question for those who work alone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question for those who work alone

how do you get big dogs in the tub that wont walk up stairs or a ramp,i had this situation on wed,a newfie mix,first tried the stairs then the ramp i tried to bribe with treats nothing luckily my friend came by and she helped me put the beast in the tub he was huge,but i think i would of lost a client if i couldnt of got dog in the tub,what do you all do,and i cant have the owner back here for liability reasons thats why i dont ask owner to help out
    thanks
    trish

Well, I ask the owner for help on those that are too large. I have learned to after a pinched nerve in my back to ask for help. If you don't want the owners helping then you simply can't keep that client. Not really any way around it.
    If your dog is fat, you are not getting enough exercise!

Comment

the lady that trained me would push her grooming table right beside her tub, lower the table put dog on it, raise to the height of the tub, crawl in the tub if you have to and coax the dog in, hook up dog, jump out, move table, bath dog, push table back to tub, raise to the height of tub, help dog out, and done.

Comment

Sometimes it works if you have the grooming table up against the tub and lowered and have them hop up onto it if they will hook them up and then raise it and have them walk tinto the tub.

Comment

i have found that very few large dogs are comfortable walking up stairs or a ramp. i think they are too narrow. what i do is lower my electric table all the way down(19" i think) i then slide the electric table over to my drying table which up against my tub, so they are both lenthwise up against my tub...now i have "stairs" that are like 3 feet wide. the dogs are very willing to walk up. this set up is alot more stable than the ramps and stairs. i have a 200lb. leonberger that walk right up. when all else fails. i get the tech from the vet, he's like a linebacker...i have only called him once in 4 years.
          Last edited by elliemae; 02-02-07, 10:16 PM. Reason: unnessarary word

Comment

When I can't get a dog to willingly go up the stairs, I loop a leash under one front leg and across the chest, and a second leash around their back end, and that seems to do the trick. With just a collar around their neck, they like to lay back into it, and won't budge. But moving the pressure to one arm pit and their rear seems to give them that extra incentive to move it.

Comment

Saturdays my hubby or sister work with me and that is the day I only do big dogs.

But I am hoping to get a nice electric table that goes all the way to the floor, put the dog on and secure, wheel over the the tub, lead him to step from table to tub...I expect it will be expensive but cheaper the hiring help!

Comment

I get their front feet onto the edge of the tub, then hold the collar, or loop to keep them steady, then lift their back end by grabbing right between their back legs. It's still heavy, but at least you're not lifting all their weight. Most dogs behave for this.
                Erin
                No Fur, No Paws, No Service.

Comment

How about getting a table that lowers and raises and putting it near the tub. Then the dog can get on a table, you raise the table and voila! Of course, if its not your business you might not have that option. It was nice where I used to work. They had a drainn on the floor so you could bathe the big ones on the floor if you needed.
                  don't find yourself up a creek without a poodle.

Comment

i also work alone, i finally got a table that went all the way to the floor and back up. i paid around $300.00 for it. also i trained my big dogs to put their paws on the edge of the tub then i hoisted them up from the rump area. i use to have a ramp/steps and they would NEVER go up them.

Comment

I don't groom any dog I can't oomph up into tub. On rare ocassions I do let owner help get dog in tub.Liability could be a problem. mostly big dogs are too much for me at my stage of life.Only other way, electric table 19 inches lowest, like coffee table. I would drag out of spot closer to tub..dog up and in. Too heavy..too much trouble.moving heavy tables.

Comment

same situation here! I had to give up a great dane for that reason. I also have a hugeee golden that will be coming in. He will not go up the ramp either. I wish I had bought the Hanvey tub that had the really big door and low to the floor...would have been nice, but it wasnt my choice just stick with the ones you can lift or you know that will "walk the plank" LOL don't break your back doing it!!!!

Comment

When I have a large dog and no one to help me, I first try and lift just his front legs onto the tub side and then the rear end. This can be hard if he really doesn't want to get into the tub. I have also decided because I do so many large dogs that I am going to get an electric lift table with casters on it so that once I have the dog on the table, at a low level, I can just wheel him to the tub and have him step into the tub. I hope this is helpful. Becareful :-)

Comment

Good question! The next time I need to get a big dog in the tub by myself I think I'll try Helly's suggestion since I don't have a hydraulic table. I can get a very large dog in the tub by myself but sometimes the very fat lazy ones won't even keep their front paws on the tub edge. This happened to me a couple weeks ago and luckily a good, strong customer stopped in to make an appointment. I told her I'd take $ off HER dog's groom if she gave me an extra hand! ha ha we were both happy about that.

Comment

I know this isn't a possibility for everyone, but where I work now they have a drain in the floor and an eye bolt in the wall. I hook the kennel lead to the eye bolt, and bathe them on the floor, my feet get soaked but its amazing how much stress it saves me! The dogs do much better, too, they're much more willing to stand up, no one's flinging themselves out of the tub, and if I have to do a medicated bath I can let them soak and either take care of little errands close by or bathe little dogs in the tub. If I ever have my own shop, this is definitely something I will want to have included in the bathing room.

Comment

Working...
                              X