maltese ears

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• maltese ears

i have the worst time with these ears. one time another groomer showed me a way to fold the ear back on the dogs head and then cut a straight line close to the ear leather from the bottom of the ear up to where the ear meets the head. any time i do that it looks so jagged up around where the ear meets the head. it looks bad. i may have posted something similar to this on last board, BUT YET AGAIN, in all my computer expertise, am unable to find it. does anyone know what i mean about these ears and trimming them in such a way? its the part of the inside top of the ear closest to the eye that just looks wrong. do you shave the inside of the ear?

I use either a 10 or a 15 blade for this little flap of skin .just a skim to that area to reveal the ear canal to make plucking much easier

Comment

I think that I understand what you are asking. I don't shave the insideof the ear is I am going to shave it. I do shave the ear canal. But I use scissors to make a line so if you pull back the ear you get a nice clean look. I wish I could explain how I do it, it's just not so easy without showing it, lol.
      Scratch a dog and you'll find a permanent job. ~Franklin P. Jones

Comment

It's not necessarily the ears, it is poor earset on badly bred dogs, so you have to take each individual dog into consideration. If you're not going to bother anyone else with it--use a sqeaky toy to get the dog to put his ears up into his natural postition, then trim. When he puts them down you might have to make some adjustments, but make them small so you don't overdo it. Check from behind to for sticky outies when his ears are up. Sometimes the shorter they are when they hold them funny the harder they are to make look good-but we also have to deal with what the client wants too--of course if they're matted they get what I can do--these dogs bruise, brush burn and split skin very easily

Comment

I'm lost. Don't have a clue as to anything anyone has said.
          "There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face."
          Diane

Comment

I know exactly what you're talking about, and I have the same problem. When you think the ear is straight and they move their ear or change their expression all of a sudden half the ear is a half inch longer than the other half. lol

I like to trim the ears to the leather so they're short but not shaved. If the customer likes long ears, I just do the best I can.

Comment

I learned this way: Fold the ear in half (you know, the back half is always folding under anyway---AFTER you scissor it!), and then cut straight across.

Tammy in Utah
              Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

Originally posted by SpikeyTheYorkie View Post
                I learned this way: Fold the ear in half (you know, the back half is always folding under anyway---AFTER you scissor it!), and then cut straight across.

Tammy in Utah
                when you fold the ear in half... do you fold vertically in half or horizantally? can you believe it!! i hate to say it but can you be even more specific?! thank you everyone for your feedback.

Comment

"poor earset" and "When you think the ear is straight and they move their ear or change their expression all of a sudden half the ear is a half inch longer than the other half."
                  THIS IS WHAT I MEAN. many dogs leave looking like the Flying Nun.

Comment

give me a poodle to scissor and i'm happy...

give me a maltese or a shih tzu and tell me to make the ears even...

i find the most frustrating part is when another groomer has left the hair directly in front of the ear long like ear hair and i try to trim them and leave that. it's never even cause those hairs don't move when the ear does.

i know none of that helped... but i feel your pain

Comment

I hate when that happens with these dogs. You think they're straight, then they move their ears and they are uneven. So you trim a little on one side, then they seem uneven the other way, so you trim a little on the other ear...I've had a couple leave with really short ears by the time I'm done!

Comment

Working...
                      X