Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NSF!!

OOOHHHHH!!!! I'm so upset!
    I got a NSF check back in the mail yesterday. I had a bad feeling about the guy in the first place.
    Had a siberian husky. Was late for appt. Did dog anyway. Dog was a sweetheart. The guy was a fruitcake. I know where he works because I see him in the paper all the time. (car dealer salesman) I called him and told him about it and he says "oh, I'm sorry, I'll bring out payment next week" I'm thinking "yeah right"

I know alot of guys on the police force and with the sherrifs office because I groom thier dogs. I also groom the police canine ) Anyway, I call down there and talk to Scott (deputy) and he says I can come down and pick up the proper documents, mail it to the client via certified mail and wait 10 days. If no response after 10 days then they will press charges. Scott asked me who it was and he knew the name right away. I think I will be squeezing a turnip.
    I have done this before but it's been 2 yrs.

How do you guys handle bad checks? I don't want this guy to get away with a free groom. He is also an ex husband of a girl where one of my friends work.
    She said he is bad news.
    Sorry for the vent, I'm just upset.

Well, for one I do hope that you charge a bad check fee.

We have a company that handles it for us. We put the license # and other info into the credit card machine and it verifies the credit, or something along those lines. Long story short if someone bounces a check and they won't cover it, we are covered. The check company reimburses us and they go after the person. Has far as I know it has saved my boss some trouble...bounced checks can be a pain!
    Scratch a dog and you'll find a permanent job. ~Franklin P. Jones

Comment

Oh, I can see why you're upset! So far, this has not happened to me yet (knocking on wood). Hopefully he will come thru and bring the payment in like he said - I would only accept cash. Thankfully there aren't too many of these, or we all would maybe rethink the whole check thing. Hope it works out - got my fingers crossed for ya!

Comment

I just got one of these in mail the other day. I don't bother with a phone call, I send a letter that states that I got check #1234 back from the bank and would they please send cash or a money order to cover the check plus my returned check fee. I state that they have 10 days to do this. If this doesn't work I then send another letter stating that they need to send payment or I will submit a claim to the magistrate for payment. Only once have we not been able to collect. (Still working on that one after a year)

Comment

I sent out a certified letter requesting payment in full ($125) a couple of weeks ago. I'm giving them until tomorrow, then I'm filling out the paper with the District Court. Maybe when they get the notice to go to court they'll pay...or not. If if was less than $50 I probably wouldn't take the time to pursue it, but I'm mad too!!

Comment

I've had a few over the past few years. All but one I collected on. (people wrote me a bad check and skipped town..was less than $50 so I just said the heck with it)
            I call the people and let them know what happened, and the ones I have dealt with so far are really embarrassed about it and come right in to take care of it. So I haven't had to take any further action.
            A simple solution to this would be not to take checks at all. I don't accept plastic, so I take the checks. However, I do not take checks from first time customers. If a regular bounces a check, I will let it slide the first time (things happen) , but if it ever happened again..no more checks from them.

Comment

Over the many years of owning a groom biz, I've had very few checks that I didn't collect on. Most clients want to return, so I think they're careful. In 5 years at my home shop, no checks have been left unpaid. I call right away and they are usually grateful and rush over with cash. For those very few, you can always turn them over to a collection agency. It's simply part of doing business. I'll bet that this biz fares very well on people being honest and paying what they owe compared to other businesses. Worse case, it's a tax write off at year's end.
              Old groomers never die, they just go at a slower clip.

Groom on!!!

Comment

I have had a few people bounce checks. And they were all tough to collect. I finally said "forget it"! I no longer accept checks. I do accept Mastercard & Visa. I have a sign on my door and at my register. I do however have some people feel that this doesn't pertain to them and write checks anyway. So I also have a sign that says "if you must write a check and it is returned, there is a $xx fee". I've even had a hard time collecting the fee. So I try to be careful but I know it happens. I have thought of calling my credit card company to see about checking the accounts before I accept the checks, I like that idea.
                When I was trying to collect, the Police and the Court house would not help me. They told me to go to the persons house and try to collect it myself and to bring a cell phone in case something goes wrong!! Needless to say, I didn't go!

Comment

man that makes me mad! grrr Im sitn with a check now that was returned. I called the owner, said she would be 2 weeks picking it up!! I was floored. I said 10 days is all I hold them before turning it over to the court, so I will see you before 10 days... we'll see. It doesn't happen often..but when it does..its upsetting...

Comment

Fortunately, where I work, I get paid regardless. But this just ticks me off. We had a lady who had 2 schnauzers, one got put down while in boarding (owner requested it, it had a UTI and she could not afford to pay for treatment (a whole $10/month) and refused to let anyone do anything about it...long story, boarding, euthanasia, and one groom on the other schnauzer and she bounced the check.

AND SHE HAD THE NERVE TO TELL ME HOW TO DO A SCHNAUZER PATTERN ON HER DOG! She wanted it WAAAAAAAAAY up on the hip, no way I thought.

Well, this same lady came back 3 months later with a dog that might have parvo and freaked that she'd have to pay in CASH or credit card!! She was so difficult.

I just can't understand people like this. Very frustrating, I hope you get your money, I'd definitely be taking some action on that one!

Tammy in Utah
                    Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

Knock on wood I haven't had any bounced checks for quite awhile. But years ago I had a neighborhood where I groomed 6 dogs. One woman had a maltese, that I groomed every 4 weeks. One time the check bounced, she paid me cash right away. Then a couple of months later another check bounced. I called her and she said she would pay me for two groomings next time I came. She was never home when I got there, her daughter would give me the dog, then leave. I would put the dog back in the house and get my envelope. Well for 2 months she only paid me for one groom. So I called her again. So I get there and she is home and hands me the envelope, she says I had to post date the check I hope that is okay. I am just glad that she gave me the two payments. So after I leave I discover that she gave me two checks and they are both post dated, one for 2 weeks and one for 4. So I deposit the first and it bounces. I call her and she gets real nasty with me. The second check went through okay but I am still out for the first check and she is not returning my calls. I don't know what she told the other people in that neighborhood but I never heard from any of them ever again. So not only did I lose the money for that one grooming and the bounced check fee but I also lost 5 other customers.

Comment

Originally posted by SpikeyTheYorkie View Post
                        Fortunately, where I work, I get paid regardless. But this just ticks me off. We had a lady who had 2 schnauzers, one got put down while in boarding (owner requested it, it had a UTI and she could not afford to pay for treatment (a whole $10/month) and refused to let anyone do anything about it...long story, boarding, euthanasia, and one groom on the other schnauzer and she bounced the check.

AND SHE HAD THE NERVE TO TELL ME HOW TO DO A SCHNAUZER PATTERN ON HER DOG! She wanted it WAAAAAAAAAY up on the hip, no way I thought.

Well, this same lady came back 3 months later with a dog that might have parvo and freaked that she'd have to pay in CASH or credit card!! She was so difficult.

I just can't understand people like this. Very frustrating, I hope you get your money, I'd definitely be taking some action on that one!

Tammy in Utah
                        That's sooo sad that she would put that dog down for a UTI ...some people just don't deserve pets, you know?
                        Scratch a dog and you'll find a permanent job. ~Franklin P. Jones

Comment

i just got one too,the woman is very flaky,i called yesterday and left her a message still no response,i feel like i shouldnt even waste my tame it was for 45.oo bucks,but im so mad,i feel i must go after her anyways

Comment

Me too!!

I groomed a local ladies Westie from the time he was a pup.. for 3 yrs... always met her daughter at school with the dog in the a.m. gave him a nice walk, along with my dog before his groom... kept him ALL DAY and even fed him sometimes - I used to let him just hang out and he would sleep on the chair behind my back while I groomed... he started being kinda bad tho and peeing all over the place, including ON ME... and barking non stop.. and being a PSHYCO on his nails... ANYWAYS,, I always groomed him every 5 weeks.. and in October.. the cheque bounced.. I called and left messages with the owner TWICE... no answer... I basically wrote her off and then in January.... she has her DAUGHTER call... I think we missed our last appt..!!! THE NERVE!! I never returned the call... they called twice but I did not want to even go there or talk to them... I don't need customers like that.... It may sound a little harsh.. but she had done alot of other annoying things over the years like forgetting to pick up her dog, forgetting the new price on her dog, YOU NAME IT!!!

Comment

Take it to the bank

If the check was written to you, then take it to the bank it was written on, present your ID and tell them you'd like to cash it. Go on days people would have deposited the day before. Like Friday is a normal payday, so go Saturday or Monday, when the deposit is likely to have been posted to the account. The bank people can't tell you any info about this person's account but if you get a nice person, you can say "Would coming Every Monday be better than trying every Friday?" and they can look at the records and say yes or no. They also can't tell you over the phone if there is money in the account. You must present the check in person. A personal check is good for 6 months so keep trying.

If the check is written to your Business name, you will have to ask the bank officer exactly what they need from you for you to be able to cash the check. Usually they want your bank to "verify" your signature and prove you, Jane Doe, are an authorized signer on the account of ABC Grooming. If your bank and the bank of the bounced check are the same you have no problem, they just need to pull your signature card.

As long as the account hasn't been closed there is a good chance money will be deposited into it and you will be there to grab your share. You may take money they counted on for their Rent but that's not your problem. They will not know you are coming in and trying to cash the check and will believe you are out of the picture. I've gotten every bounced check that wasn't made good by the client by doing this.
                              Last edited by Sunny; 01-31-07, 04:07 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X