Ok.. This is my boyfriends dog...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ok.. This is my boyfriends dog...

Here's the best pics of him I could find.
    Attached Files
    Becky

Nice looking dog, not one I would want to meet in an alley though. I still think $55 is quite reasonable if not on the low side....that is, if he weighs less than 65 lbs. Any more than that and the price goes up for me. How much does he weigh, by the way? Look, when people quote a dog described as a lab akita mix, they are going to quote high if they have any experience at all and reasonably good sense. It is easier to quote high, and go lower if the dog is less than expected....though I find it rarely necessary or called for even. If you quote low....you know what happens when you try to go up...people argue that you "guaranteed" a certain price and don't seem to ever remember if you say "starts at" or "could be more". This quote was very fair for what you described to them and fair for the dog that I see in this picture. Maybe if the dog jumped onto the table, into the bath, sudsed itself up, washed itself off and dried itself I would cut the price to the $35 you seem to think is more fair. You might try to get over whatever insult you think they paid you by asking a fair price and start valuing yourself and your work more highly. Otherwise, you will be destined to an income below or near the national poverty line and you would make better money flipping burgers at Burger King (no offense to anyone who works at burger king, i love that place). Then, if you actually value your work and charge appropriately, maybe you wouldn't jump all over some poor groomer trying to make a living who has no clue what you are going to bring in. How many times have you been told a dog has a certain type of coat, or is not matted, or weighs only 25 lbs only to get a dog that is 10 times worse? I have personally groomed an akita that was well over 180 lbs tho i will never do it again. And most labs I groom are over 80-100. There is nothing wrong with charging what you feel you are worth. I am sorry you don't feel that they job is worth what they quoted, but this is a free country. They are probably just as happy to not do your dog as you are for them not to. I doubt they meant the quote to be a personal insult, which seems to be how you are taking it for some reason that I can't quite understand...but if i were to hazard a guess I would say it is probably because where you work, prices are much lower and you are having a hard time coming to grips with the fact that some groomers actually make a decent, maybe even a nice wage. But even if they did mean it is an insult, why you care so much about it is really puzzling to me at this point.

Comment

Oh, one more thing...that dog looks almost exactly like one of my dogs who is said (guessed) to be a chow/border collie mix...she weighs about 65 but is a bit overweight. No black on that tongue anywhere? My dog has a tiny speck of black on her tongue or I would have totally dismissed the chow guess....but one guess is as good as another. Don't know if i see the akita, but the melting pot is probably large so who knows.

Comment

Even for Park City (where prices would be expected to be higher), $55 for a bath on that dog, even if it had never had a bath, would be considered "high," unless mobile. BUT, if the dog was a freak show, full of hair, and showed teeth/bites, it would certainly head that direction.

But with the info Raggs gave, that she hadn't told them the dog hadn't ever been groomed, that is quite high for this area (and that's not a bad thing!) A good sized lab takes me 40 min. to bath/hand dry, I'd be making a good chunk of change with that price. BUT, to have a shop in Park City, you've got some high rent, no doubt.

There is a good point to both arguments about this dog.

Tammy in Utah
        Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

I think $55 is about right. I am mobile and own my business and I would have told you $70
          If your dog is fat, you are not getting enough exercise!

Comment

Definitely more lab than akita. Looks pretty clean in the pics. Are they recent pictures? Doesn't appear to have much undercoat. How about just hose him down and call it a day. Just kidding!

Comment

He weighs over 90 pounds.

Tammy the shop I went into is in Midvale, the one I called is in Cottonwood Heights.

He doesn't have any undercoat. His hair is only about an inch to 2 inches long. He has a really shiny coat, but in person you can see he's dirty and he smells.

I know all about the quote thing, where if you tell someone it could be around one price but not certain and then they complain if you go up. I know it's all flexible. At a shop I used to work at a lady called and said she had a Shelti mix and wanted to know how much it was to be groomed. My boss asked her how big the dog was, she said the size of a Sheltie, so my boss told her the price. Well she brought the dog in and it was the size of a Malamute. It was huge. My boss told the lady that the dog was going to be much more to groom and explained to her the size of a Sheltie.

They are recent pics of him, they were taken within the past couple months. He hasn't changed any.

The main reason I don't want to bring him to the first place is because of the conditions. They place could use some pine sol and bleach bad. One of the tubs was actually hanging off the wall and tilting, only a matter of time before the whole thing comes crashing down. Of course they might have raised their prices so they can fix the place up, that's what I would do. The groomers were really nice, one couldn't hardly understand what I was saying and I couldn't understand what she was saying either. I don't speak spanish and she hardly spoke english. Normally I wouldn't care about that, but what if one day I brought a dog in and she was the only one there at the time. It's pretty hard to communicate. She was really nice though. (not complaining about that, I'm not racist, so I hope I didn't offend anyone with what I just said.) The other groomer wouldn't give me chance to talk really. I was trying to tell her about Rambo and she kept cutting me off, so I'd continue and she'd cut me off again. I had to start the same sentence 5 times. It took me 10 minutes to tell her that he had never been bathed before. So that made me not want to use them also. She started talking to me in a way that made me feel like I was stupid. She explained what brushing was to me. I told her I was a groomer and that I know all this, and she kept talking to me like I was stupid. She then explained to me what a bath was.

So there are a number of reasons why I wont go there.
              Becky

Comment

$55. is so much for what looks like a mostly lab dog to me! Maybe mobile price but shop I can't see over $35. for a dog like that. Generally, I also tell people the prices of each breed separately. I once gave high quotes on a Collie, booked an appointment and on the scheduled day in walks a little tiny Border Collie! LOL I asked them if they were truly prepared to pay Collie prices to have this little thing bathed!!??

Comment

So...

Edited.
                  Last edited by pamperedpups; 02-20-07, 01:22 AM.

Comment

I think that everyone is forgetting that different places in the country are going to be able to quote different prices! I can tell you all right now that at my shop 55 would be a high quote for that dog. And we have a nice clean shop, so I can understand why Raggs wouldn't want to pay that much at a yucky shop! Everyone is saying that the quote seems high, but just think about it. This country is not the same income level everywhere! And the prices at different places are not going to be the same, be it restaurants, gas stations, or grooming shops. So to say that the quote is right or not at your shop is kinda pointless if you are not in the same place as her...
                    Last edited by rapuzzled; 01-30-07, 10:57 AM.
                    Scratch a dog and you'll find a permanent job. ~Franklin P. Jones

Comment

A simple solution.....

Find a new boyfriend with a dachshund. You could wipe a damp paper towel over it and call it a day.

Comment

Originally posted by pugnacious View Post
                        $55. is so much for what looks like a mostly lab dog to me! Maybe mobile price but shop I can't see over $35. for a dog like that. Generally, I also tell people the prices of each breed separately. I once gave high quotes on a Collie, booked an appointment and on the scheduled day in walks a little tiny Border Collie! LOL I asked them if they were truly prepared to pay Collie prices to have this little thing bathed!!??
                        i know we cant accually say what we chage per say on here as comparison to this what you would have quoted this pareticular dog for is what i start my pricing at for a beagle

Comment

Originally posted by doggiestlist View Post
                          i know we cant accually say what we chage per say on here as comparison to this what you would have quoted this pareticular dog for is what i start my pricing at for a beagle
                          That is precisely my point for different prices in different regions...My beagle price would be considerably lower.
                          Scratch a dog and you'll find a permanent job. ~Franklin P. Jones

Comment

He's so cute....and he looks clean. I'm guessing you settled for a place. Honeslty for just a bath I would do it myself for $55. I know that sounds wrong but I would, no matter what hell he might cause. Then I'd take my $55 and go get my hair and nails done.

Comment

You said it. $55 is extremely high for my area. That's what a Chow would be. When I was in New York Rambo would have been $55, but not here.
                              Becky

Comment

Working...
                              X