Dog turns mean

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dog turns mean

Groomed this little Bichpoo a few times. Wiggly and spoiled, but never aggressive. Today, she was growling and attempting to bite, even when I clipped hair near her ear. Just two years old. Sometimes she's had some matting, but this time almost nothing. The owner was so proud of her good brushing.

I know the possibilities of just a bad day, health questios, etc, but boy I was looking forward to doing the little girl till she snarled for picking up a leg.

Have many of you ever had a only one time grump, but then not the next time?
    Money will buy you a pretty good dog but it won't buy the wag of it's tail.

Maybe the owners "good brushing" was an unpleasent experience for the dog so she was not looking foward to another one. I have had that happen to me a few times. Really cute yorkie in full coat but dad is a little aggressive when it comes to the brush.
    Maybe you need to give the owner some pointers on how to properly and safely brush out the dog

Comment

It happens. Sometimes there's a health issue, other times I think they just didn't have grooming on their personal agenda for that day. Maybe her owner gave her a really hard brushing the night before. It's hard to say.

I have a few dogs that are good most of the time, but have off days. I just give 'em a "That's good enough" groom, and explain that Phydough would have liked it better if he'd stayed home and watched Lassie reruns today. He really just wasn't in the mood for a makeover. I thought it would be better if we just did what needed to be done this time, and we'll tune it up next time. I've never had a client complain. I think they know their dog well enough to understand, and appreciate my concern for Phydough's wellbeing.

Comment

I have!! I think the dogs have good and bad days. Sometimes I can just feel the vibe off the dog, not always, I do wish it was always tho...no I am not a dog whisper..LOL However just recently one Shih I do he was 16 and just passed last Tues. would be great 1x then grumpy, snappy the next he was a reg. Here he had cancer, and just last week a cocker (standing) my boos does, so sweet for years now, seem to be getting grumpyish the last few appts.snapped and nicked my boss' finger. They called today and said he was diagnosed with cancer.

Comment

Edited.
          Last edited by pamperedpups; 02-20-07, 01:22 AM.

Comment

I have dogs that have "off" days as well. Most of them are in the "bratty" range to begin w/and like you said will turn it up a notch to aggression. Like Helly said, I just do a "good enough". I figure dogs are like people and everyone is entitled to a bad day w/out getting to much grief about it....lol...Maybe it is canine PMS...haha
            SheilaB from SC

Comment

Yes, the definately have off days. One shepherd I do is super hyper, playful. Goes all out all the time. She always has somewhere on her thats hurt.
              If you don't pay attention shell snap the air, then take whatever u have at that moment for a torture device and take it from you. Another wheaten I do, same thing, shes always hurt somewhere. A lot of old dogs with arthiristis are also like that. And it is funny how you know somethings wrong w/them the moment u look at them. I also do a quick job not too detailed when they have their off days.

Comment

Thanks

I have been around a long time, and never have seen such a change. The dog never would have growled or bit or anything before. I'm sure going to hope it was just a bad day, or like you said it could be her trying the new "game" to see if she could get her way with me that way.

Comment

I have a pom that comes every 4 wks and he is very emotional. If his mom's away on business, he will be sad, almost despondent. When she comes home, he sulks and won't even look at her. If I groom him right after she gets home he is CRANKY!, and will snap at me for no reason. Last time he came in he was very loving, animated, full of goodness & light. Told his mom about his sunny mood. She said he was at a sleepover (dogs go on sleepovers now I guess) at a dog that he likes house, and it made him very happy! In the past I had client dogs that were normally well behaved start acting mean & snappish, and it turned out they both had cancer, so who knows.

Comment

Yes, dogs have off days just as we do. Sometimes we can be a little less 'in the zone' and they pick up on it really fast, but it does sound like this guy is starting to assert himself as 'the boss'. I think after you groom a dog for awhile, they begin to feel a bit more comfortable with you and start pulling some of the bad behaviors that work at home.
                    Old groomers never die, they just go at a slower clip.

Groom on!!!

Comment

Frequently, the dogs let me know what the climate is at home. One bichon I groom has been pouting since September when his little girl went off to college. She was home for Christmas break and his was his delightful self again, today since she's gone back to school, he was sad. One of my dog, with an ailing owner gets sick herself if she has to leave his side to come for a groom. Normally, she is a wonderful dog if he is having a good day.

But then again maybe, Arrooh, your bichon mix is like the bichon I watched on Dog Whisperer this last week. Anyone catch that? This little girl bichon was a deamon! The lady tried to bathe it and the dog was biting everything of course the dog was all ready a matted mess when the lady put it in the sink. Why she didn't tie its mouth shut, I'll never know!

Comment

is it possible that the dog had a streined muscle at that time making him a bit more uncomfortable for you lift his leg?often without the owners knowledge dogs injure themselves by jumping off of furniture or slipping on tiled flooring many different causes or scenarious could have taken place to make this happen.could the owner have moved the dog in a wrong position to make brushing more possible for her even? groomers have been also known to do this as well unknowingly injuring the pet.in cases such as this when a normally very well manner pet shows any signs of agression or favortism to one area or another I find it best to let the client know upun time of pick up to keep and eye out for such behaviors at home.and suggest a vet visit if noticed by the owners themselves.unusual bahavior such as this could be just a bad day for the pet or for you (dogs do sence this )however I feel its better to be safe than sorry and have these things checked or monitored rather than to over look them and possiby left to be blaimed later on

Comment

I do a Standard Poodle that comes in every three weeks, I've been doing her for the past 5 years. She's an absolute angel dog, but when she came in in November, she was really "off", shaking when I was doing her feet, stubborn about getting into the tub, just really not herself, to the point that I called the owner to find out if something was going on. (She had been dropped off by the dogwalker)
                          When I called, I got the owners daughter, and she told me that her mom had been out of the country for two weeks and wasn't coming home for another week. Once "Mom" got home, everything was fine.

Comment

yesterday for us was crabby dog day. every dog that came through either tried to bite or acted up. the only good one of the bunch was the first dog that came in! and last thursday...oh boy. the two dogs i normally have a problem with are a golden and a shepherd mix...(looks mixed with coyote if you ask me! she is a really weird dog). well the owner comes in all happy that the golden lost 30 lbs...she says its over a course of 8 months...but she dropped the weight really fast...in like 8 weeks! the golden also wasnt acting like her usual self...i did her first...and she normally acts up on the drying table. well she jumped off and i tied her to the door and she got a little PO'd at me because i finally outsmarted her for once. then i put her back on the table and turned the table against the wall and tied her head so she couldnt move off the table. well then she tried once more and couldnt get off the table then she just GAVE UP! which is highly unusual for her to do. i was like hm...okay...odd. well the other dog (shep mix) was also acting unusual. she actually jumped into the tub from the floor...wow i am glad i didnt have my head down there! but she was fine...then she got really wierd when i started drying her....and she kept making a moaning sound when i would touch her legs....and she would look right at me and do it. and she was licking her lips and snapping the air with her teeth. very odd so of course i got freaked out. my boss finished her fine with no problem but ive only done the dogs twice before this so i dont know them that well. and i told my boss maybe she senses that the other one isnt feeling well because when she saw her friend she was fine after that.
                            go figure!
                            Hound

Comment

Sometimes I think

we could use more dog psychology classes. That odd behavior would concern me too houndlover.

So I groom this Bichon yesterday that I've done 3 times before. A bit antsy but fine, a bit matted but not bad. I go to sort of squeeze the water off it's legs out of the sink and the darn dog snapped towards me. I wondered if I just lost my doggy touch. Well the rest of the groom went okay. After the dog was done, I mentioned him not wanting to get his front leg touched, and the owner says then: Oh he injured his foot last week. It's healing.

Okay reminds me to ask, like Stephen would say, is there any medical condition change going on with the dog? I don't think to since the owner is around about, but gee after the groom being told was only helpful to my psych.

Comment

Working...
                              X