Car totaled, dog safe in carrier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car totaled, dog safe in carrier

One of my groomers totaled her car today hitting a deer that jumped out in the road. I was scrambling to fill in for her. She was OK with airbag although it made her cough a lot. The good news is her dog was on the backseat inside a large carrier. The wire kind with canvas side and netted windows. Her dog is only 20 pounds but the carrier is very large. It just fits in the door and it is tall almost touching ceiling inside car. So that way the carrier is locked in between back seat and front passenger seat, and almost touching inside roof. No way could it fly over the front seat. Smart. Dog is fine. She will be back to work Saturday.

So glad everyone is OK.
    Old groomers never die, they just go at a slower clip.

Groom on!!!

Comment

What a close call. What did she hit?

Comment

That is scary. I have never had a bad accident like that. So buy an oversize crate that just fits in back seat and that can't roll over into front??? Why didn't I think of that. Much easier than attaching a dog seat belt.

Comment

Deer are just so stupid about cars. Add to that the rut and it's just crazy.
          Thankful your groomer is ok, and her little dog too.

Comment

Originally posted by 123Linda View Post
            What a close call. What did she hit?
            A deer.

Comment

Good news she is OK.

Comment

We do something like this with our back carrier but we a couple cuts in the canvas cover and stitched around it to avoid fraying. Through those cuts we put the seat belt or belts through, just the buckle shows to the dogs, and now you have another major barrier to keep the carrier on the seat in an accident.

Comment

That's great to know. I am going to try something like this. I have bad habits taking chances with dogs in the car.

Comment

I like those wire canvas carriers way better than the vari-kennel . Mine has netted windows on all 4 sides instead of round peep holes. Dogs like it better for whatever reason.

Comment

Glad everyone walked away safe.
                      It's not what you look at that matters; it's what you see.
                      Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Idea of strapping it down is very good. It is very important to try to place the carrier in the middle of the back seat. Side impacts by another car would slam the dogs against the passenger door. If the carrier in middle of back seat that wouldn't happen. Seriously.

Comment

Working...
                        X