Was it hard for you to learn to groom sitting down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was it hard for you to learn to groom sitting down

I screwed up a knee slipping on ice. Nothing bad it will heal but doc says keep weight off it as much as possible. So I bought a stool. Wow am I having a hard time grooming for some reason. I think I tend to keep my table lower and look downward on a dog while grooming. Any stool users have any hints?

Good luck. Can’t really help since it was something I could never master. Know that there are some who can manage though and I’ll be looking forward to hearing their technique suggestions as well.

Comment

Hope you heal soon! I was taught to sit down so it is something I learned from day one. My table is against a wall also so the dogs can't go off the backside. I think it is hard to change something you have been accustomed to doing. You learn to be efficient doing tasks a certain way and changing makes you have to relearn all over. My chair is a comfortable table height so I am looking at an angle from top down but can easily look under the belly with a tilt of my head. When grooming big dogs, I do stand up however. I do pads, then sani, then either legs or body depending on dogs behavior. I try to turn them around as little as possible to avoid stress for the dog. Hope this helps a little.

Comment

Perhaps watching YouTube videos by "Shu and Tree" will give inspiration. She grooms sitting down.

Comment

I groom both sitting and standing, just adjust table and stool until dog is where you want it to be for how you groom.
          Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

Comment

I don't remember when I made the switch, but I don't remember it being difficult. There are a couple of things I still stand for, st poo topknots being one.

Comment

I have a hard time grooming sitting down. OP try a higher stool maybe.

Comment

Originally posted by Newbie88 View Post
                I have a hard time grooming sitting down. OP try a higher stool maybe.
                Yes you mentioned that you like to be more overhead while grooming. A taller stool and adjusting table lower should do that.

Comment

It's not my preference but I could adapt.

Comment

All the aforementioned and wheels! I don't really sit for grooming anymore but I used to and being able to move the stool around to adjust was vital.
                    It's not what you look at that matters; it's what you see.
                    Henry David Thoreau

Comment

I sit for most grooming and drying. Never thought it was an adjustment from standing. I tuck my knees under the table and have the table top basically in my lap. I can do most small dog grooms 100% sitting. I do stand for larger dogs. I try to sit as much as possible cause standing and having a slight bend forward in my back I get lower and mid back pain after so much time standing.

Comment

Yes it is hard for me to grooming sitting down. It feels nice but nope.

Comment

Sitting down occasionally but I don't like except small dogs.

Comment

Working...
                          X