The importance of oatmeal shampoo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The importance of oatmeal shampoo

Two dogs were supposed to get oatmeal shampoo and I bathed them in regular shampoo. When I realized, I rebathed them in the oatmeal shampoo. The customer came back and complained of itching. I guess the shampoo really is important. What would you do if you used the wrong shampoo?

Also this will be a moot point pretty soon because the corporate higher ups have decided to discontinue the oatmeal shampoo. I think it is a really bad idea, because we get a lot of requests for it, but I don't think corporate is listening.

I would have done a vinigar rinse then used the oatmeal shampoo. That way you cut all the left over shampoo.
    If your dog is fat, you are not getting enough exercise!

Comment

Too much itching can also be caused by using Oatmeal shampoo too often. I had a lady that would always shampoo her dogs in oatmeal EVERY week and couldn't figure out why they were still itching. From my understanding it can be over-used as well.

I'm curious to hear what others have to say.

Tammy in Utah
      Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

I've been using Oatmeal anti-itch shampoo all winter on the dogs, as they tend to get dryer skin in the winter with all the heaters and fireplaces going...so far, no complaints...

Comment

I am curious too all I use it oatmeal.

Comment

Rebathing could have caused the problem. Sometimes it can dry out the skin, oatmeal or no oatmeal.
            Scratch a dog and you'll find a permanent job. ~Franklin P. Jones

Comment

Originally posted by rapuzzled View Post
              Rebathing could have caused the problem. Sometimes it can dry out the skin, oatmeal or no oatmeal.

Ooooo, good point Rapuzzled, very good point.

Tammy in Utah
              Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

I use a great shampoo

With only compliments, no complaints ever. But an owner, just Thursday, called the attendant to say she wanted her terrier bathed in their Oatmeal. I had just toweled the dog. So back in the tub, rebathed. The shampoo they have has Aloe Vera and Tea Tree Oil in an Oatmeal shampoo. Could actually cause problems for some allergies, but I did it. They give me a $25 tip everytime so didn't want to disagree.

Thus I'm waiting for more information here too.
                Money will buy you a pretty good dog but it won't buy the wag of it's tail.

Comment

I use Davis Oatmeal and Aloe shampoo all the time and I also use the oatmeal leave in conditioner. Has anyone used Emu shampoo? I do and I love it on dogs with real dry skin and it smells nice to me.

Comment

I am honest to a fault. If I groomed a pet that required a special shampoo and I mistakenly used the wrong one, I would have probably rinsed extra well as soon as I realized the mistake, rewahsed with the proper shampoo and used used extra conditioner. I would definately tell the client what I had done.

Then I would have come up with a solution so that I wouldn't make the mistake again and let the client know how I panned to avoid letting it happen again.

I keep cards on each of my clients and pull them daily. I am fanatical about checking the cards and making bold notes of important instructions in hopes of avoiding these types of things. I have a place to hold the card up so I can easily reference it while I work. So far this has worked great, but mistakes can happen.

If I worked in a situation as you do, I would inform the management and follow their protocal. It will be interesting to see how the clients react to having a popular shampoo discontinued from the grooming shops selection. I hope that you keep us informed as to how it goes.

Comment

I like oatmeal shampoo but have had many dogs that cannot tolerate it. Normally, I don't like the way it works on black dogs and have had several buff cockers that became very itchy after using oatmeal shampoo.

Comment

I have a dry erase board in the bathing room right by the tub, to note those special request on. Try that, it might help not to make that mistake again..

Comment

Dogs can be allergic to anything, oatmeal or not:-) My only worry about the Vinegar rinse is the acid content will purify the coat which removes the oils, if the dog is on Frontline or other Topical Flea it will reduce its effectiveness.

Comment

I use oatmeal too

I've never had a complaint about oatmeal shampoo either. And I use it on my own dogs for baths - I do agree that it's not for every dog though. Using it with the proper skin type I would think is important. Over bathing is another problem altogether. I have so many that come in weekly for baths, becuase it's what they prefer. Do any of ya'll recommend a dog not come in weekly for baths (besides the obvious reasons - like dry skin, etc)?

Comment

I remember somebody explained how oatmeal shampoo works, (probably Helly lol) if I remember correctly, its an exfoliant, so if its over used it can over-exfoliate.

I think a lot of times people confuse oatmeal with hypo-allergenic and assume they are one and the same. I don't know the brand name but our 'special' and medicated shampoos are made by the same company that makes malaseb, chlorahexaderm, etc. The relief (oatmeal) bottle says its to relieve itching, the hylyte (hypo-allergenic) says its a gentle, soap-free shampoo for general cleansing.

I have to say, I don't know what is in hylyte, but it gets the dogs CLEAN! I will sometimes use a glob of it on especially dirty pets or cocker ears even if they're getting the regular shampoo. I've noticed Chlorahexaderm is another one that leaves them squeaky clean.

Sorry, I know I went a wee bit off topic.

Comment

Working...
                              X