Oh this pissed me off.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh this pissed me off.

I was in a Petsomething earlier today. I walked around the whole store then stopped right next to the grooming area. I looked in saw 3 dogs on tables and 1 groomer. The other groomer was walking around in and out of the back room, helped a client and then in and out of the back room again. The one groomer was engrossed in what she was doing and wasn't paying attention to the other 2 dogs who kept trying to jump off the table. The other groomer on one of her many trips out of the back room, put one of the dogs back on the table cause it was hanging itself. I go so riled up. I went in there and asked the groomer that was busy with a dog if they had cages that they kept the dogs in while they weren't being groomed. She said they did. So then I said, "Oh, I'm wondering then why there are 2 dogs on the table in nooses unattended and hanging themselves". The other groomer walked out of the back room again to hear me say that and I got a nasty look from both of them. Yet neither one had anything to say so I left. You can be sure that I'm going to call the grooming manager on Monday and let him/her know that situation. That's why we keep getting such a bad reputation. The only time I ever walk away from a dog I'm grooming is if another dog comes in for grooming and my boss walks in to the room to stand with the dog on the table or tub.

When I open my shop I'm going to warn other groomers if I hire any, that if they walk away from a dog on the table with no one to watch it (meaning a groomer that isn't busy) they will get fired on the spot. That's a risk I will not take. I might be a little harsh in that but last thing groomers need is more bad press.
    Becky

That tends to happen a lot in petsomethings around here. That is why they are so desperate for business they are now doing puppies for $14.99 with a hair cut. I almost never see them doing dogs. I personally would have found the store manager right away and flipped out.
    If your dog is fat, you are not getting enough exercise!

Comment

That's terrible. You know, even if you are standing right there they can still hurt themselves pretty bad unfortunately. My boss told me about a shop that a groomer was bathing a dog, didn't move, but turned her back to grab something, turned right back around and the dog had jumped out, and broke it's neck. Obviously not a case of negligence, just too many things that happened to create an unfortunate circumstance. It scared me when I heard it, could happen real easy.
      Scratch a dog and you'll find a permanent job. ~Franklin P. Jones

Comment

If anything they should be more attentive to such details as people can and are always watching. That's so sad. I would've definitely asked for the manager right away. One of the people in the grooming room had to be a manager of some sorts right?

Comment

I too would fire an employee (if I had one) for leaving a dog unattended on table or in tub. It is blatant disregard for a dog's safety. That sort of thing pisses me off too.

Comment

Enough with the "its because its Petsomething" already. It happens all over the place not just petsomethings. Its very unfortunateland with absolutely no excuse. Those groomers are just in a fishbowl and are easilly seen. If you do call the manager, they will get written up for the incident and should be. That would not be tolerated in the one I worked at. Everyone was very conciencious.
            don't find yourself up a creek without a poodle.

Comment

Originally posted by Raggs View Post
              I was in a Petsomething earlier today. I walked around the whole store then stopped right next to the grooming area. I looked in saw 3 dogs on tables and 1 groomer. The other groomer was walking around in and out of the back room, helped a client and then in and out of the back room again. The one groomer was engrossed in what she was doing and wasn't paying attention to the other 2 dogs who kept trying to jump off the table. The other groomer on one of her many trips out of the back room, put one of the dogs back on the table cause it was hanging itself. I go so riled up. I went in there and asked the groomer that was busy with a dog if they had cages that they kept the dogs in while they weren't being groomed. She said they did. So then I said, "Oh, I'm wondering then why there are 2 dogs on the table in nooses unattended and hanging themselves". The other groomer walked out of the back room again to hear me say that and I got a nasty look from both of them. Yet neither one had anything to say so I left. You can be sure that I'm going to call the grooming manager on Monday and let him/her know that situation. That's why we keep getting such a bad reputation. The only time I ever walk away from a dog I'm grooming is if another dog comes in for grooming and my boss walks in to the room to stand with the dog on the table or tub.

When I open my shop I'm going to warn other groomers if I hire any, that if they walk away from a dog on the table with no one to watch it (meaning a groomer that isn't busy) they will get fired on the spot. That's a risk I will not take. I might be a little harsh in that but last thing groomers need is more bad press.
              Becky,
              I would call the store manager instead of the grooming manager and then I would call corporate. If they are doing it and shrugged you off chances are the grooming manager also does it???
              "Whoever Said That Money Can't Buy Happiness Forgot About Puppies"
              Nancy

Comment

Wasn't there a story on inside edition about a dog being unattended and hanging itself at a pet something?? That is so bad..dogs are unpredictable. I mean even the calmest dog when it has the idea that they want off the table, they want of and its superman time.. You just can't even take your eys off them or turn away for a second. With the smaller dogs if I am vacuming or something I will tuck them my under my arm while I am cleaning up so I know they aren't going to hurt themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by furrybestjob View Post
                  Enough with the "its because its Petsomething" already. It happens all over the place not just petsomethings. Its very unfortunateland with absolutely no excuse. Those groomers are just in a fishbowl and are easilly seen. If you do call the manager, they will get written up for the incident and should be. That would not be tolerated in the one I worked at. Everyone was very conciencious.
                  well, because they are in a fish bowl, they should be extra careful because there is always someone watching. It is know at least in my area that most of the groomers at petsomething are not skilled because of the way they are treated exct. They don't stay long if they are good because they know their skills will be appreciated elsewhere.
                  If your dog is fat, you are not getting enough exercise!

Comment

i have also seen a similar situation at a petsomething..several dogs on tables and one grommer in the room. it's true, they are in a fishbowl...all the more reason to be extra careful...for anyone who was "trained to groom" at one of these places, do they cover safety issues in this training, and how long is the training period?? just curious.

Comment

I would definitely report what you said in concerned, professional manner.

Petsomethings around here usually don't have many clients so when I go there's nothing to watch...

Comment

I worked for petsomething for 10 yrs rules were if not with in arms length of the dogs you were fired but that was 4 yrs ago.Don't call anyone but the district grooming manger chances are the store director knows their doing that.Store support group for petsomething is located in Phoenix Az you can ask to speak to one there.or you can email them.

Comment

I agree with furry. I worked at a petsomething and not all of them are bad. Ours was quite good at keeping at least one set of eyes on dogs at all times. Petsomethings get bad reps because they're so well known and so many people are employed at each one.

Comment

Raggs I found the phone number for petsomething store support group it's 1 800 738-1385 ext 2518.I've seen in some stores but not all their more concerned with quanity not quality.

Comment

Becky, you used to do it all the time, remember? Your own puppy fell off the table flat onto the concrete and yelped and whimpered. Both Pixie and I were there and our eyes were as big as golfballs. We were 'waiting' for it to happen and then it did. I am not trying to be mean, but it's easier to look at others and see them making the mistakes that we ourselves sometimes make.

Tammy in Utah
                              Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

Working...
                              X