Airedale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Airedale

What blade do you favor? Do you go with the hair or against? Legs: Do you scissor or clip with a comb?

for a reg airdale cut I use a 5 or a 7 blade always with the grain of the hair I normally will cut scissor time down by using a 1 guard on the legs (with grain) and sides to help blend skirting .but not the front of them or the hock. these parts are done with scissors only to cylidar shape the legs properly.hair is then fluffed up with a comb to finish the trim with scissors,
    head is done with the grain with the same blade used on body then blended and scolpted with thinning shears to avoid scissor marks or choppyness.
    hope this helps

Comment

Aaaah Airedales. My favorite. What blade I use depends on the time of year and how short the owner wants to go. Personally I like a 4 on the body, always with the grain. No skirt...just a chest enhacement, scissored up tight. I also use a Furminator, both before and after clipping. It leaves a much better look, and no clipper marks.

I scissor the legs. They should be fairly tight on the back side of the leg, a little more length on the front of the leg makes the foot look tighter. I use thinners and a Coat King on the thighs to blend in the pattern.

The skull and cheeks should be shorter than the body length. I use a 10 or 15 on the ears, a 10 or 7 on the head, and clip the under jaw down, just leaving a goatee. I skim a 3 from the brows toward the nose, leaving a level "fall". The rest is thinned and sculpted in to create a brick shaped.

Comment

I use a #7FC with the grain of the coat on the topline and a #10 on the head and ears. I scissor legs and face

Comment

Thanks! I know the groomer that used to do this dog went against the grain that is why I was asked (they do all dogs pretty much like that), I haven't done 1 since school and had no idea what I used. Not alot of them in my area.

Comment

I generally use a #7 with the grain on the body, after carding a little before, #7 reverse on head, #10 on ears, 5/8 HT blade on the face to take some length off, thinning shear a slight indentation between the "brows" but no huge division, just slight.

I use combs on the legs, blend well, no lines, yuck! I don't leave a huge skirt, a tad of fringe maybe, and scissor around, scissor blend as well, etc...it also depends on the dog and the coat.

Like Helly, I love grooming airedales. They look so awesome when they're done.

Tammy in Utah
            Last edited by SpikeyTheYorkie; 01-31-07, 06:50 PM.
            Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

I remember the first airedale I ever groomed. (sigh) That poor dog looked TERRIBLE. I was all alone in a mobile unit and KNEW I was messing it up by the numbers. I'm amazed the guy never called to complain. He sure deserved a refund THAT day!

However, that experience caused me to grab every airedale I could get my hands on. I wish I could find that guy and offer him a free groom. That was eon's ago. (again...sigh)

Comment

I use a 5 on the body. If the hair is soft and doesn't cut evenly, I use a
                3 3/4 reverse.

Comment

I was wondering if you like to keep the pattern high up on the hip or bring it down towards the flank? Blending to skirt. I was taught to stay high upon the hip - but am getting more requests to lower it. I use a 7f in the summer and 4 in the winter generally and scissor after a #1comb on skirt and legs unless it needs to be fuller.

Comment

I do mine the same as Helly. The biggest mistake I see is people leaving a skirt or thunder thighs, and a huge beard, --Almost no furnishings are left on this breed, just a little goatee, little chest and a little on the legs.

Comment

Oh and when putting the pattern on the rear legs it is more like a schnauzer, don't stay high on the hips -shave the whole back part of the thigh, just leave a little on the front side, just like a schnauzer. -Front leg pattern- shave down to elbow.

Comment

Like Poodlefluff, I do it much like the schnauzer. This is the only way I've known how to do it, as this is like the photos in the books I use.

I saw an odd one lately. The "line" that forms the "skirt" went from the elbow and kept going all the way to the tail in a slant. I've seen it twice now. Usually I see the big poofy pants if I see anything, but that one was the most unusual I've seen on a airedale.

Tammy in Utah
                        Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

I do the same as Helly. Except I don't have a Furminator, plan on buying one though. Course I've only ever groomed 1 Airdale.
                          Becky

Comment

Originally posted by k9srule View Post
                            I was wondering if you like to keep the pattern high up on the hip or bring it down towards the flank? Blending to skirt. I was taught to stay high upon the hip - but am getting more requests to lower it. I use a 7f in the summer and 4 in the winter generally and scissor after a #1comb on skirt and legs unless it needs to be fuller.
                            Airedales shouldn't have a skirt, and the pattern on the rear leg goes down the thigh, similar to a schnauzer. It doesn't extend quite as far down the back of the thigh as a schnauzer, though.

Comment

It isn't so much a skirt as it is a fringe or enhancement;the chest should be as deep as the elbows-if not, the fringe or enhancement. I normally card before the bath and use a 4 or 5. Not too many Airheads in my neck of the woods, either. Last one I did the guy didn't like the price and went elsewhere. LOVED what I did but freaked at the price (BTW-I don't own any skip blades so the blade length I refer to are Fs.)

Comment

Working...
                              X