Question for everybody

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for everybody

Ok, this is hypothetical. So I don't want to see any answers saying, that will never happen at my shop, or I work alone. Just answer the question please. There are 2 choices, pick the one you would do, please.

Again this is hypothetical. I decided to do this because of my thread. I just want to get peoples opinion on this. Please don't freak out, I'm not doing it to be mean or anything.

Your grooming a dog and then you hear another groomer or a bather scream for help or something that makes you think you need to get there asap. You don't have enough time to put the dog in a cage. You just drop everything and rush to the co-worker.

[B]Would you secure the dog on the noose and run?[/B]

OR

[B]Would you take the noose of the dog? Thinking, A broken leg is better than a dead dog.[/B]

OR
    [B]Put the dog on the floor to run around?[/B]

Ok, I added that one in for those that requested it. So now there's 3.
    Last edited by Raggs; 01-23-07, 03:48 PM. Reason: Added
    Becky

I would run to the co worker. Sorry, but I value human life more than dog. Assuming that the other groomer is being attacked by a dog or something urgent like that.
    If your dog is fat, you are not getting enough exercise!

Comment

what would I do?

There is no question,i would never leave a dog on the table unattended for any reason there is always a second that you can put them on the floor and If it is a larger dog it would take a second to take them off the table also. I have been bitten bad by a dog and still took the second to put it on the floor to keep him from biting me anymore. That is just me i love animals to much to risk injury to them AT ALL.

Comment

Sorry you have to have the put on the floor

As long as a secure shop area, I would get the dog to the floor and let it free for that rush. Even a big dog, assisting it to get down can be real fast.

Sorry too, another option is if a medium or small dog I had, I'd grab the dog and take it with me to see what the problem is.

A long time ago I had a lovely employee who had screached in absolute horror a few times. I'd come a running, but Geez, she'd broken one of her precious and pretty long fingernails. I was so afraid she sliced a dog about in half or something. Over 30 years later, I still shake my head over that.
        Money will buy you a pretty good dog but it won't buy the wag of it's tail.

Comment

Put the dog on the floor. Cant take longer then taking it out or putting it into the noose.

But I guess if it was an absolute total emergency like...say... a cat had attacked the other groomer and was plastered to her face biting and clawing at her eyes Id just RUN there because a broken leg is better then a human being made blind

Really hard to do a hypothetical. Hard to imagine an emergency that taking 1 second to swing a dog to the ground would make a difference in

Comment

Im in aggrement with Arooh, put them on the floor, or carry them with.
            Of course if its screaming, followed by sounds of crashing, or some other extreme noise I would most likely leave them on the table and run to see what was going on.
            Tammy

Comment

OH I kinda had a situation like this once. We do doggy daycare at our place. The doggy daycare yard is right outside my window but the window is above my head so I cant really see out to the ground.

One day I was grooming a golden and all of a sudden there was a huge eruption in the yard. the daycare girl SCREAMED for help and the dogs sounded like they were killing eachother. Better believe I swung the dog to the ground and ran out the door to help. (my grooming yard is beside her daycare yard.)

I dont think swinging the dog to the floor (just quick released the noose and left it on) delayed me.

Anyway for those wanting the end to the story, everything ended up ok.. compared to what I was thinking.. I was thinking thered be a dead dog or dead daycare person out there from the rukus. One dog needed a couple stitches and the daycare girl got bit breaking up the fight but not seriously. She was surrounded by help within seconds. The dog that started it was banned from daycare.

Comment

I have actually stood and watched a dog drop to the floor before. Upon owner request. It was a Chow mix and the owner told me that he bites and get scared easily. My boyfriend at the time was brushing him out after the bath and the dog started to back off the table. I turned around in time to see the dog doing this and told the guy to back off to let the dog fall. He wouldn't and decided that he would catch the dog. He did so, and the dog ended up hitting the ground anyways, because the dog turned and bit the guy in the face. He reacted by grabbing his face which in turn meant that he let go of the dog. 15 stitches later he said he was going to sue the owner of the dog. I told him he wasn't because she made us full aware that the dog bit and I had told him to let the dog drop. I made him sign a paper stating that he would not go after the owner for any sort of medical bill or pain and suffering or anything like that. The doctor had to report the bite but since I was on the owner side and she gave us full warning and the situation, animal control didn't do anything about it. After that I went to the womans home to do that dog.
                Becky

Comment

Probably in ALL HONESTY, go to the coworker. I know this sounds bad, but I'm being honest. The noose would more than likely slip from the dogs neck and it would jump down or stay on the table. BE HONEST EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!

astrodog

Comment

okay, after trying to picture this happening I think what I would do is take the dog off the table and stick it in a crate. If it was a big dog I'd let if off the table and hook it onto our gate. Luckily I can see most of my shop from my table and tub.

Comment

Screw it, I would run for the person.

Comment

Originally posted by petstylist View Post
                        Im in aggrement with Arooh, put them on the floor, or carry them with.
                        Of course if its screaming, followed by sounds of crashing, or some other extreme noise I would most likely leave them on the table and run to see what was going on.
                        Tammy
                        I agree...I would most likely put them on the floor. If it was the blood curdling screams that make me instinctly react to help, I would then likely leave the dog on the table and run. If it wasn't noosed and small enough, I would probably grab it and take it along with me. It really depends on the situation like you said. It's easy to say now what I would probably do, but I may would surprise myself with my response if I were actually in that situation.

Comment

Small dog would go with me to see what was going on; large dog would be put on the floor where it would most likely follow me into the next room anyhow. Just like the fingernail story you can't be sure what's going on and there's no sense in taking chances you don't have to...

Comment

I would put the dog on the ground. It takes just a spit second to unsnap the noose and set the dog on the floor.

But...seeing as how I am absolutly useless in emergency situations, I would probably stand there running in circles saying "omg, what do I do, what do I do?"

Comment

Originally posted by Raggs View Post
                              Ok, this is hypothetical. So I don't want to see any answers saying, that will never happen at my shop, or I work alone. Just answer the question please. There are 2 choices, pick the one you would do, please.

Again this is hypothetical. I decided to do this because of my thread. I just want to get peoples opinion on this. Please don't freak out, I'm not doing it to be mean or anything.

Your grooming a dog and then you hear another groomer or a bather scream for help or something that makes you think you need to get there asap. You don't have enough time to put the dog in a cage. You just drop everything and rush to the co-worker.

[B]Would you secure the dog on the noose and run?[/B]

OR

[B]Would you take the noose of the dog? Thinking, A broken leg is better than a dead dog.[/B]

OR
                              [B]Put the dog on the floor to run around?[/B]

Ok, I added that one in for those that requested it. So now there's 3.
                              No question I'd put the dog on the floor. I have had experiences at work where somebody screamed for help, and I did just that, put the dog on the floor. Oh, and I wouldn't put the dog on the floor to run around, we have eye hooks on the wall, so I would hook it up. I think it would take just as much time to scoop the dog off the table and hook it up as it would to hook the noose around the neck...and I would never just leave it there without a noose at all, a broken leg could be the least of the problems, especially if it was a tiny dog.
                              Scratch a dog and you'll find a permanent job. ~Franklin P. Jones

Comment

Working...
                              X