Inspired by "Free Nail Trims" thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inspired by "Free Nail Trims" thread

I'm curious. How do your shops handle compensation to the groomer for nail trims? I mean walk-ins that just want their dog's nails done.
    I've worked in shops where the groomer just got the whole thing, other places where we just kept a tally of trims, and the groomer got 50% at the end of the week.
    I'm hoping for some responses, then I'll come back and tell you how it's handled at the shop I currently work at.

nail trims

If the shop is offering the entire amount to the groomer, I can assure they are also not claiming the income at all to begin with. (I would be concerned about dishonest business practicing owners)

I can't see a shop not at least keeping 50% of all that comes in. The shop still has to pay half the employee taxes, unemployment insurance, workman's comp insurance, not to mention general overhead. How could any business remain in business if they simply "give away" their income? I think there are very few employees that realize just what else is being paid out by the employer for the employee beyond the commission amount given to the employee. I had thought about hiring someone to run my van on my days off, but it just is not at all worth it to hire someone only 2 days a week. The added wear on my van would more than eat the few dollars I would come out ahead on the work they could bring in. I decided it was better just to give the van a rest when I take a rest.

Comment

We get the same commission on a nail trim as we do on everything else.

Comment

My help is not paid on comission, so it's no problem. I do hourly instead.

Comment

All the shops I have worked at, it all went right to the groomer. We just kept a tally of whose turn it was.

Comment

When I was paid commission it was the same % as I was getting for full grooms.

Comment

When I used to have several groomer employees, I asked them how they wanted to handle it. They decided to keep track of how much money came from nails and when we had enough, we'd get a carry out lunch for all of us. It was probably about once a month that we got lunch.

Comment

I worked at a shop that just let the groomer have all of it. Where I work now, I get paid the same commission as my grooms and in my paycheck.
                Becky

Comment

Edited.
                  Last edited by pamperedpups; 02-20-07, 01:17 AM.

Comment

same as groom commis. 50%

Comment

mine were independent contractors. if they did a walk-in nail trim only they kept it. but everything on the backbar was mine...

Comment

Our shop is 50% of nails. The more experanced groomers say this is a newer trend. They used to let or were allowed to keep the nail money. C who used to run a bussie bordeing kennel and groom shop let her people keep the nail money. Paid for all equiptment sharping and vet costs. and still pay 60%. I wish I could have worked for her then.

Comment

When I had my shop, my receptionist/sales person did the nail trims. She was a poodle breeder, and had been a bather tho not a groomer, so she knew what she was doing. We also had a DIY with a sign posted asking if they would like a nail trim. She actually made a fair bit of $$, and I let her keep it all as if it were a tip. She wasn't paid a huge salary and really appreciated the extra $$. Aussheplady, I assume by your post that you declare all your tip money?????
                          Old groomers never die, they just go at a slower clip.

Groom on!!!

Comment

Thanks for all the replies

At our shop, the shop keeps the whole thing, the groomer gets nothing, although we are often interrupted to do walk in nail trims while we are working on grooming dogs. One groomer who worked there for a short time refused to do them unless she got paid for them, and the shop owner ridiculed her for being so "petty". I guess she assumes the rest of us are too stupid to realise how they can add up. (I'm looking for another job, BTW).
                            Aussheplady,thanks for the lecture, but I must respectfully disagree with you when you say that there are very few employees who realise that the employer has other expenses, most of us are adults, and realise that there is a cost involved in running a business. And as for my commission amount being "given" to me, I assure you I EARN every penny of it.
                            Oh, and I'm curious also, DO you declare all your tips?
                            Last edited by AuntieM; 01-28-07, 07:34 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Originally posted by pamperedpups View Post
                              The shop I worked at previously gave the groomers the entire price of a nail trim only, but contrary to what Aussheplady said, this shop DID report the income...
                              That is very rare for the employer to claim the income yet give 100% to the groomer. (And not very smart business either as the employer had to fork out additional money from their bottom line in order to do so.) I have worked in places where it was given to the groomer but most were simply because the manager just did not want to bother to keep track of it. One was audited by the IRS and even asked if she offered nail trims only and not thinking about how she handled them, she told them sure. How much do you charge for them? She answered honestly. Well, there was no record of there being any charges for them. She was fined $70K for that and a couple other business mistakes they caught her on. Being dishonest more often than not will come and bite you in the but later.

Comment

Working...
                              X