Noisy Dogs!!!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noisy Dogs!!!!!!!!

what do you all do when you have a dog in your shop that doesnt shut up,and gets all the other pets stressed,plus the groomer stressed,i have a basset like that i get her done pretty quick,but she doesnt stop barking i even bring her out of the kennel still barks,and she stresses out the other pets,i dont know if there is anything i can do about this or not,but it drives me batty,i did her today always have her out in an hour but today they left her for 2,i gotta go home and treat this migraine now,barking doesnt bother me,but the non stop barking does,would love to hear what you all do in this situation
    thanks

I teach them what the word "Quiet" means. And honestly, I don't have to take a lot of time doing it.

I grab two metal pans, and as soon as the serenade starts, I bang 'em together really loudly. That will startle the dog, and the barking stops for a second. I say "Quiet" and hold the pans up. If the dog barks again, I say Quiet and bang again. If three or four bangs don't do the trick, I give them "The look" and repeat "I SAID QUIET!" And that usually does it.

Comment

Reconditioning and Training

Edited.
      Last edited by pamperedpups; 02-25-07, 04:53 PM.

Comment

If what Helly suggested doesn't work, I would suggest sending the dogs elsewhere. Not because it's a "bad" dog or customer, but for your own sake. We can only take so much.

At the last place I worked at, her agreement stated they had "the right to refuse service to any pet, including....those who are aggressive and obsessive barkers...etc...

A person can only take so much, and some of us have different tolerance levels. I'd try what Helly said and then go from there.

I too have a hard time with excessive barkers, but don't have many, fortunately. Just a few. Thank goodness!

Tammy in Utah
        Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

Oh, Helly, the picture I have in my mind of you holding up two big pots and banging them together...priceless!!LOL!!! Wish you could've met the notorious Dandie-Sue. Half poodle and half Dandie Dinmont. No amount of noise interuption would quiet that girl! In and out fast. And her mom, the sweetest lady on the planet. Dandie's long gone now. She got old and cranky, but never quiet, and believe it or not, I missed her when she passed. I'll never forget that girl!
          Old groomers never die, they just go at a slower clip.

Groom on!!!

Comment

Years ago in a shop, we put a towel up at cage. Dark, cn't see out quiets and goes to sleep. Try it.

Comment

I keep two metal dishes and a supply of heavy choak chains and toss them in the dish and the dogs quickly quiet down.

Comment

We used to take a towel and cover over the cage and that usually would quite a dog down.

Comment

Soooo, Helly, is the dog's head between the pans??? I know that would work!!! teeheehee lol

Comment

If the towel over the cage doesn't work we put the loud ones in the "quiet" room, which is the bathroom. It's a large bathroom and we keep a couple of kennels in their. Sometimes the barkers will settle down once they don't have anything to bark at, but at least they aren't stressing the other dogs and the groomers. Don't worry we are in and out of the bathroom a lot. 4 women working, plus we also have a 2nd tub in the bathroom. You could always ask the owners to pick the dog up immediately after completion.

Comment

2 pans and a dog head LOL

Originally posted by Ruggins View Post
                      Soooo, Helly, is the dog's head between the pans??? I know that would work!!! teeheehee lol
                      Oh LOL I would love to be able to do that to a few of them, Especially the ones who like their own barking beacuse it ecchoes so nicely in the tiled cages.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruggins View Post
                        Haven't tried it that way, but I can see where it might work. If not, there's always super glue.

Comment

I have a Malti-poo that REALLY doesnt shut up, and nothing works. She is my only "chronic-yapper" really......I keep toys there also, seems to work!

Comment

Dogs that bark excessively are either sending a distress signal or responding to a particular stimulus. He is showing that somehow his needs as a dog are not being met. Reassuring the dog in a calm and assertive manor (but not in a tone that rewards the behavior) can help to calm a dog. Redirecting the barking dog is a useful tactic as suggested by using toys. If the salon activity or salon noises are causing the dog stress, covering the cage or placing the dog in a quiet area might work as was also suggessted.

My friends own a really successful grooming shop and they arranged their salon so that the kennel area is convenient to the shop, but in a quiet corner so that it is away from the salon action and feels secure. I noticed that their salon is much quieter than most when you walk in and that the dogs bark much less. For those that use the method of making loud noises to startle the dogs and distract them, I'm wondering if an ultrasonic barking device might save time and be less noticable to the clients.

Comment

Thankfully all of our cages are in another room with a door so it's not too bad, just when you go in there. I usually find though a towel over the gate does work well, sometimes going so far as to cover the entire cage, gets dark and more peaceful for them.
                              Scratch a dog and you'll find a permanent job. ~Franklin P. Jones

Comment

Working...
                              X