Anal Glands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anal Glands

I don't do glands, but this lady with the cockers begged me. Both of the dogs were doing the butt scoot in the house. I could not get anything out of either of them. Am I doing something wrong, or could there be another reason for the scooting. She said they get them done once a month.
    If your dog is fat, you are not getting enough exercise!

When dogs scoot on the carpet it expresses the glands. Tell her to smell her carpet.. LOL... If they get done to much they could be irritated or infected.
    Becky

Comment

Could they possibly be wormy? I have heard this can make them itchy.
      SheilaB from SC

Comment

I suppose itching and irritation from worms could cause the scooting, that would be my next guess.

Comment

The "butt scoot" is definitely due to anals.. but every month sounds really frequently to me. What did you tell her when you didn't get anything out? I think I would recommend she see the vet about it (because obviously they're having a problem and since you couldn't get anything out, it could mean they're getting impacted). Anals CAN be done too frequently.. and if they are, that can cause as many problems as not doing them enough.

You asked if you were doing it right.. have you ever expressed anals or seen it done before? I don't think a forum is the right place to try to "tell" you how to do it.. it'd be better for you to be taught by a professional (maybe a vet would show you).

Comment

Edited.
            Last edited by pamperedpups; 02-20-07, 01:18 AM.

Comment

I won't do them.. I suggest to the owner to have vet check them at their next visit for shots. They can be done too often and then the dog has problems.

Comment

Worms do NOT cause dog's to scoot. That is a very old wive's tale. If the dog's had scooted across the carpet, they may have very well emptied the anal sacs on their own. In which case you would have been able to tell by feeling the sacs (externally). If you don't know how to tell from feeling if the sacs need emptied or not, then you shouldn't be doing them. Please ask a vet or tech to show you how to perform the procedure.
                Lisa VanVleet, RVT

Comment

I have never done it. I was shown how. I was being very gentle too. The whole thing to me is gross. The vet is the one that does them once a month.

Comment

So far I am not scootin on my carpet yet.

If you had gotten something out that ws thick as tooth paste...it is too late..see vet. I on't do them as a rule..vt job. Never have I gotten anything out of a lab or larger dog. Why? glad tho' be a stinky mess! I don't want lunch after anals. I wonder how we all avoid fecal matter in us from,,hands,tho soapy wet usually.e coli co0ncerns. I kiss a lot nof dogs wonder if I coulkd nget ooooooh worms. So far, I am not scootingnMy B on carpet!

Comment

Edited.
                      Last edited by pamperedpups; 02-20-07, 01:15 AM.

Comment

Asked too often to do glands.

Clients often ask me to squeeze the anal glands. I tell them I will try, but if nothing comes out, I recommend the vet -- and, most times, nothing does come out. I was taught at vet tech school, so I know I'm doing them properly, but it just doesn't always work. So don't worry if you can't get anything to express. There could be numerous problems that perhaps a vet should see. JMO

Comment

Originally posted by borzoimom View Post
                          Worms do NOT cause dog's to scoot.
                          Oooooh yes they do! Especially tape worms. Not to be gross, but those segments wiggle, and if they're in the anus the wiggling causes itching and irritation. Food intolerance can also make a dog scoot. Izi scooted because he was itchy after his neuter, and his stitches were driving him nuts. Once his stitches were out, he stopped scooting. Even flea bites can cause scooting. Anything that irritates the anal area can cause a dog to scoot.

Comment

Scooting and expressing

My dog scoots. She gets full anals that need monthly expressing. She's had impacted and pretty much everthing in between that can happen to anals.

I express them externally when I bathe her, about every 4 weeks. We learned external expression in school. Sometimes I have no luck expressing and she continues to scoot. This is my cue they're on they're way to becoming impacted. This is when I see the vet and he internally expresses them. Looks like toothpaste at that point sometimes funky colors going on. I don't know why this little girl has problems but has from the get go.

My rule of is to check every dogs anals. Some express easily externally, others are empty and others need vet attention as they are full and do not express externally at all. I don't force a thing. Last thing I want to do is rupture a gland. My vet stands by my rule of and agrees wholeheartedly. Just thought I'd share.

Comment

Originally posted by Wisconsin View Post
                              My dog scoots. She gets full anals that need monthly expressing. She's had impacted and pretty much everthing in between that can happen to anals.

I express them externally when I bathe her, about every 4 weeks. We learned external expression in school. Sometimes I have no luck expressing and she continues to scoot. This is my cue they're on they're way to becoming impacted. This is when I see the vet and he internally expresses them. Looks like toothpaste at that point sometimes funky colors going on. I don't know why this little girl has problems but has from the get go.

My rule of is to check every dogs anals. Some express easily externally, others are empty and others need vet attention as they are full and do not express externally at all. I don't force a thing. Last thing I want to do is rupture a gland. My vet stands by my rule of and agrees wholeheartedly. Just thought I'd share.
                              Have you tried a high fiber diet for them? I reccomend this for every dog that has anal gland problems. It helps bulk up the stook and allows them to empty naturally. Also the raw marrow bones help firm up the stool so that helps too.

Comment

Working...
                              X