Daily doodle limit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daily doodle limit

Some of the groomers where I work want the store to limit the numbers of daily doodles they have to do. Most don't want to do more than 1 maybe 2 in one day. We sometimes have several in a day about twice a month. They say grooming is grooming so it shouldn't really matter. When they book they just book and don't spread out so on a shift you could get 3 doodles on those days.

Any comments?

I won’t do more than 2 of them a week. They’re usually matted, as well as being dumb. And the owners are generally a piece of work as well. 🤫

Comment

I also agree on a limit. They are hard work. Even when they are being good they are just a lot of dog to deal with. And we have well cared for, on a schedule doodles.

In fact, we were just talking about this at work yesterday. Limit the amount of doodles and St. Poos that we take in as clients period.
      I’m giving it serious thought.

Comment

One large dog (over 40 pounds) per day per person. I'm too old for it.
        <a href="http://www.groomwise.typepad.com/grooming_smarter" target="_blank">My Blog</a> The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Comment

I see the truth in that Honey!! Unless they are like every 4 weeks, and actually I have convinced some for even a bath between grooms every 4, I don't overdo my employees. They probably do 1 to 2 a week at most.

Comment

2 max generally for me. I got doodles coming out my ears. Soooo many new ones recently. The craze is getting bigger here.

Comment

Every 4 weeks and yet I still won’t do two same day. All well behaved and mostly cooperative, great owners.
              That poodle component means most of that shed doesn’t want to blow out, while the other half usually means lots of shed. Thirty years ago I may have been able to do more, but certainly not today.

Comment

I changed my business model to under 25 pound dogs in mobile. I basically eliminated doodles, st poos Huskies sheps etc

Comment

Originally posted by IrishSetterTom View Post
                  I changed my business model to under 25 pound dogs in mobile. I basically eliminated doodles, st poos Huskies sheps etc
                  My shop is gearing that way. No new clients at all (except really great references and something I want to take, like yorkies). Nothing over 30 except for existing clients. Most are dogs like English cocker spaniels and a few golden retrievers. I am the only groomer. I can't do it. I just can't.
                  <a href="http://www.groomwise.typepad.com/grooming_smarter" target="_blank">My Blog</a> The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Comment

I don't do more than one big dog a week! LOL and that's only because they are grandfathered in. Grooming is not grooming. It's much easier to move around a 15 pound dog than a 70 pound dog. I can do two of those 15 pound dogs in the same amount of time. I don't feel nearly as tired.

Put it this way. If you walk to the store and have 15 pounds of groceries to carry home twice, vs 70 pounds of groceries to carry home. Which is going to make you less tired?

Comment

We do about 5 a week and try to divide them up between 3 groomers. Seems to work.

Comment

I’ve stopped taking the giant breeds, St Bernards and such.
                        The 80 pound dogs aren’t far behind that. Working my way to the smaller breeds. I want to work into my 70’s and can’t do that by wrestling large dogs.
                        And I don’t want a bunch of employees again, one is fine. So something will have to give, and that’s the big dogs.

Comment

Another advantage is my blades and shear edges stay sharper much longer not doing large breeds.

The problem with doodles is the owners dont want to pay what the groom should be priced at.

If I can do 2.5 to 3 shih tzu s in the time of a large doodle, it would have to price at 195 to be the same earnings for me. Not many are going to pay 200 for a doodle groom.

Comment

My Shih Tzu price and Doodle price are the same pre hour.
                            It’s not my problem if a doodle wants a $200 hair cut but doesn’t want to pay that price. I’m sure they will find someone that will dematt and handscissor their dog for less then me.
                            If they want a handscissored trim, it WILL be in the $200-$300 range. I know what it costs pre hour to run my business and I’m not doing their dog at a loss just because they don’t want to pay that. I’d rather do the smaller dogs and make the same income.

I’d love to have an $80,000 car that self parks itself and has a foot controlled hatchback. I can’t afford that on my income so I have a Honda Fit. (Gas mileage is at the top of my must-have list, along with snow clearance).

So we all pick and choose what we can tolerate. Believe me, I have plenty of doodle clientele, too many in fact. Most have decided that a $150 kennel trim is a fine look...a few gladly fork over the $200-$300 for a longer trim.

Comment

Originally posted by HoneyandChewiespal View Post
                              I won’t do more than 2 of them a week. They’re usually matted, as well as being dumb. And the owners are generally a piece of work as well. 🤫
                              i like that! seems like owners around here have no idea what they got themselves into, referring to the cost of maintenance. they are most popular breed in these parts

Comment

Working...
                              X