Where do you put your shop if you move biz into your home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where do you put your shop if you move biz into your home

No outbuildings. 3 bedroom house with a utility room, no basement. So where would I put my one room shop and entryway for customers?

Hard to say without knowing the layout of your house. I had a small addition built for my home biz. I've also groomed on a closed in front porch with a laundry tub already in place. Best bet probably your utility room or a garage.
    Old groomers never die, they just go at a slower clip.

Groom on!!!

Comment

I have a separate building. My cousin put her groom room in one bedroom of her home....closet backed up to a bathroom, so that's where she put her tub for easy plumbing. As for access, she gives curbside service.
      Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

Comment

In your circumstance you would have to use a bedroom and cut a doorway to the outside for a separate entrance. I don’t know where you would get your plumbing from. Maybe a bathroom is directly behind the wall you would put a tub against.

Comment

And of course you have already cleared that you are legally allowed to have a grooming business on your property. Parking requirements, water/sewer requirements, and signage restrictions make it hard to have a home business here in this bedroom community in the shadow of an old ore mine. Sometimes you can get a variance but that doesn’t seem like a fun road to travel.

Comment

I’ve had two friends that put theirs in the garage. Both had adorable little shops, with nice front counter, grooming and bathing area.

Comment

It’s not a formal business space, but I use my utility room as my grooming area. It has three doors to the outside and one to the rest of the house. If necessary I never have to let clients into my home.
              (But since mine is mostly friend / and their relatives referrals a great many of them wait in the lounge or living room. There’s one group of friends that come at the same time, bring the coffee and doughnuts or sandwiches, and visit hole I take care of the dogs.).

Comment

Originally posted by HoneyandChewiespal View Post
                It’s not a formal business space, but I use my utility room as my grooming area. It has three doors to the outside and one to the rest of the house. If necessary I never have to let clients into my home.
                (But since mine is mostly friend / and their relatives referrals a great many of them wait in the lounge or living room. There’s one group of friends that come at the same time, bring the coffee and doughnuts or sandwiches, and visit hole I take care of the dogs.).
                I think this is beautiful............maybe I'll bring my doxies and enjoy some donuts

Happy relaxing while you groom

Dolly's Barking Bubbles, LLC

www.dollysbarkingbubbles.com

Comment

Garage is common in your case. Do realize it can be an obstacle when selling your house, at least to some buyers.

Comment

Well plumbing is key and that's why most in a standard house convert the garage where there is often water for washers.

Comment

I agree with the garage but do check if you can convert it. You might be surprised in some areas now they don't allow it.

Comment

Outside of a fenced in porch (weather issues) or garage it's really hard. A bedroom or study doesn't work, all that bathing needs build out and water and more electricity, really expensive.

Comment

In the main house it is almost certain to be the garage and nice it is has a separate, side entrance.

Comment

Working...
                          X