Mat Kings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mat Kings

I usually only use my mat kings on double coated breeds but today I tried them on the skirts of two cockers, I couldn't believe all the hair I got out! Its too bad I did it after the bath/blow dry!

What do you guys use them for? I very rarely use the 16 or 20 blade ones, does anyone have some good uses for them?

They're great for cocker's and their thick areas, I also use them to bulk thin shelties in the collar area when owners say, "Get some of that hair out," and it looks so natural.

I also use them on the back of my English Cocker that has never had clippers touch his body (only his feet and parts of his legs). I Mat King (Coat King) the whole body along with some carding.

I basically see the Mat King as thinning shears on a handle.

Tammy in Utah
    Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

I have use it on a Cocker such as you described. I only use the Coat King and only on a clean coat or one that is wet in the tub with conditioner. I have used on Yorks that have a long flowing coat that tangels easily. Dry and wet on the Yorks. For the fine coat i use a high #. For the Keeshes a 4 or 8.
      Stress is nothing more than a socially acceptable form of mental illness.- Richard Carlson

Comment

Edited.
        Last edited by pamperedpups; 02-20-07, 01:22 AM.

Comment

I use them on every dog, always on ears and tails to detangle and thin, on bodies before clipping with a comb, on any feathers or skirts being left on, to strip out undercoat on double coats whilst blowing with the dryer (makes it very quick and easy), and to help handstrip. I prefer to use Mars coat kings, I think they do a better job and normally use an 18, but use the very fine one to handstrip. Most dogs are already washed and dried, the undercoat strips are blown out with the hv first then finished with the coat king so that a comb will slide through easily, the handstrips are done dirty and chalk is added to the coats to get the coat king to grab the coat to be pulled out because if the coat is washed first nothing much will strip out. I LOVE this tool.

Linda

Comment

I will have to look into this. I don't have one currently but I have seen them. Sounds like it might help save some time on all the double coated grooms.

Comment

I said too bad about doing it after the bath because they should dry a little faster with less undercoat.

Comment

Edited.
                Last edited by pamperedpups; 02-25-07, 05:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pamperedpups View Post
                  I only use my tools on a clean coat... why'd you say too bad about using your's after a bath?
                  Nicole I, like you, don't use my tools on dirty dogs---yuck. Though I might shave out the occasional mat first, I really don't like using my tools on dirty dogs. BUT---I do have an English Cocker that I mentioned above that I coat king the whole body (not furnishings) before the bath. I've found that I can get more coat before the bath. After the dog has been bathed, the Mat King tends to slide a little more over the coat. This is probably the ONLY circumstance in which I have used the mat king on a dirty coat and had it really benefit me.

Considering the dog never has clippers used on its back, I have to be sure to get a lot of coat out, or it wont look like I did anything on the back when I send it home. Using the mat king before (and after) the bath has helped. Other than that, no tools on dirty coats, yuck.

Tammy in Utah
                  Last edited by SpikeyTheYorkie; 01-31-07, 07:56 PM.

Comment

I definitely like the Coat King with #8 blades. It seems to work best on Poms and Chows. I've tried other blade counts, but the #8 definitely works best (before OR after the bath).

Comment

Originally posted by pamperedpups View Post
                      Maggy- I recommend using your HV dryer before, during and after baths for quicker drying time. Quicker and less work...
                      I use the HV to dry them as much as I can but we only have a wimpy little metro dryer (not a master blaster) so with some dogs (cockers and double coated breeds mostly) it would take forever to dry them through completly. I let them kennel dry most of the way and finish by fluffing them to get them dry.

Comment

Hi Spikey, did you hear about Traveler, my 11yr, Mini Schn...I think he may die of one of 3 illnesses.Can't stand on any legs,am 3 now collapses. On meds AMOX mi.250Know if is valley fever tomorrow. Expensive to cure..but I have a lil saved for M<ar. house tax

Comment

OOPS I wrote off topic...I&quot;m sorry

I saw Spikie
                          was on line...I have a one-track mind right now. Soooomany threads to read......wow. Dinnwertime.bye

Comment

Originally posted by mustluvdogs1 View Post
                            Hi Spikey, did you hear about Traveler, my 11yr, Mini Schn...I think he may die of one of 3 illnesses.Can't stand on any legs,am 3 now collapses. On meds AMOX mi.250Know if is valley fever tomorrow. Expensive to cure..but I have a lil saved for M<ar. house tax

Hi there,

Yes, I read about Traveler and responded to your post. I'm sorry to hear that. If he can't walk, that is very hard on a dog. I hope he can be cured, if not, I know you will do whatever is best for your dog.

Tammy in Utah

Comment

I have never used a mat king before, but I have seen them. If I wanted to buy one do I have to buy all the sizes or is their one that works on all coats. Also when and where would you use a mat king, I would hate to screw up the coat of a client's pet because I wasn't familiar with a product.

Comment

Working...
                              X