Sad that many older pet owners won't be able to get new dogs in future

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sad that many older pet owners won't be able to get new dogs in future

As prices for just about any dog start at $90 and up in California my heart aches for the older folk. Seniors in Calif really can suffer with high prices for everything. Having a pet is an important companion. My friend lives in an older trailer park far from the city and suburbs and still cannot find a groomer for her little shihpoo for less than $80, and that's not mobile pricing. She said tenants with dogs just keep going down in numbers and really miss the companionship.

I know how you feel I have seen that happening to my business.

Comment

get a short haired dog :-)

Comment

The class of people who scream the loudest endlessly about the haves and have nots, continue to vote in the politicians that have them in this stranglehold out there. Bizarre. Just downright twisted logic. Laws laws laws. Money money money. Screw the average joe. Government knows best. Ugh.

Comment

Originally posted by cockerlvr View Post

Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

Comment

I hear you and you know what chaps my butt. Nothing we can do about it.

Comment

Originally posted by cockerlvr View Post
              A short haired dog like a Beagle can easily cost $75 to $90 in parts of CA, not even in the cities. I know this for a fact as I have done 3 business plans for expanding businesses there in the last year. I have their price sheets. It's eye opening.

So yes they could bathe the pets hopefully and just get nails done, and that won't be cheap or moderate either.

Comment

Maybe they can be foster pet parents, or occasionally board other people's pets. In nyc, fostering is a way to have a pet but not be 100% responsible for it. Also, some seniors will board a pet- they make the best doggie aunties. I used to board my dog with a retired social worker. I think the boarding helped cover the feedms for care of her own dog.

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen View Post

A short haired dog like a Beagle can easily cost $75 to $90 in parts of CA, not even in the cities. I know this for a fact as I have done 3 business plans for expanding businesses there in the last year. I have their price sheets. It's eye opening.

So yes they could bathe the pets hopefully and just get nails done, and that won't be cheap or moderate either.
                  I was thinking something super short haired like doxie or min pin. Beagles need too much grooming lol

Comment

Actually one of the plan customers has minimum $90 anything. Chihuahua. But I see the biggest problem are rents. $4 to $6 sq ft monthly for most pretty basic buildings.
                    Most questions regarding GroomerTALK are answered in the Board Help Talk Forum. Thanks for coming to our community a part of PetGroomer.com https://www.petgroomer.com.

Comment

The Old Dog Rescue in Arlington WA will have people take on the “unfosterable”’dogs. The group pays for food and vet bills. That’s an option for many older folks.

I have a client that has a friend. These ladies are older, but still spry enough to own a dog. Also, money isn’t a problem. And yet, the rescue groups won’t adopt a dog to these older people. “Your too old to have a dog” they are told.

They realize they don’t want a young dog. These older people want an old slow dog.
                      So I asked the lady that I got my old Manchester Terrier from if she had any other old Manchesters looking for a home. She did.
                      So this older woman got a 12 year old Manchester. He was a former show dog. International Champion. He lived out his last 5 years being a pampered pet.
                      She would bring him to me for bath and toenails. Sweetest guy. I miss Darren!

I would suggest that these older people check with the show breeders. There might just be a match out there for them.

Comment

Just like now, we see OAY grooms and it's a 10 strip. If someone can swing the groom price 3 or 4 times year to keep it short, it can be affordable.

Vet bills are the killer. They can always find a cheaper groom somewhere.

But agree, picking the right breed or coat makes a big difference. I had a weim years ago and I never had him groomed.

Comment

Vet bills are the killers, imo.
                          Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

Comment

It is shocking how much the cost of even just routine dentals on dogs can cost. Our best prices with no extractions is now $600 to $700, but I know people in some areas paying $1K or a little more.

Comment

Working...
                            X