Shop owner gets pissed when I recommend products she does not sell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shop owner gets pissed when I recommend products she does not sell

I work part time for a private grooming shop / boutique pet food / supplies store as a groomer. When clients ask me what I recommend for their dogs grooming needs, I tell them to buy what I know works. I advised a lady to buy a rolled leather collar for her matted pup today, which we didn't carry, so lady went to buy it online.
    Shop owner was angry that I didn't sell client a sub par collar that she sells instead. This didn't even occur to me at the time. I said I only recommend products that I know will work, and will try to direct people to what's on the shelf, if we have something similar.
    I explained my reasoning for why I recommended a rolled leather collar to prevent matting, she was still pissed. How do you guys handle shop owners who know nothing about grooming telling you, an independent contractor what to do with your clients?
    She didn't consult me before stocking her store with retail items. If she had, I would have directed her to purchase some products I know will sell, because I use them! How is it my problem that she didn't do any research before ordering products for her retail store?
    I said I will try do recommend products we carry in the future and left it at that. I don't even pay attention to what she sells, because I'm not a retail employee, I am an independent contractor who is there to groom dogs and help dog owners take better care of their furry family members.
    Sorry for wall of text, I just wanted some feedback. Am I totally wrong here? I don't feel that I am 🤔

This shop owner needs to listen to you and your recommendations. You are right. Selling something to a client that's wrong makes you and the biz look bad. Remember the movie 'Miracle on 34th Street'? If Macy's didn't carry the toy, the Santa sent them to the competition. This created lots of goodwill and trust for Macy's.
    Old groomers never die, they just go at a slower clip.

Groom on!!!

Comment

Karla said it!
      I use the Macy’s analogy a lot where I am. My clients trust me to tell the the truth about things be it how to brush teeth, vaccines, shampoos, diet, exercise, CBD,, etc. I don’t give medical advice and I’m adamant about making that statement, but I will suggest they seek a second opinion from another vet before drastic choices.
      (I absolutely detest Hills and Science Diet foods, especially after I learned about the kickback so many vets get for pushing that stuff. Though mostly because the sickest dogs I’ve ever seen were on that stuff. Once changed they improved and thrived)

Our clients turn to us for the truth. If we lose credibility we lose the client. Stick to your guns and stay honest.

Comment

Good Honey. The only time I used those brands was when a vet said my dog needed a predigested food.

Yes it is frustrating. Many owners do the same expectation to sell what they have. She should be listening to you.

Comment

Sometimes you can defer to what is there, and throw in something else you like better. Maybe.

Comment

Miracle on 34th Street (?) Santa was referring Maceys customers elsewhere when they didn't have it/carry it, whatever. They almost fired him, but customers loved it. So they let him continue. It doesn't hurt a business to refer people to what WORKS and what they NEED. It builds confidence in the business that they care more about the customers needs than their bottom line.
            <a href="http://www.groomwise.typepad.com/grooming_smarter" target="_blank">My Blog</a> The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Particentral View Post
              Miracle on 34th Street (?) Santa was referring Maceys customers elsewhere when they didn't have it/carry it, whatever. They almost fired him, but customers loved it. So they let him continue. It doesn't hurt a business to refer people to what WORKS and what they NEED. It builds confidence in the business that they care more about the customers needs than their bottom line.
              Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

Comment

Originally posted by Particentral View Post
                Yes

Comment

Comment

If she keeps on giving you a hard time and you know what you are doing right, stand up for yourself. She should be reaching out to you.

Comment

Working...
                    X