New Schnauzer today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Schnauzer today

Working out of my home when new clients come and I forget to tell them to come to the side garage door they of course go to the front door and start knocking. I usually can hear them because the dogs I leave in the house start barking. I will then go out to the front and direct them into the garage. Well here is this little old man standing at my front door. I get his attention and he starts to walk over to me. He told me he saw my grooming sign hanging on the garage but decided he would knock on the front door (that's normal). He was walking over to me and I could hear his shoes. Remember that sound when you were a little kid wearing you Mom or Dad's shoes and they are really big and they make that sound, well his were making that sound. I almost thought he was going to be walking out of them, they sounded so big.

Well to get to the dog. It had been 5 months since he had been groomed. His legs where so matted. Told the owner I just didn't think I would be able to brush them out, plus it would not be fair to the dog and it would be painful. He said he knew his dog was in bad shape but was hoping I would be able to do something for him. I told him I would be able to do something for him but he wouldn't have much, if any, hair on his legs.

I had to do a wet shave on his with a #5. What a great dog. He was so good.
    When the owner came to get him he really didn't say much. He thanked me but I couldn't get much out of him. Not really sure if he liked the groom or not. Didn't get him to reshedule or even say he would be back. I guess I'll just have to wait and see what happens.

Oh well we can't win them all.
    "There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face."
    Diane

Maybe the guy doesn't have much money and wasn't sure when he'll be able to afford another grooming. Most schnauzers don't look good with their legs shaved down and he probably didn't like the looks of it. That's not to say he didn't appreciate the work you did, but sounds like he was hoping for a miracle and didn't get it so he was probably a little disappointed, mostly that he let the dog get that way.

Comment

Edited.
      Last edited by pamperedpups; 02-25-07, 04:52 PM.

Comment

Diane, I bet you left more than most would. Most would have taken him down with at least a #7, so I think a wet shave with a #5 was good. Doesn't it dry a little longer?

You can't make them all happy.

Tammy in Utah
        Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

Thanks. I may have been a little down when I posted. But I don't feel bad. I did what I could to make the dog look nice. It would have looked a lot nicer if his legs could have been longer but that means more scheduled appt. At least I didn't shave his beard off!!!!
          "There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face."
          Diane

Comment

That's right, at least you didn't shave his beard. I have had a number of customers do that. It's kind of hard on your ego when you do your best to save what you can and they act like you went ahead and took the easy way out, by clipping short, not realizing it could have been shorter. It will probably be another five months before it gets clipped again. That's just the way a lot of people like that are. Some can be retrained over time though.

Comment

It sounds like you did a nice job of grooming his dog. I get the address of my clients and send them(and the pet) a thank you card after the first visit. I write a note about how much I appreciated their business and how much I look forward to seeing them again. Most clients really appreciate this, especially elderly clients. It makes them feel wanted and seems to help those who didn't reschedule to make the call. Also, I know groomers who have a quick, simple questionaire for the client to fill out about the service they recieved and any suggestions on how they can improve it. This can help to determine why a client didn't reschedule. He sounds like a sweet little old man. I am so curious about his story. I hope that he reschedules with you.

Comment

Working...
              X