Working alone but customer brings in 4 dogs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Working alone but customer brings in 4 dogs

So what do you do when you work all alone and a customer has 4 dogs. Just one drop off and hold them all until all or done? That could be 5 hours or more with they full grooms and large. Or what else do you do?

Explain to the client that you aren't comfortable doing all 4 in one day. Do 2 one day, and 2 the next. That way, they don't have such a long stay-although 5 hours isn't too bad.
    Old groomers never die, they just go at a slower clip.

Groom on!!!

Comment

One drop off, one pick up
      Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyn View Post
        One drop off, one pick up
        Sorry should have said one load of 4 in and one load of 4 out

Comment

Give them options and then they can decide what they feel comfortable with.

1. Leave them all and pick them up when they are done. (Longer day, but assure them they would have potty breaks and given fresh water)

2. Drop off 1 at a time and switch them out for another at pick up. (Each one may not be there long but this way would mean multiple trips back and forth so if they don't live close it by may not be a viable option)

3. Schedule them on different days and maybe do 2 at a time instead. (Not there as long, don't have to make multiple trips in one day, and not so much money out of pocket for grooming in one week if you break it up right)

It's not what you look at that matters; it's what you see.
          Henry David Thoreau

Comment

I work alone and have a client with 5 dogs(same breed). Split them in two days. I just don’t want to groom the same breed for hours and all day. LOL

Comment

Thanks for ideas. She lives 30 minute drive away as of next when they move so I doubt she will make 2 trips. But I will discuss.

Comment

Totally agree with the splitting up. Spin it to the client that it’s all about the dogs’ safety, comfort, and stress levels. Much easier on them if they aren’t there so long.

Comment

5 hours isn't long. Some come on before owners go to work and stay till owners get off work.

Comment

I'm a little confused over this post.......most salons have tons of dogs coming thru their door...more than 4.........and they handle them, one at a time, put one in the cage, grab the next. Many salons have a drop off time (8-9:00) and a pick up time (4-5:00) and these dogs survive nicely with water and a potty break in a cage waiting for their owner. To even suggest that this lady drive 30 minutes on two different days, is not very customer friendly. As a business owner, you sometimes have to stretch your comfort level to accommodate your customer.

Happy not loosing a 4 dog customer

Dolly's Barking Bubbles, LLC

www.dollysbarkingbubbles.com

Comment

I work on my own and I have a client with 5 bichons in a modified breed trim. She brings them all at 10am then I text her when they are ready, about 6 hours later. They are my only dogs for the day and I make sure they have water and potty breaks.

The dogs love their day trip to the salon and the owner loves that I'm happy to have them all on one day as its easier for them.

I groom them one at a time, so I'll do the full groom one dog at a time, I don't bath them all then cut them as it breaks up what I'm doing better and so I know where I'm up to.

Comment

If you're new to grooming or for whatever reason you don't want to do 4 dogs in same sitting, make that your policy. But to be honest, I'm also confused why you think 5 hours in a shop for 4 dogs is unreasonable. My clients love to leave for at least 3 to 4 hours running their errands IF I permit it. 4 dogs requiring more time that you are comfortable with is not unreasonable.

Comment

Kurt, I know where I am, it's really really frowned upon that you don't have a dog in the salon for more than 3 hours "because insurance" or " company policy" or " legislation" or "its cruel" but I've never had any issues, except from company policy, but that was when I worked in a salon with 3 groomers so the 5 dogs were groomed in 3 hours.

I know some local groomers will take in their days worth of dogs between 8 and 10 and then groomed on a first come first groomed basis meaning some are in the salon until closing.

​​​​​

Comment

Y'know Wigginz, my first post was based on my business model. I am not set up for multiple dogs, and although I will take two well-behaved small 'siblings' at once, my customers with two large dogs are gonna be making several trips. But I don't have anyone traveling 30 minutes to my shop. I can see the reasonableness of the others here saying take in all, groom, send home, if you have the setup to do it.

Comment

Yesterday I had a 2 dogs dropped off an hour earlier than their actual appt time so came in at 9am and owner picked them up at 4pm. This was because she likes to drop off and pick up when taking son to school and picking up son for school. Today I have 3 that come in at 9am and stay until 430pm because dad HAS to play golf.
                              So I see no issue with dogs staying as long as I or owner needs them to.

Comment

Working...
                              X