Poodle puppy age???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poodle puppy age???

Hi..I had a new customer call me and inquire about grooming a new poodle pup. Asked all the tipical questions on the phone...age shots..and she replied that the puppy was 12 weeks and had several series of vacs.
    When she arrived with the puppy I was amazed it was tiney tiny and looked 3-4 weeks old..I asked her if she was sure if she was right about the age.Yes I have the papers on her..This puppy had NO teeth and didn't look like it was old enough to cut any..So my question is..Is it possible for a 12 week old poodle not to have cut its teeth..OR is someone selling these puppies at a very early age calling them "teacups"..

i never in my life seen a puppy at 12 weeks without having its teeth in yet.as for the possabilities of someone selling out extremely young pups such as this .iI would dare to say sadly yes it it very possible for this to happen.although many would not stoop to such extrme low levels for the sake of profit unfortunately there are those than will and do.i highly suggest speeking to this owner and having a private vet other than the one the breeder refered her to to check this for her.there is definately something not normal for a dog of this age to not have cut teeth yet and yet still be sold.

Comment

Did you point out the lack of teeth to the client and ask about that? Ican remember seeing a very tiny Shih Tzu take cut teeth very late. It was obviously a very poor quality pup and I think has some other health problems later. I would suspect the same of the Poodle pup your asking about. Don't know why people think they have to have something either way oversize or undersize. Breeds are suposed to be particular sizes for a reason.

Lisa

Comment

without teeth how does this dog eat? UGH. You should have to go through a class before you are allowed to have a dog.
        If your dog is fat, you are not getting enough exercise!

Comment

It's more common for a puppy to have extra teeth, even a complete double set, than to have no teeth at all. Even in the tiniest toys. And I'd be very suspicious of a puppy that was being represented as 12 weeks old that didn't have any teeth.

I'm also wondering if this person has bothered to take her new pup to the vet yet. Seems reasonable the vet would have taken one look at this pup and determined that it's either way younger than stated, or has some very serious health issues.

Comment

Originally posted by doggiestlist View Post
            i never in my life seen a puppy at 12 weeks without having its teeth in yet.as for the possabilities of someone selling out extremely young pups such as this .iI would dare to say sadly yes it it very possible for this to happen.although many would not stoop to such extrme low levels for the sake of profit unfortunately there are those than will and do.i highly suggest speeking to this owner and having a private vet other than the one the breeder refered her to to check this for her.there is definately something not normal for a dog of this age to not have cut teeth yet and yet still be sold.
            I have seen this on several occasions lately..And it always seems to be the same vet that is reccommended..This certain shop is NOT know for selling quality pups but people continue to buy from them..They sell them as teacups and they grow to be 12-15 lbs dogs..But people never seem to learn or will listen when someone tells them different..INFACT I have a article out of Dog Fancy that explains that the term "teacups" is only a fancy term for the runt of the litter. I have it lamenated and show anyone that uses the "teacup" term.

Petagree

Comment

[QUOTE=lvdobes;15090]Did you point out the lack of teeth to the client and ask about that? Ican remember seeing a very tiny Shih Tzu take cut teeth very late. It was obviously a very poor quality pup and I think has some other health problems later. I would suspect the same of the Poodle pup your asking about. Don't know why people think they have to have something either way oversize or undersize. Breeds are suposed to be particular sizes for a reason.

Oh yea as soon as she handed me the pup..without even looking at the teeth I could tell it was a tiny baby dog..When I showed her the gums minus any teeth she said it was because it was a teacup and they are delayed in teething..BULL....And yes this pet shop is well known for selling **** dogs for a high price..but they have no trouble selling them..
              And most of the vets around here stick thier heads in the sand instead of being honest about the facts..Just can't seem to make people understand that even tho a dog is papered..DOES NOT make the facts on the papers as true..dates can be falsified very easliy..

Petagree

Comment

Originally posted by diamienono View Post
                without teeth how does this dog eat? UGH. You should have to go through a class before you are allowed to have a dog.
                I not only agree with that diamienono..But why can't people who wish to breed and sell be licensed to do it in a more honest manner..
                I do remember a time when you bought a AKC puppy you knew exactly what you were purchasing,,NOW?????

Petagree

Comment

Originally posted by Helly View Post
                  It's more common for a puppy to have extra teeth, even a complete double set, than to have no teeth at all. Even in the tiniest toys. And I'd be very suspicious of a puppy that was being represented as 12 weeks old that didn't have any teeth.

I'm also wondering if this person has bothered to take her new pup to the vet yet. Seems reasonable the vet would have taken one look at this pup and determined that it's either way younger than stated, or has some very serious health issues.
                  I did ask her the vets opinion on the pups age and he told her that the tiny breeds are sometimes delayed cutting teetdh.. Crapola...
                  I'm no vet and never claimed to be but I do have years of common sense to tell me this is his way out of letting a bad breeder go unchallenged..

And in addition to health issues I explained to her that if the puppy was sold way too young social issues are a certainty..As momma teaches them social skills the longer they are allowed to remain with her..The better behaved they are as companions. Fell on deaf ears...

Petagree

Comment

Edited.
                    Last edited by pamperedpups; 02-25-07, 05:06 PM.

Comment

I just had a little Shih Tzu in last month and she was 12 wks old and nO TEETH, I never seen this before in my life!! I too thought maybe this dog was younger than the owner thought. wierd

Comment

Originally posted by pamperedpups View Post
                        I was also wondering if the pup has been to a vet with the new owner. Did you ask your client more about the pup, or did you let it go? I would have been hesitant to stress and expose the pup if it appeared very young and I was questioning the possibility of it having all of it's vaccinations. Many unscrupulous breeders will try to pass off young pups as older so they can be advertised as "Teacups," etc.
                        No I am a big question groomer... and don't mind speaking my mind...LOL and she had her vac records with her..She wanted a full groom and I told her on something that young I always just to a little trim to get them started//minimal stress as possible..Tho I do encourage to start them as soon as possible as I have gotten 12 - 16 week old pups that were almost impossible to do..
                        I only kept it in the shop for an hour..then called to have it picked up..I really told her I thought she had been mislead in its age but she was more prone to agree with the breeder and the vet than anything I had to say.

Petagree

Comment

Originally posted by Plexi View Post
                          I just had a little Shih Tzu in last month and she was 12 wks old and nO TEETH, I never seen this before in my life!! I too thought maybe this dog was younger than the owner thought. wierd

I think that is the deception of the breeders..they want people to think a 12 week old pup only weighs 1-2 lbs..Alaaa.."teacup" = more money

Petagree

Comment

Edited.
                            Last edited by pamperedpups; 02-25-07, 05:05 PM.

Comment

It is really sad that there are breeders who will risk the health of puppies by selling them way too young so that they can be passed off as a "teacup" size. I was surprised to learn that the "teacup" craze is now also popular in cats as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X