To Pull or not to Pull?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To Pull or not to Pull?

Hello all, I was thinking today about one of my old jobs at a corprate salon, taught me alot of ways of how NOT to run salon, but my mind got stuck on one thing, ear hair. Now ive been reading that some pull and others dont and different opionions on the subject and such. I havent really updated myself on the subject, as this job was a few years ago. I was taugh there that with certain breeds (i got mostly poodles and lhasas) you MUST pull ALL the hair out for it to qualify as a full groom. I was taught in school to do it little by little and if the hair was being really stubborn, just leave it in or cut it. No, not at this salon, I had to take the hemostats and rip it all out in one or two big hunks cause the salon was soo rushed and thats what i was told to do. Some times the dogs ear would bleed a little. I know that isnt a good thing. So if you guys could update me and give me your opionion thatd be cool so I can learn something from that salon experience. You all rock and stay warm!

-me-

I think ear hair should be removed, but more gently than ripping out with hemo's. I mostly use ear powder and then what I cant get with my fingers I will getntly try with the hemostats. I never lock the hemostats, that's too risky to start pulling hair that's not ready to come loose yet.

Comment

I use powder and pull as much out as I can with my fingers - gently, and just a little at a time. I'm not comfortable using hemo's so I never attempt it.

Personally I think pulling it out in big clumps till their ears bleed is cruel. JMO.

Comment

Edited.
        Last edited by pamperedpups; 02-25-07, 04:49 PM.

Comment

You'll find vets who recommend it, and vets who say leave it alone. Veterinary dermatlogists tend to fall into the latter catagory.

The ear is a warm, moist environment, hairy or not. Plucking hair that isn't ready to come out causes irritation, oozing serum (which is a perfect growth medium for bacteria and yeast) and can leave microscopic breaks in the skin. Intact, non-irritated skin is the body's first line of defense against infection. At least that's how it was explained to me by a veterinary dermatologist. And that's why I only remove hair that is loose and comes out easily.

Comment

Play it by ear!

Pardon the pun but that is what I do. If there is a whole other dog living in there I pull if not I cut it short.

Comment

I use the hemos and ear powder but before adding powder I shave that little cartalage flap at the base of the ear first this makes the ear canal hair much easier to get to without ripping apart the outter ear .

Comment

"Play it by ear" Too funny Groominator! I pluck ear hair if needed, but as gently as possible. I remove the hair that comes out easily by hand.

Comment

Originally posted by doggiestlist View Post
                  I use the hemos and ear powder but before adding powder I shave that little cartalage flap at the base of the ear first this makes the ear canal hair much easier to get to without ripping apart the outter ear .
                  I too shave the skin wall of the ear canal, that way to limit any pulling of rooted hair.
                  I pluck most of the ear hair. It was how I was taught and policy at the shop that I work at. Of course if the ear is swollen, red, looks infected, etc. I can stop. I won't pluck it till it bleeds.
                  Most people expect us to pluck the hair, and some of the vets recommend it, but there are a few that they ask us not to pluck.
                  Scratch a dog and you'll find a permanent job. ~Franklin P. Jones

Comment

Be careful with white/light colored poodles, very sensitive. Put some drying powder in the ear after.

Comment

[QUOTE=Helly;16265]You'll find vets who recommend it, and vets who say leave it alone. Veterinary dermatlogists tend to fall into the latter catagory.

I know what you mean, I have a Bedlington Terrier and his regular vet said I should be removing more ear hair when plucking yet when he had to see a dermotologist he said I should only remove a few at a time.

I personally remove all those hairs that are ready to come out with my fingers and leave the stubburn ones for the next session, I always keep his ears clean and check for signs of infection

Comment

I was taught to use the hemos and to get it ALL out. That is what I have done for many years. Now however, since reading this board I pluck with my fingers and get what I can. If there is a little left that is for next time, not meant to come out this time. I shave or use scissors to cut some of the hair before I do any plucking. I have seen in the dogs (some, not all) that they seem to take it a little better with finger plucking
                        "There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face."
                        Diane

Comment

Many dogs have very light accumulation in the ear.Where possible,I use a #30 blade as much as I can. Heavy hair in the ear,I pull out to see how packed it is,sometimes it can be clipped,sometimes I pull to remove what will come out without force then clipper the rest. I don't like putting any dog through discomfort(this may answer your question)...Like Helly said,if it comes out easy,pull it if it doesn't,don't hurt your customer!

Comment

Plucking

I am a firm believer in plucking only with your fingers. First, dogs are more likely to be squeemish with a cold object (the metal on hemo's) in their ear, you are also more likely to catch skin. After reading Helly's post I called my cousin she is a Dermotologist at an Affiliated Vet Service and she recommends plucking MODERATELY- only those hairs that are growing down into the canal not those that line the edges. And always remember, that after plucking ears can show infection (not that plucking caused it), the infection was already there we just aggrevated it and brought it to the service. So, if clients call and say "you gave my dog an ear infection" we can explain how it truly happened.

Comment

I use powder (les pooch stuff..i love it!) and I pluck what will come out with my fingers.
                              I've had a some dogs that have had matts down in the ear canal. I use my little scissors and carefully try to seperate the matt with them, then pluck.

I worked somewhere where a groomer would use the hemos, grab the hair, lock them closed, spin the hemos in circles to twist the hair and then pull!! Oh man..the dogs would SCREAM! I can't imagine having hair ripped out of my ears like that. Totally unnecessary.

Comment

Working...
                              X