diff uses for 6.5,7.5 and 8.5 curved shears

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• diff uses for 6.5,7.5 and 8.5 curved shears

im buying backup shears and i already have a pair of 6.5 curved shears. i was wondering about whether or not theres a reason to invest in a 7.5 or 8.5 pair of curved shears. i dont do many big dogs, but i was thinking i might have a faster time of topknots with a bigger curve and it might be good for covering the whole dog after clippering?

shears

I use 8.5" shears for most everything and my 9.5" shears for large dogs. I can't imagine using smaller shears, I would be scissoring all day. LOL

My ultimate favorite shears are my new 9.5" Crocodile shears from Geib. They are so light! They are a finishing shear only, but I don't groom pre bath anyway, so that is all I needed them for. I just got them in Nov at the Classic in Dallas and I LOVE THEM. I use these straights for small dogs front legs more often than not. Helps me to get them nice and straight with very few clips.

Comment

I use 8.5 and 9.5 I have really small hands and any thing longer feels awkward
      and big
      "Whoever Said That Money Can't Buy Happiness Forgot About Puppies"
      Nancy

Comment

I only have 1 pair of curves too, and I rarely use them so no need for a back up for me. I prefer the straight, it's just what I'm used to. But opposite of aussheplady, I like the short ones. But most of my dogs are little, and the short straight shears seem to work better for me. I have mutliple name brand shears, but my favorite pair are Geibs.

Comment

I prefer the 8.5 as well in both my straights and curved shears. I also have a pair of 10 curves that I use for my big scissor cuts. It all depends on personal preference and what you are used to. The smallest scissors I have are 7 straights and they are like kindergarden scissor to me..lol I only use them to trim ears and on puppies faces.
          SheilaB from SC

Comment

Hi! My name is Patty and I'm a scissor and shear-aholic lol!! I have 4.5", 5.5", 6.5" and 8.5" curves. I use the little ones on tiny faces and puppy feet, the next up on Yorkie & Maltese feet, the 6.5" on Shih Tzu feet and faces and to start the bevel on Cocker feet and the 8.5" on larger breeds and almost all but the smallest Poodle TKs. We won't discuss the 2 pr. of curved thinner/blender shears I had custom made for me (LOVELOVELOVE them-worth every $!) or the 8" Cobalt Katanas that were also custom made for me (Ditto). Nor will we discuss the straight scissors and shears I have on hand

Comment

Originally posted by bow_wow_wheels View Post
              Hi! My name is Patty and I'm a scissor and shear-aholic lol!! I have 4.5", 5.5", 6.5" and 8.5" curves. I use the little ones on tiny faces and puppy feet, the next up on Yorkie & Maltese feet, the 6.5" on Shih Tzu feet and faces and to start the bevel on Cocker feet and the 8.5" on larger breeds and almost all but the smallest Poodle TKs. We won't discuss the 2 pr. of curved thinner/blender shears I had custom made for me (LOVELOVELOVE them-worth every $!) or the 8" Cobalt Katanas that were also custom made for me (Ditto). Nor will we discuss the straight scissors and shears I have on hand
              Im jealous Patty!! some people jus have the luck! man! you're ready to take on some hair lady! LOL

Comment

The only curves I have are 8.5 and 10's. I use the 8.5 for almost everything, unless I'm working on a large dog's head or anywhere else I need to on one of the big guys.

Comment

Originally posted by hairdevil View Post
                  Im jealous Patty!! some people jus have the luck! man! you're ready to take on some hair lady! LOL
                  I am jealous too, curved thinners wow that sounds like a fun toy! I groomed my first 2 years with a 6.5 pair of osters and a tiny pair of curves I don't think they even had a brand name. Now I can't scissor a standard with anything smaller than 9.5.
                  10 yrs later I still don't have any high end scissor nothing over $90. But that is all about to change, I am going shopping! I am so excited. I like my tiny curved for schnauzer ears they were blunt tipped. I like a 8.5 Filipino style for roughing in. I like my curves to have a finger rest on both sides so when I flip them over they don't feel weird in my hand. I feel weird if a shear has no finger rest. I think when you start grooming you should start out with a smaller scissor until you feel control with a larger shear.

Comment

Working...
                  X