He never bites at home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• He never bites at home

I did this tiny yorkie that was a piranha. He came in matted, but not terribly. I brushed him out in about fifteen minutes but the whole time he was screaming and trying to bite. He even went for my face a couple of times. I muzzled him and used the Groomer's Helper and got him done. When the owner picked up, I mentioned that he didn't like the brushing. The owner said, "Oh, he never bites. He will growl and pretend, but he never bites for real."

Are dogs really that different for us? Or is he matted because they're not brushing well and that's why he doesn't bite? I've never heard this line before on a biter.

My guess is that they are worse for us at times because we push them past what the owners do. Owners will brush and give up when they start squirming or cry out. We cant do that. we have to get the mats out so the dog has to escalate the behavior it has at home that makes the owner stop. Once you groom him a few times and he sees you are not going to be scared into stopping he may relax.

There is also the fact that the dog has a bond with its owner and no real bond with you. (sometimes that works against us and sometimes it works for us)

Comment

I would think they are not pushing him to the limits that you are. That is why he is matted.
      If your dog is fat, you are not getting enough exercise!

Comment

I had a new client 2y/o chow mix yesterday started out very timid - peed when trying to get him into the tub kinda whiney and dancey while bathing and drying. Went to do his nails jumping around screaming like a banshee. Boss comes over and puts an E-collar on him and attempt to do a couple more nails. He peed and pooped all over. We obviously stopped, when she went to release him from the table he started growling, thrashing around scratched her all up and slamed his head and the E-collar right into my face, every single tooth showing and lunging at my boss. She got him on the floor and he was jumping in the air and lunging towards her face. When the owner of the dog came he said "Oh I thought maybe you'd have better luck doin his nails than we do at home". GRRRRRR!!!. Did my boss not ask him when he dropped the dog off it there were any behavior issues or anything we needed to know and he said no. He was made to pay the bath and drying charge even though we couldn't get jaws back into the tub after he messed himself. We still performed the whole bath.

Comment

Originally posted by Reader View Post
          I did this tiny yorkie that was a piranha. He came in matted, but not terribly. I brushed him out in about fifteen minutes but the whole time he was screaming and trying to bite. He even went for my face a couple of times. I muzzled him and used the Groomer's Helper and got him done. When the owner picked up, I mentioned that he didn't like the brushing. The owner said, "Oh, he never bites. He will growl and pretend, but he never bites for real."

Are dogs really that different for us? Or is he matted because they're not brushing well and that's why he doesn't bite? I've never heard this line before on a biter.
          I would be inclined to beleive the owner of her statement about not biting at home if the dog had not come to you with mats.chances are if sahe brushes the dog at home she stops when he begins to put up a fight or growl .number 1 many dog owners do stop before the dog gets mad enough to bite.if the owner doesnt tolerate this some owner will decilpine the pet for any agression .there is no such thing as he wont let me brush him its how much the pet rules the owner that makes the difference...as for the coment my dog doesnt bite if its got teeth it bites.

Comment

Originally posted by diamienono View Post
            I would think they are not pushing him to the limits that you are. That is why he is matted.
            BINGO...lol.... You know at home when they brush little Cujo and he starts yipping or growling they say in a smarmy voice, "oh am I hurting you" and they stop brushing and bring him to the groomer 6 months later for us to deal with and can then honestly say they never bite at home....lol (talk about a run on sentence!)
            SheilaB from SC

Comment

Everyone hit the nail on the head. We get this a lot. And you know what else? When I try to explain to people about their dog being matted a lot of times they don't get it. They say I just brushed him, etc. And when I tell them it will take 25 minutes they say ok, and don't understand how it can be painful because he "LOVES" getting brushed at home. So I tke a comb up front, wedge it in and pull, lol...and they get it right away. I tell them you can take your time at home. You can take 3 days to brush the little guy out at home, but we have to do it all at once...
              Scratch a dog and you'll find a permanent job. ~Franklin P. Jones

Comment

re:not a biter

that is what i hear repeatedly, then when you point out the behavior, the parent either thinks it's funny or blames the groomer for the dogs bad behavior. i would die of embarrassment if my dogs acted like that to anyone. another favorite of mine is: oh, i can't brush fluffy at home, she bites me. these people are allowing behavior that is completely unacceptable and then expecting a total stranger to work magic.

Comment

I don't hear "He never bites at home" nearly as often as I here "Why does he let you do it? He bites me when I try." to which I answer "Because I haven't taught him that biting will make me stop."

I run into the same problem with obedience classes; "Why will he do it for you when he won't do it for me?" Same answer. "I haven't taught him he can get away with not doing it."

Comment

"He's the nicest dog in the world"

How many times have we heard that line?

Turns out that the nicest dog in the world is an alligator.

How about "You might have to muzzle him".

My experience is when they say "Princess" is the nicest dog in the world, that's the dog who is gonna try and bite your face off!

Or when they bring in the Dobie with a spiked collar on and say, "You might have to muzzle him", That this is sweet dog only looking for affection that his agressive owner does not give him and with a little calm kindness this dog will lick you to death.

I for one have learned not to trust the owners perception and never let my guard down. I evaluate the dogs temperment no matter what the owner says. I still will not let my guard down or put my face in theirs.

Chuck

Comment

Lady brought me in a german shepard-lab mix. Can't cut his toe nails. They were so long that one of them had grown into the pad. All I had to do was touch the toe and the dog would yep like I get every quick. I trim them so nice and never got a quick, I was so proud of myself. The owner would stop the second the dog let out a yep. Couldn't stand to hurt the dog.

Comment

Yes Chuck, Princess isn't her full name. It's really Princess of Darkness. And Angel is really Fallen Angel. And it seems Killer is usually Kill You With Kindness.

Comment

Edited.
                          Last edited by pamperedpups; 02-25-07, 05:04 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X