Faster adult coat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Faster adult coat

I was told that if you shave puppies like poo younger it makes their adult coat come in earlier. Is that true in your opinion?

Its been done forever. Bichon and poodle breeders use a 40 blade quite often on the body. Is it true? I dunno. I know it will make coat change easier because the puppy coat is gone, therefore Nothing is there to mat up.
    Last edited by Particentral; 09-23-22, 03:48 AM.
    <a href="http://www.groomwise.typepad.com/grooming_smarter" target="_blank">My Blog</a> The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Comment

I don't know if it comes in faster, but I know of some Poodle breeders who shave the tails on puppies to make the coat thicker and better textured.
      Old groomers never die, they just go at a slower clip.

Groom on!!!

Comment

Agree with Parti. I don't think it's faster, but there is nothing to mat during coat change. I know someone who used to do this to their cockers. They always had less coat than other puppies their age. I don't think it really made a difference in texture.

Comment

I have heard that stuff about faster but I don't think so. The change might be a little easier to spot.

Comment

I believe it changes the coat for sure, not sure about faster.

Comment

I thought the faster coat was a tall tale?

Comment

Faster? Still trying to figure that one out. Maybe the better word is "earlier."

Comment

This is my thought.
                  Puppy coat is first to grow. By the time pup is 8 weeks old or so the puppy coat is…let’s say….3 inches long.
                  Puppy coat continues to grow. It’s getting even longer.
                  Adult coat starts to come in. Adult coat is…say…1/2 inch long, and growing. But the puppy coat is also growing.

If you clipper the coat, now all the hairs are the same length. You can actually see the adult coat! So it appears that it is coming in faster.
                  If you didn’t clipper the coat, you would need to wait for the puppy coat to reach its maximum growth, then shed out. At that time…a year or two later…you would have only adult coat.

Comment

Originally posted by dogma View Post
                    This is my thought.
                    Puppy coat is first to grow. By the time pup is 8 weeks old or so the puppy coat is…let’s say….3 inches long.
                    Adult coat starts to come in. Adult coat is…say…1/2 inch long, and growing. But the puppy coat is also growing.

If you clipper the coat, now all the hairs are the same length. You can actually see the adult coat! So it appears that it is coming in faster.
                    If you didn’t clipper the coat, you would need to wait for the puppy coat to reach its maximum growth, then shed out. At that time…a year or two later…you would have only adult coat.

I think you are right.

Comment

Comment

Thanks for posts.

Comment

Originally posted by dogma View Post
                          This is my thought.

Comment

Working...
                          X