Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time savers?

Hey all,
    Im new to pet groomer and new to dog grooming in general. I got a job at a kennel as grooming manager. I'll be doing everything my self and I'm feeling fairly confident about the whole thing. I've been training with the former groomer for the past week to learn the ropes. This coming week is my first all by myself! Im excited but nervous too. The first week shouldn't be too busy, but the week after is going to be sooo crazy! I was wondering if anyone out there had some time-saving tips for me? Anything at all would be a big help!
    Thanks!

Edited.
    Last edited by pamperedpups; 02-25-07, 05:13 PM.

Comment

Probably the biggest time-saver is no roughing in before the bath. Clean hair combs out better and you'll save a good 15min per pet if you put them in the tub first-as long as you're using a HV dryer that is.
      Old groomers never die, they just go at a slower clip.

Groom on!!!

Comment

Karla is sooooo right, this is the biggest thing I have to teach new groomers. Not to mention, your blades, scissors, and other tools will stay sharper longer not being used on a dirty dog.

Comment

I agree that having a system for everything from checking in clients to grooming procedures saves time and makes business run smoothly. I am also really careful to organize everything in my businesses so that it creates an ergonomicly smart work area. Removing all clutter and arranging work furnishings and tools for speed and safety make a big difference. I'm always surprised to see businesses where the workers have to manuver around obsticles and clutter to get thier jobs done.

Comment

Same, don't rough-clip the dog, just go straight to the tub.

Make sure you do a nice dry on the dog, or and comb it before clipping, if the hair is to be fairly long.

Good luck, feel free to come here for questions. We ALL have answers, lol.

Tammy in Utah
            Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

Thanks everyone! those were some really good tips! My biggest issue is that when brushing out a dog or scissoring, I tend to loose track of time. I feel like I should be looking at the clock more to keep myself in check. I had an idea that I thought might help me out. What if I get one of those little baking timers and set it while in brushing or what not so I dont go over board...what do you think?

Comment

Dry the dog well...Special absorb towels help. The reward is the finished for trim part.Make the coat as good as you can to enjoy the trimming. Have a few good tools...better than nickel and dime junk .Make sure scissors fit your hand,.Buy quality...Do quality.Haste makes Waste.

Comment

One of those little timers may be a good idea, not sure. I just think time and practice are the best for time savers. Myself I would almost feel too much pressure with a timer ticking away, but hey that's just me. May work for you to help you out to see what you can get done in a certain amount of time.
                  "There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face."
                  Diane

Comment

Edited.
                    Last edited by pamperedpups; 02-25-07, 04:52 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X