WalMart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WalMart

Remember the WalMart that has the grooming shop in Franklin TN? We had a long thread on it on the old board. I was at that WalMart today and stopped to look at the porfolio they have on the table outside the window. A goomer in the window was doing a very badly matted collie. Tons of hair everywhere. A man (turned out to be the manager or owner I think) came out to talk to me while I looked in the book. At first he asked me about my dogs but I told him I was looking in it because I was in grooming school. He seemed very interested in this and started to tell me all about the salon. I didn't ask him anything about anything he did all the asking and when I left he gave me his name and the name of the other manager and told me to call when I got out of school. I did ask him if they pay on commission and he said they will pay commission or salary it is up to the groomer what they want. He told me all his groomers had gone to Concord Grooming School in Knoxville. I didn't even know there was a school in Knoxville. A man did come over and ask about grooming his 18lb short hair dog (he wasn't sure what it was, he said it looks like a "Daxund dog"(love peoples accent from TN)!
    The man quoted him 45 dollar charge for a full groom. If anyone remembers the old thread they had a husky at 35 when they opened.
    Not sure I want to work there but honestly I'd groom dogs at McDonalds when I get out of school if they will pay me.
    He was a very nice man and seemed honestly interested.

I would definitely follow up on the oportunity. I would talk to them some more to see if the opportunity that they have fits what you are looking for. I think that good opportunities can be found in both small business groom shops as well as corporate grooming shop settings. I have personally only worked with small business grooming shops, but I have known others who worked for corporate salons and they had very happy and successful careers. I say follow up and always keep all of your options open.

Comment

Originally posted by barepaws View Post

Not sure I want to work there but honestly I'd groom dogs at McDonalds when I get out of school if they will pay me.
      He was a very nice man and seemed honestly interested.
      LOL, that was FUNNY!!!

At $45 smacks for a "daxsund dog" I hope it gets a shave too!

Tammy in Utah
      Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

a JOB is a JOB... as long as it doesn't question your ethics:-)

Comment

The last three reponses summed it up very well. Their payscale seems 'professional leve' if that's the correct word. Ive heard some groomers in my area say they would never groom at Walmart because they have their pride. Some of these girls are recent grads and still looking. My Dad once said 'its nice to have pride, but they dont accept pride at the supermarket'. I love Gracy Rose's response.

Comment

Heck, I'd definitely keep that option open. It's very cool that he came up to you too. Like everyone else said a job is a job!

So, I'm curious is it set up a lot like the other corporate grooming salons? You know fish bowl type grooming I guess you could say?
            Scratch a dog and you'll find a permanent job. ~Franklin P. Jones

Comment

I am curious too, does this Walmart have food? If so do they let the dogs in that way or is it another entrance? I just wondered how they would do that. I think there are health regulations aren't there? I am imagining a location in their stores like the hair salons or eye glass place right inside.

Comment

Yes they are just like the petsomethings and have the fishbowl window.

They have an outside entrance to the salon for the dogs.

Check out the old thread on the old board it is a sticky thread in the general grooming section.

You all are right a job is a job. It is always much easier to get the "good" job after you have worked. Kind of like the bad circle of credit. Can't get it until you already have it?? My issue is it is 45min from where I live. As it is right now I drive to the airport 1 hour everyday. I'm so sick of the drive. I will look around here but there isn't much except vet clinics that have groomers in this area. My options are always open.

Comment

Follow up with them...you never know what could come of it. When I first started grooming I worked several different locations/types of salons. I wanted to get a feel for every opportunity out there. I worked at the petsomethings, I worked in a vets office, I did mobile, and worked in several more personal salons.

I found I preferred the more personal approach to grooming. That will be different for everyone....don't be afraid to get your feet wet in every environment....then decide what YOU like.

Good Luck!

Comment

Originally posted by barepaws View Post
                    Yes they are just like the petsomethings and have the fishbowl window.

They have an outside entrance to the salon for the dogs.

LOL, I can just imagine a dog getting loose, a half shaved cocker perhaps, running through the frozen foods section. LOLOLOL

Tammy in Utah
                    Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

WalMart Grooming.

To all,

Mr. Irwin Rashkover the CEO and driving force behind the Pet Grooming facilites in WalMart has been named one of the 25 people to watch in 2007, "Movers and Shakers" in the pet industry by "Pet Product News"

I have to say from the start that they have contacted us about using the Groomers Helper in all their stores. They have gotten their master lease and will have a grooming facility in most store in the future. They are definately looking out for the health and safety of their employees and customers.

They are looking for top quality groomers, assistant groomers and bathers. I would recommend that you get in on the ground floor. In any new business oppurtunities abound and you will be able to climb the Corporate ladder much quicker.

We in the Grooming Industry applaud Mr. Rashkover for keeping his High Standards and not just settleing for "Bargain Basement Grooming"

As with any new venture they will have their share of growing pains. Just like the other "PetSomthings" I would not look at them as a threat but as an allied part of our Industry. In the long run they help us all. The corporates have grown this industry in a few short years by Billions. There is absolutely a "Trickle Down Effect". I actually think is is more like a 'Flood".

This is just my opinion. Please no PetSomthing Bashers because I am talking about the Industry as a whole and not individual stores or mishaps.

Chuck
                      Last edited by Chuck; 02-04-07, 10:46 AM.

Comment

LOL!!! That's funny, Chuck!! I contacted them about a job and was told that I didn't have the qualifications they were looking for. (ISCC Certified and I'm NOT qualified???) I was mostly interested in the salary they plan to pay as I like to keep well ahead of the corp. stores price wise

Comment

Not qualified?

Dear BowWow,

What exactly did they say they were looking for? If ISCC certified is not enough what were their standards? I know Pam Lauretzen's organization to be top notch. Some of the best groomers in the world are ISCC certified.

You must have reached a corporate "know it all". There are a few people who hide in corporate positions because they could not be employed anywhere else. These people are detrimental to their organizations and cause a lot of trouble for them and it takes awhile for corporate to root them out.

I certainly would have taken your name and contact info and certainly given you a chance to prove yourself. To make a blanket statement like that seems like they are cutting off their noses to spite their face. If not for their current location how about the next. Somthing sounds fishy. Could anyone looking for a groomer blow off a ISCC certified groomer?

This is a new organization and they are going to make their share of mistakes. But other then Jesus do you know of any other "perfect person".

My point is just a few bad apples do not spoil the whole orchard. You said you were not serious anyway maybe they picked up on that.

If you are still interested in the future call me I know the boss! Being ISCC certified would only be an asset to them.

Chuck

Comment

edited message
                            Last edited by h2h; 01-07-10, 02:08 PM.

Comment

Sounds reasonable.

Dear h2h,

That sounds a little more reasonable then just rejecting qualified and certified groomers.

I can understand Corporate asking applicants to prove their qualifiactions at a training facility set up to test with their standards.

Thanks for the info.

Chuck

Comment

Working...
                              X