Beveled Feet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beveled Feet

I was hoping someone on this board could offer some advice on how to do a better job beveling cocker feet. I have tried referencing some websites and just can’t seem to make them look as pretty as the ones you see in the grooming competitions or show pictures. I own a cocker, so I have a subject to practice on. I never seem to get that nice foot that flares outward and upward, while still looking nice and rounded. I don’t think I can explain what I’m trying to achieve. I know what it looks like in pictures, I just can’t write it. If anyone can explain how they do it I would greatly appreciate it.

I hope it helps!!!

http://www.groomingsmarter.com/

Comment

After you do the pads, push all the hair up and use a 4 blade to clip just the toes, from nail bed to the first joint. Then comb the hair down in layers, and scissor each layer, following the conture of the foot. When you scissor the first layer, position your scissors straight up. With each progessive layer, angle your scissors out just a little bit. Put the foot down, comb the leg hair down, and blend it in with the scissors pointed straight down.

Comment

Try keeping the foot on the table and scissoring the foot without picking it up. I put my scissors at an angle maybe 30 degrees and go around the whole foot, I lift the other foot up so I can see the inside of the foot. Then I trim any hair hanging over that line aroung the pad. Then you can either do this with thinning shears or reg. but comb all the hair down and stack the dog like a show dog before you cut. hold his neck and ears up too. Then scissor off what is hanging on floor so it is now one or 2 inches higher up from the floor. Then blend the two lengths. Just as in a pic of a show dog the foot appears to have a bell shape. It is important that the dog is stacked because if he is slouching you will cut too much off and when he walks around you will see that. Hope that helps in some way.

Comment

I do beveled feet much the same way as PoodleFluff describes...

Now to go check out that "grooming smarter" site!

Comment

That was fun. I enjoyed the website and the advice. Most of the time I don't get to do anything longer than a #1 comb on my cocker's but they are so pretty when done correctly.

Comment

A friend of mine use to show cockers and she taught me to run you hand down the leg, holding hair in place, lift foot,(backwards) trim round the foot..place foot back down, with curved scissors trim all around the foot at an angle..blend into leg..it looks really good and I get more compliments on my cockers!

Comment

Originally posted by europet View Post
                I see a "shelf" on that last foot, the white one. Anybody else? Otherwise I like it. I would just maybe use thinning shears on that shelf.

Tammy in Utah
                Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

I use curved scissors always to round all clients' doggie feet. Can't imagine any other way. Give it a try.

Comment

Originally posted by europet View Post
                    that is a great site EXCEPT the wet shaving video. The dog was blasted in the face and inside ears with the hose. Poor doggie.
                    If your dog is fat, you are not getting enough exercise!

Comment

I too do as PoodlePuff. Works great for OES and Cockers and Briards!
                      Just make sure you comb them out real nice before you trim and you'll get a beautiful bevel.

Comment

I start w/ the pads, then do what Poodle puff writes. Remember to comb down, then when you think your done, comb thru again and re scissor any wispies. This is really hard to describe w/o someone showing you. Maybe you could watch a groomer near you? Good luck, at least you have someone to practice on.

Comment

Originally posted by diamienono View Post
                          that is a great site EXCEPT the wet shaving video. The dog was blasted in the face and inside ears with the hose. Poor doggie.
                          I couldn't get the video to load, so couldn't watch it. I hadn't seen this site before, and I thought it was great too. Thanks europet.

Comment

Edited.
                            Last edited by pamperedpups; 02-20-07, 12:53 AM.

Comment

I thought about that poor dog all day when I was bathing.
                              If your dog is fat, you are not getting enough exercise!

Comment

Working...
                              X