grooming style then thats her issue not yours...if she didnt want to recognize the breed of the dog onsite and couldnt remember to get the dogs clean and file and dremel the nails and clean the ears after two months then i would have started her over from part one...GETTING those dogs clean! yes even i have days where the dogs arent completely clean...but my boss sends them back for me to reclean. if she didnt get the dog clean the first time around and she keeps doing this i would have sitten her down and explained to her that she wasnt getting the dogs clean enough and did she feel that she was getting the dogs completely clean...and if she says yes she feels that she is then just explain to her that the dogs are still dirty..and that you will help her get the dogs clean...ie showing her how to properly wash the dogs...and then having her wash another dog. show her how to tell when the dog is clean...and if the dog is still dirty after she washs it tell her you will need to send the dog back to be rewashed and dried. what ive never understood was groomers who send out dirty dogs (and the bather isnt overworked) when the bather could have easily rewashed and dried the dogs. or the groomer just taking the dog back in their themselves and rewashing and drying the dog...and if they glance over just say oh he's still dirty...but perhaps next time you'll be able to wash him better so i wont have to come back here and do this? thanks.
                      if you do train another person....ask them if they can tell the most popular breeds on sight....if not tell them they would need to learn this before you can start training them to groom...if they dont want to learn this then they dont get trained. if they complain that you said you'd train them then point out that learning the breeds is a requirement of them being trained under you.
                      as far as this one goes...i would talk to her personally...and ask her to stop telling people that she was trained by you. if you never personally showed her how to do any haircuts then she wasnt trained to do any haircuts by you. if all you had her doing was nails and ears and washing and drying the dogs then you didnt train her to do haircuts. now if you showed her haircuts and had her doing them then yes you did train her...but if not i would ask her politely to please stop telling people that you trained her in grooming...if she does not then i would talk to the owner of the clinic about the grooming issue...but be polite about it. if nothing happens then then i would just let it go...it just reflects badly on her...and no one is going to say oh i was trained by so and so and they did a horrible job training me.
                      JMHO
                      Hound

Comment

Skip right over her, skip the letter too, just go straight to your former bosses and mention it to them---and if they are great about it, allow them to mention it to her. If not, mention that you may get a letter from your lawyer sent to HER (meaning, let them know it has NOTHING to do with that vet hospital), and leave it at that.

Just my 2 cents.

Tammy in Utah

Originally posted by petstylist View Post
                        Hey guys,
                        I have a small issue that I need some outside advice on.
                        I left the vet clinic where I had been grooming full time for almost 7 years to open my own shop.

Late last fall one of the kennel techs expressed intrest in learning how to groom. I had worked with her, thought she might make a great groomer. After 3 months of her working with me 2 to 3 days a week she still couldnt wash a dog and get it clean and was aways forgetting the three basics I has given her to do (clip and dremel nail, clean ears and brush out). she also didnt think she should have to learn the breeds and be able to identify them by sight.
                        I politely severed our working agreement and that was that. Now that I have left the vet clinic and am currently working to open my own shop, I have
                        been hearing from clients that have found me and former co workers that she is grooming at the vet clinic as their groomer and she is telling my old clients when they ask about her teaching that she learned how to groom from me.

I have talked to my lawyer, and he is willing to send a cease and disist letter, but I dont really want to stir up any problems with my old employer ,as she is still my pet's doctor and has been very supportive of my opening my own business.

I have seen the results of her "grooming", its not good and Im thinking I should just leave well enough alone (Im really non confrontational) although I value my reputation and Im proud of my training and my grooming abilities and almost have a heart attack when I think she is claiming I trained her to groom.

Oh what to do!!!
                        Please help,
                        Tammy
                        Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

I'm with those that say let it go. It sounds like she wasn't very passionate about turning out clean dogs (or even knowing breeds). That kind of grooming isn't going to last very long. If I were in your situation and someone asked me about her training, I would just smile and say "Oh yeah, we started that but didn't really get too far" and then change the subject. Your reputation is built on your ability to groom pets, not your ability to train would be groomers.

Comment

Edited.
                            Last edited by pamperedpups; 02-25-07, 04:39 PM.

Comment

I see both sides but I think if it really bugs you, which I think it does, you should discuss with both the vet clinic and other groomer.

I would not take legal action of any kind. That just creates bad blood. You can however remind her that her training had not been completed and you would appreciate it if she would not use your name as her source of training. Tell her you consider it to be unprofessional and misleading as the clients will expect a certain level of professionalism and she's not there yet.

If after that she continues, I'd probably let it go but it never hurts to go to the source with your concerns.

My two cents.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Comment

Working...
                              X