Help with feet and cats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with feet and cats

I have a question concerning feet on Shih Tzu's that are groomed using a 5F/4F, with the hair, all over the body. How would you finish off the tops of the feet. I have been using the same blade all the way down the leg/foot and the scissoring the hair hanging over nail/foot to round the foot. What do other people do?

That's what I do, or sometimes I'll go the opposite way with a longer blade. But then I still have to scissor.
    Becky

Comment

Unless it is a CLFT, I never clipper the feet, I always scissor, I sometimes use my thinners on top to thin out.

Comment

That's how I do it and also the same as Raggs.
        "There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face."
        Diane

Comment

Sometimes I do it that way and sometimes after I go down the leg I brush the feet up then scissor it to blend with the leg. Just depends on the coat texture.

Lisa

Comment

I usually do the same, but sometimes I go in reverse with the same blade as the body. Not very far up the foot, but just over the toes. The foot stays cleaner longer, unless you thinning shear in between the toes, which I also do sometimes.
            Erin
            No Fur, No Paws, No Service.

Comment

I brush all the hair on the foot up, then go in reverse with one blade size longer than I did the leg. I still have to tidy up the edges, but the foot itself is smooth and tight.

Comment

Originally posted by jovi View Post
                I have a question concerning feet on Shih Tzu's that are groomed using a 5F/4F, with the hair, all over the body. How would you finish off the tops of the feet. I have been using the same blade all the way down the leg/foot and the scissoring the hair hanging over nail/foot to round the foot. What do other people do?
                using a small soft slicker brush.. (#1)fluff the hair on the dogs pads trim flush to the nail tips(this is done after pads are shaven clean)..
                now (#2)holding the foot facing you use the brush and fuff the hair towards the dog use scissors and trim to meet the length of the hair left on top of the legs.holding the sheers streight(be sure the blade is not resting in the foot or angled )
                once you have the right length repete step #1 then again with number #2
                now that you have the two areas close smooth out and round your edges tidy and squared or chop lines( this does take some practice with scissoring) if your scissoring isnt up to par you can use thinning sheers to correct any flaws.(if you dont have thinning sheers go get some lol) this technique is also used for goldens and many other breeds

Comment

Working...
                X