Soft Paws for cats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soft Paws for cats

I just received some Soft Paws for my cat, question, how in the heck does a person apply these without the cat going nuts, I did manage to apply one with my sons help, anybody out there with some experiece and hints.

Snappy2

well sinse you got one started you may as well finish the job lol. get a nice big towel lay it flat down and place the cat legs stretch out onto it.wrap him snuggly as you would a baby in a receiving blanket leaving his front legs one at a time exposed.if he attempts biting get another somewhat smaller towel and fold it lengthwise wrap this snugly (not chokingly)around the cats neck(this is to keep his head restricted)firmly pull the first foot towards you keep your hands out of reach of mouth at all times.gently sqeeze the cats paw to expose the nail to be be covered apply tip as directed .imobilizing him should do the trick without injury to you or him

Comment

Soft Paws are awesome!

This is a great product and not very difficult to use. It's a good idea to practice on non-client cats at first to get used to it. Often our own pets are our guinea pigs! But once you feel comfortable applying these caps, it will be a great add-on service for your clients. First, have the caps out of the package so you don't have to fumble with holding a cat while trying to get the product out of the package. Have the glue opened and ready to use. In my experience, the more people involved in restraining a cat, the more the cat will struggle to get free. I prefer to hold the cat in my lap instead of on a table or counter top. I feel I have better control this way.

You need to clip the nails a little bit, but not as short as you would if you weren't applying the caps. If the cat is fractious or super wiggly, you can wrap it in a towel. I like to lay the towel lengthwise over the body so I can lift the cat and pull the rest of the towel up over its hind legs and tummy. This leaves an easy opening on each side of the cat to pull out one paw at a time. I trim the claws on one paw, then apply the soft paws to those nails. Then I move to the next paw and repeat. If possible, hold the cat for several minutes before letting it go so the glue has time to "set".

Some cats will try to remove the caps, but many will just lick their paws to get rid of that crazy groomer's scent. LOL! Keep in mind you're working with basically super glue. I always end up glueing my fingers together at some point, but I also can't use a permanent marker without getting it all over me either. Graceful is not an adjective used for me. HA Be careful not to over-fil the cap with glue. You don't want the cat fur to get glued together or to your fingers. (speaking from experience) Once you get the hang of it, it'll be really easy to do. I love providing this option for clients that are considering declawing their cat.

Stacey

Comment

As a cat groomer I personally like to clip all the nails first, then sizing the nails with the correct caps, filling the first paw set with glue then holding the cat in my lap and apply one foot at a time. With the glue already in the caps prior to holding the cat, seems to make the job alot easier and less stressful for the cat! Good luck.
        Anita

Comment

Anita, I've never tried filling all the caps with glue for one paw first. I just assumed the glue would start to dry before I could get them all on. I'm gonna try your suggestion next time. BTW, I love your profile name. Clever!

Stacey

Comment

I use them on my own cats, but since I don't do clients cats I don't know how it would be do to them. Mine are pretty much complete opposites...Meowlory will lay in my lap and let me put them on with a single fuss. Klawdeea on the other hand is a nut! I do manage to get her done with out too much of a problem though. I do like Seleste said and make sure everything is ready. I take the caps out of the package and have the glue ready to go. I usually sit on the couch and let the snuggle in my arms and lap. I also only do 4 claws on the front paws, I don't see a need in doing the dew claw or the rear paws. I also haven't tried filling them all with glue first, but it sounds like a good idea to get it done faster. Here a pic of Meowlory with them, but it's when she was just a kitten. Now she's just over a year and big and fat, lol.
            Attached Files

Comment

They are a great product! Just keep in mind like someone mentioned (Seleste, I think) don't cut the nails as short as you normally would.

Also, I put softpaws on my dogs one time because we use them all the time at work. Well, I guess I wasn't quite as careful as I should be and caught some hair in the glue, and when the nails started to grow out it pull the hair kinda like pinching them. So, my advice is just to be extra careful not to catch any hair in the glue when you put the cap on.

Good luck!
              Scratch a dog and you'll find a permanent job. ~Franklin P. Jones

Comment

I love Meowlory and Klawdeea's names!!! And those hot pink caps! She's adorable. Looks like she's deep in a biscuit-making session. I have one client that calls it "playing the piano". Precious.

Stacey

Comment

Correction!

I just looked at that pic again and it looks like Meowlory's enjoying some catnip on a cardboard scratcher. Either way, she's a cutie!

Stacey

Comment

i usually do what anita does,but i havent done it to many cats,good luck,by the way is your cat named snappy???because one of my cats is named snappy
                    trish

Comment

LOVE the hot pink nails! Too cute!

Seleste, I always call it making bread
                      Scratch a dog and you'll find a permanent job. ~Franklin P. Jones

Comment

Thanks I should take a pic of her now. I just put hot pink ones on again but she has to weigh at least 11-12 lbs. Not that teeny kitten anymore. I have also used purple, blue, red and the red/green mix for xmas. I take a pic in a bit

Comment

I'm just wondering if it is uncomfortable for the cats to have their nail retracted all the time??

Comment

Thanks

Thanks all the great tips!! I got the job done using the towel methed and getting the soft paws ready to go, did get glue on my fingers.

My cats name is Loraine

Snappy2

Comment

aga, I don't think it really affects the retracting of the nail, it still pulls back in their paw and you can only see the tips of the caps. My cats don't mind it at all once they are on. They still scratch their posts and I'm sure it's better than being declawed

Comment

Working...
                              X