skip tooth vs finishing blades

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• skip tooth vs finishing blades

I find that I use the finishing blades almost exclusively. So I would like to know from others, do you use skip tooth blades a lot? under what conditions are skip-tooth blades better for you?

Originally posted by Terry View Post
    I find that I use the finishing blades almost exclusively. So I would like to know from others, do you use skip tooth blades a lot? under what conditions are skip-tooth blades better for you?
    Had to think about it and was surprised to realize that I use skips much more often than finish blades with the exception of 7f's for clipdowns and in reverse for terrier heads/necks when appropriate. Cotton coats and terriers turn out much nicer/natural for me using skips but I do a lot of scissoring on every groom. 7 skips are the ultimate blade for skimming and sculpting long coats.

Comment

i only use my finishing blades, hate the skips theyre an accident waiting to happen

Comment

skip tooths are great for shaving down matted dogs. It can get under mats that the F blades cant. Skip tooths are great for skimming fuzz and fly aways off coats. Also great for skimming and shaping back end feathers and under the tail.

Comment

I use skips on a lot of terriers, and to take down a heavy coat fast. The skips feed more hair into the cutter, so they work really well for plowing through those heavy coated furry beasts.

Comment

Hmm, good question. I was taught with all skip tooth blades. I didn't know they existed until I started my grooming shop and bought my own equipment(i know thats sad, I find that skip tooths will not leave a very smooth cut. The skips tend to leave a little wave or a little more texture to the coat. I always use skip tooths on matted dogs, it gets through the coat easier but you just have to be careful on not cutting the dog. hope this helps , Pam

Comment

I use finishing blades. I don't like to use skips because they are too easy to cut the dog and they leave to many lines. JMO

Comment

I occassionally use my skip-tooth blades. but mainly on Terriers and some Cockers when I'm wanting a rougher, more natural looking finish. Coat texture is the deciding factor for me.
                Sheri
                Last edited by Cosette; 02-05-07, 01:50 PM.

Comment

Skips of w/ out CV

I am afraid of skip tooths, I got a 5skip by mistake when I ordered laubes lattime...kept it thinking I should give it a try...still in plastic. Little dogs...which is all I do..sem to be at risk If I am the one using a skip...not saying others can't do a great job w/ them. I think a 7skip fpr skimming big poodle legs would be great. without the cv on. Ol Harry..first and only boss..used a modified 7skip for Poo legs and the like. They ,looked Great..backthen, Marlene had not invented the cv...she was probably still in HS or Jr. high as she is younger than I by 10 or more years.

Comment

It depends on what kind of dog I am doing.
                    The only F blades I use are the 7F and 5F. I use them on Cocker and Terrier backs , on some Poodles (usually if I am doing a Town and Country) and shavedowns to get a smoother look.
                    I like a 4, 5 and 3 3/4 skip on ShihTzus, Lhasas, Maltese etc.I think the skips give a plushier look. I also like the skips for going through heavy or really long coats. I don't use 4F or 3 3/4F's at all..I dont like how they go through the coat.
                    I have some 7 skips that I rarely use...they scare me. I'm so afraid I am going to slice a dog wide open with them.

Comment

I use mostly skip blabes, it does depend on the coat. I think the full blades cut closer than the skip blades even though it says they are the same length.

Comment

I use skips for blending pattern lines...they are great for skimming down the side on a westie or shnauzer or scottie to give a continuous blend. Sometimes on westies i only use a skip...use the 5 skip on the back and just skim down the sides. I always use the F blade for the throat area though.

Comment

I only use the finishing blades, don't even have skip tooth any more.
                          "There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face."
                          Diane

Comment

The only skip blades I own are #3's. And that's only because I messed up when I ordered them.

I do use them occasionally, when I have a big hairy shavedown. But I prefer FC blades.

Comment

I use skips on Terriers other than that I F'up everything:-)

Comment

Working...
                              X