Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

the condition of the pets i see is getting worse.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the condition of the pets i see is getting worse.

when a client comes in to see a groomer, it's time for an overhaul, but lately, things are looking worse and after today i wonder if those people are in control of their faculties. a woman and her young kids came in with their dog and before i got to the desk for the check in i smelled the poor little dog. i hadn't seen it yet. it was her first visit so things took longer to get going than normal but when i came out to assess the needs of the dog i was speechless. that's not normal for me. i told her the only option she had and how long it would take. this 3 yr. old bichon had never been groomed at home or otherwise. it was completely casted even had some mats trailing behind him. it took me about 3.5 hrs to get the prep done.the coat came off in 1 piece. the skin in places had the beginning of break down and there was black mold near his feet and under his neck. on his back side the matting trapped waste and it had burned the skn. it goes on. i had to have a break after i finished to regain control of myself. this woman wasn't ashamed or embarrassed or apologetic or. these people should be prosecuted or just taken out back and had their attitudes adjusted.

thats horrible..i'd cry if i saw a poor pup that bad...well i've have a few bad ones but none that bad...i really wish my small little town had a animal cruelty divison ..like they show on tv..when they bust the people starving, beating and being cruel to their animals.....I'd call them in a heartbeat if i saw a dog like that....does your town have something like that ...who you can call? All animals are special and none deserve to be treated badly by anyone...

Comment

Edited.
      Last edited by pamperedpups; 02-25-07, 04:56 PM.

Comment

Was it like this one? It soooo nice when they come off in one peice. less clean up afterward. You know I reall don't think they care. When the dog gets this bad I think that the people bringing them in allready got in some kind of trouble and nw they are "correcting" the problen till next time. By the way that was I think a Poodle that one of the women clipped down last Monday on my day off. I am thinking of making a sing out of it "If your dog looks ;like this expect to pay more" For now we use it as an example of "What a matt is" Yeah some people just do not know.
        Attached Files

Comment

This is so sad. It is heartbreaking to see an animal neglected that severely.

Comment

How sad for the poor dog. Why don't people understand when they take a pet into their home they have a responsiblity to do pet. That means more than just feeding and watering it. If it needs to be groomed, do it. If it has to go to the vets, do it. With people like this you would just love to take them and shake a little sense into them.
            "There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face."
            Diane

Comment

I almost always nicely as I can offer to find a new home for the dog when I see stuff like that- I hate to give the dogs back to people like that! I agree with trying to rebook and follow up- I have seen people "see the light" so there is at least some hope...

Comment

I had a Bichon that was in really sad shape this way minus the mold but the lady had just rescued it from the Humane Society and said "I didn't know he needed to be groomed until a friend of mine pointed it out". She honestly had no clue what a normal Bichon should look like. It was sad that #1 that the Humane Society didn't groom it before she adopted it #2 didn't inform her to get it in for grooming right away. I think that sometimes it's just plain ignorance of the grooming needs of some breeds rather than negligence. If you explain it in plain and simple terms and it continues to look that way then it is negligence. I assume you gently explained to the women all the issues you found skin, mold etc. and suggested she bring it to her vet?

Comment

I'll bet the only reason the dog didn't have maggots is because it's winter. And I'm surprised it didn't have maggots last summer.

Last summer I had two cockers (same owner) that were in worse shape than the one you had. And after talking it over with the kennel owner, we put the dogs in an outside run and called animal control. We wanted it documented before we did anything.

Our state animal cruelty laws are pretty lenient. But our county animal control officer is not! Needless to say, he took whatever action the law allows, and he follows up on the dogs periodically to be sure they're getting the care they need.

Comment

The company I do mobile grooming for also recently opened a storefront salon. since it's been too cold to take the van out, they had me do some dogs in the salon on Friday and Saturday.

I couldn't BELIEVE the conditions of four of the dogs I had! One of the cockers (who was supposedly going to the vet's the next day) had the WORST ear infection I've ever seen--in 11+ years grooming AND 8 as a vet assistant before that.... Ulcerated pinnae, CHUNKS (pingpong ball sized) of black wax--and the smell! I told her I clip the dogs, but I would NOT touch those ears; the vet needed to see EXACTLY what he's dealing with. IMO, this dog needed an ear canal abalation to just seal those canals off.

Bichon--severely matted--couldn't even get a 10 with the grain through on the rear legs! 1/4-pound mats on each ear.... As soon as they were removed, started shaking his head and got bruising/hematomas....

Poodle--looked like a filthy Rastafarian. Butt sealed shut with poop, and penis capped with a urine ROCK.... Stunk to high heaven!

All very sweet dogs and seemed to appreciate getting the filth and

Comment

Originally posted by socalkevin View Post
                      thats horrible..i'd cry if i saw a poor pup that bad...well i've have a few bad ones but none that bad...i really wish my small little town had a animal cruelty divison ..like they show on tv..when they bust the people starving, beating and being cruel to their animals.....I'd call them in a heartbeat if i saw a dog like that....does your town have something like that ...who you can call? All animals are special and none deserve to be treated badly by anyone...
                      It would not do any good. When they take it to the groomer it shows that they are trying to make it better. I have had a lot like that since I went mobile. Never saw mold though.
                      If your dog is fat, you are not getting enough exercise!

Comment

unfortunately we can't prove neglect even if we know this pet has been neglected for some time.she used your services to remody the effects of her neglect.there for no more neglect.I hope you charged her and arm and a leg for this job .the poor dog I bet he feels so much better now.

Comment

Did you tell her that she could be prosecuted for animal cruelty if someone turned her in? Maybe she was really that ignorant. I had a client like that and she got better will proper education.

Comment

Originally posted by diamienono View Post
                            It would not do any good. When they take it to the groomer it shows that they are trying to make it better. I have had a lot like that since I went mobile. Never saw mold though.

Agree, when they've brought it to you, at least they are starting to do something, even if it was only the smell that drove them there.

I once made a client cry, I didn't mean to, was trying to be gentle and firm at the same time. She brought in a Maltese in the same condition you guys are describing. It's nails had grown back into it's pads, when I cut them and pulled the nails out of the pads the holes began to bleed. Of course the coat came off in a one piece pelt (#10 and a 40 in some spots!!)

When she picked up I showed her the dogs feet and the pelt. She cried, saying that the 7 year old daughter wasn't taking care of her like she was supposed to!! After a (gentle but firm) talk about what 7 year olds can handle in the way of dog responsibility , we discussed the following:

(This is how I handle all of these kinds of cases)

Offered good discount to see the dog every 3 weeks

Please call me if you have any questions or feel overwhelmed by the dog

Possibility of rehome or rescue

Comment

i have a poodle that comes about twice a year..old man drive a brand new mercedes, but he just does not listen. poor dog always has maggott on the rear end, screams the whole time cuz it hurts!! i have to soak the dog for about an hour to remove the poop on the butt...last time i actually cried while i was working on it(the poor thing was skin and bones on the last visit).he now has a caretaker who assured me that the dog will be cared for...yah right,that was 4 month ago,i saw her in the store and she was wearing new expensive jeans,new nails, and hair extensions..i think she treated herself and forgot about the poor dog. the SPCA said they can't do anything.

Comment

Working...
                              X