Job requires opening the business

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Job requires opening the business

I have thought of applying for a job closer to home. It's a pretty good daily job for me. But the owner says I have to open the business in the morning as part of the job. Hey, I groom. Not sure I like that responsibility. Am I being shortsighted?

Don't know what kind of business it is, but it sounds like the owner trusts you. There's a lot more to grooming than just grooming. Think of it as a learning opportunity. It can't be any more of a responsibility than caring for someone's cherished pet.
    Old groomers never die, they just go at a slower clip.

Groom on!!!

Comment

I had my groomers open my shop and close. I came in at 9 for my appointments but the shop was open at 7. I left early many days too. You are not just a groomer, you are an employee with several responsibilities like picking up the phone, cleaning, checking in and out. Opening is not a big deal if you are paid fairly. I can understand if you open and are swamped with check ins and phone ringing and you have no help.

Comment

If the owner is there shortly after you that would be OK. But is the owner opening with you. If you don't know for sure it may just mean you are first employee there at same. I do that. I open but I have a bather there at same time. Really helps in a busy salon. Stylists come in an hour later some 2 hours later. So may not mean you are alone.

Comment

Right it could just mean you are first employee and not alone at or very shortly.

Comment

What’s the worst that could happen? You hate it and you move on.

What’s the best that could happen? You improve your skills. You learn new responsibilities which earn you other responsibilities which allow you to gain knowledge to advance your skills even more…and you live happily-ever-after!

I vote Yes! Give it a try! Your ready for this!!!!

Comment

If the owner doesn't open usually that means some cash is left in the till. Some people are not comfy handling the cash or machines. Some people pay in advance.

Comment

There is the pressure of opening on time if you are the one truly expected first there. Does that bother you? It's OK but then I wouldn't suggest the position.

Comment

I worked a job where I opened the first hour and I was paid by the hour separately for that.

Comment

Turns out it is only 1 day a week to open first hour but a bather might come in with me same time. Not so concerned now. There is extra pay for the time before I start grooming.

Comment

So Newbie! When do you start your new job!?!

Comment

Plus you can add that to your resume. That shows responsibility and trust

Comment

As a shop owner, and maybe you’ll find you like it, it’s my most peaceful proudest moment of the day. I’m rested,usually speaking, after a hard days work the prior 24 hours and can feel that sense of success and accomplishment. The end of day after hard working I’m too tired to feel that sense of easy equitable pride in my life. I relish it the next morning. I reclean the place and make it welcoming and inviting to my morning customers.

Comment

Not bad and I agree shows responsibility. That's not always a key feature of groomers.

Comment

Working...
                            X