Good clipper for pet owners?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good clipper for pet owners?

I had someone ask me what kind of clippers are good for home grooming. This lady has a cocker spaniel which she does herself most of the time. Her clippers just died. I was under the impression the "pet" ones weren't really built to last, but do you know of any that are good?

I had a pair of those---the blade is not changable, it just goes goes shorter and longer.

I would say, if she has a cocker and really does want to groom it herself, she should just invest in a set of professional clippers---even the osters, which I can't stand, lol.

Tammy in Utah
    Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

When my clients ask what to get, I refer them to my sharpener who sells reconditioned prof. clippers. These clippers won't be getting a lot of use, so the reconditioned ones should be fine. I wouldn't waste money on some of the pet clippers if I had a cocker...they just aren't powerful enough to cut the hair. Now, if it were a poodle or something with different hair, the pet ones may be fine.

Comment

If an owner is committed to doing their own dog at home, especially a dog with a cocker coat, I usually recommend they get themselves a clipper like the Wahl KM2. It's reasonably priced for a clipper, and will last for years if used for one pet. The cheaper pet clippers seem to be a false economy; they're too underpowered to get through thicker coats. Where I used to groom we sold the Wahl and Andis pet clippers, and also the 2-spd Andis and Wahl KM2. No returns for the last 2 types, but general customer disastisfaction with the 2 cheaper ones-lots of returns.

Comment

For one pet I might even suggest a Speed Feed! They're supposed to be coming out with different blades for them and the combs really do stay on the clipper-unlike some other trimmer/clipper combs...

Comment

when asked by clients what I recommend for purchase I always reccomend andis clippers and a good grooming book for the breed they have and I will state which blades to purchase that I use on clients I would rather lose a client to self grooming to a pet owner that is willing to at least try to do it correctly and safely for their pets.I wont recommend any product I would not use myself.in rare cases I will even show teach the owner how to properly use the equipment just to ensure pet safety.the most common reaction is most still remain my client due to the cost and work factor involved to all nessesary equipment and skill.I always get the comment you make it look so easy lol

Comment

I also suggest Andis, I have a Self Serve salon and people come in all of the time to groom their own dogs.

Comment

Yup, I'd suggest the professional clippers too. The pet clippers are usually louder and vibrate too (can't be good for the hand, lol)
                I especially like Briarpatchs suggestion of reconditioned clippers. That'sa great idea!
                Scratch a dog and you'll find a permanent job. ~Franklin P. Jones

Comment

Thanks, I told her about the same thing. I don't think she needs a book or instruction, from what I've seen she does a pretty good job, and keeps her up nicely. Just needs better clippers!

Comment

Working...
                  X