Three legged dog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Three legged dog

Alright so today I got something interesting in the shop, and lets just say it wasnt my easiest groom. From having a difficult time cutting nails to trimming the sanitary area and all parts in between this dog was rough. I totally understand it was because he had 3 legs but I keep thinkin theres gotta be an easier way. If anyone has any suggestions Im all ears. Also I am wondering whether I should adjust the price for dogs like this.

Edited.
    Last edited by pamperedpups; 02-25-07, 05:14 PM.

Comment

My customer that has a 3 leg aussie wanted me to take 1/4 off the price. I just laughed and told him that I will charge him more. Anyway, do do the back nails I just supported the whole rear with my arm under belly. I let her sit so I could do the front legs. I really had no problem. Very well behaved dog
      If your dog is fat, you are not getting enough exercise!

Comment

Hey Dude,

I have a few three legged dogs that I groom. One of our vets has a three legged dog. I usually do the whole grooming which they dont have much trouble with, then let them lay down for the nails and feet. You get the hang of it after you do it a few times and soon it just turns into a regular grooming.

Comment

Thanks for the advice, I had never done a 3 legged dog before so it was awkward for to try and figure how he like to sit and how i should go about supporting him. Also the dog was like a blue heeler mix and a good bit over weight so it was tough for me to support him. I know its just like anything though, I just need to do a few more and they will become just like a rgular groom. By the way I was never thinking about discounting him...lol

Comment

I used to have a 3 legged lab, my daddy had a 3 legged English Setter, and my sister had a 3 legged Doxxie X. I have some experience...lol.... I would always groom my lab and Daddy's Setter on the ground. I just felt safer that way because they do tend to need to hop to adjust their footing. As my lab got older I would make sure to put thick towels in the tub when I was bathing him so he would have extra traction. As far as when you do nails, just make sure to either have someone help support him, or if he is not that big of a dog you can "wedge" your shoulder under them for support. Except for a few minor exceptions, treat them like you would any other dog. They don't know they are "disabled" so don't ltell them....lol
            SheilaB from SC

Comment

I've only groomed one 3-legged dog, and he was an okay dog for the grooming. I don't think I'd turn one away unless the dog was nasty. But then I'm kind of biased-I used to have a 3-legged cat and he was awesome!

Comment

I do a few 3 legged dogs. For the nails, I do them with the foot on the table. It takes a little getting used to, but it can be done.

The sani depends on if it's a front or rear leg that's missing. If it's rear leg, I just do it from the side that's missing a leg. If it's a front leg, I lift the rear leg on the opposite side. It's not too difficult.

Do I adjust the price? Yes. I charge for the amount of time it takes. So if it takes me longer, I charge more. If it takes me less time, I charge less.

Comment

I've groomed a couple 3 legged dogs. One actually had the 4th leg but it was twisted and contorted which left it basically useless. To top it off it was a poodle and the owner wanted bracelets left...Ugh! I would try supporting that shoulder with an extra grooming loop or leash. He was a good boy and tolerated me working on him.

Now, I groom a maltese with 3 legs, the owners found him after he was hit by a car so there's no way of knowing if he was tempermental before or reacted to losing his leg, but he can get snappy. With him, I use the GH due to his temperment and try to support all of his weight when I have to lift up his remaining rear leg.

I wouldn't adjust the price based on the fact that the dog has 3 legs, unless it means spending a whole lot more time on it. I think it balances out, its harder keeping them balanced, but its easier because there's one less leg to work on.

Comment

i do a little pooX, that has only one front leg, when i do his back feet, i just lay him across my lap, on his tummy, and i have a pony cinch that i support him with on the table for the rest, kind of like a sling, hes a sweet doggie.

Comment

I have a dog that I groom that has three legs, but here is the sad part: he had to have his leg amputated because of another groomer. He was on a table, the groomer left the room and went out to smoke, the dog jumped off the table, pulled the table onto his leg and by the time the groomer got back the leg had gone too long without blood flow.

Comment

Edited.
                        Last edited by pamperedpups; 02-25-07, 05:09 PM.

Comment

These are great tips. I haven't had a three legged dog yet, but I will keep these ideas in mind.

Also, Gracy Rose, What a profound reminder to never leave a pet unattended when grooming. I never leave pets anattended and have never worked with anyone who did thankfully. It's so unfortunate for the entire grooming profession when these types of things happen.

Comment

Originally posted by toomuchfunbnme View Post
                            These are great tips. I haven't had a three legged dog yet, but I will keep these ideas in mind.

Also, Gracy Rose, What a profound reminder to never leave a pet unattended when grooming. I never leave pets anattended and have never worked with anyone who did thankfully. It's so unfortunate for the entire grooming profession when these types of things happen.
                            It is soooo horrrible when these things happen, but you are right. We need to use them as learning experiences and hard lessons learned. DO NOT LEAVE A DOG ON THE TABLE!!!!! In the past I have been in the bad habit of leaving dogs I "trusted" on the table. This was a bad habit I learned at the first shop where I groomed, and believe it or not at the school I attended. They did it ALL THE TIME!! Thanks to this board and others sharing their experiences I am now extremely concious of never getting out of arms range from them, because it only takes a second for the unthinkable to happen!
                            SheilaB from SC

Comment

Originally posted by misscatahoula View Post
                              I've only groomed one 3-legged dog, and he was an okay dog for the grooming. I don't think I'd turn one away unless the dog was nasty. But then I'm kind of biased-I used to have a 3-legged cat and he was awesome!
                              Misscat, I groom a 3 legged cat (front right leg amputated), and she is the sweetest, BEST cat I groom. I am going to cat nap her! I've told the owners to keep a close eye on her, because I might have to steal her.

Tammy in Utah
                              Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

Working...
                              X