Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a pesky neigbor

Hi,
    I have a question for you all. I recently moved to a rural area (4 months ago) and about 2 months ago I put out a sign saying dog grooming, out of my home. I have had several responses. I am really trying to do this on a part time basis. Right now if I do 5-10 dogs a week that would be fine with me. I also researched all the vet clinics in the outlying areas and the ones without a groomer I sent a brochure offering my services, ( I have also worked as a vet tech for many years).
    Well I got a call from someone at the village hall saying that a neighbor is complaining that I have a business out of my home. The woman at the village hall said that according to thier rules I am doing nothing wrong. Now I come to find out that this woman lives about a block behind me and now has a sign for grooming on her barn! In all my research in the areas I have never heard of her. And now all of a sudden she is going behind my back. I am on a main section of town and she is on a road almost no one takes.
    Tomorrow night there is a village board meeting. Do I go and explain what I am doing and why? Or should I just let it go, and stop grooming out of the house? I really hate confrontation and do not want this to lead to more problems with the neigbors. I really hate the backstabbing.
    I have been grooming for more than 15 years, won a placement at the All American Grooming Show years ago. I think I am more than capable of grooming a few dogs a week. I have no idea of the qualifications of this other person.
    Sorry I am rambling here. What would you do? Any suggestions?
    I would appreciate any feedback!!!!
    Shannon

I would suggest going and finding out for sure what the regs are and if they are in your favor continue what you are doing. If she is a barnyard groomer, she is no competition. Don't sweat it.
    If your dog is fat, you are not getting enough exercise!

Comment

Keep on grooming!

I think if you were contacted by the Village and you are doing nothing wrong you should continue grooming. Perhaps this person was going to groom or something and you beat her to the sign, nonetheless you should not allow intimidation of that sort. By all means you should go to the meeting and be very polite and respectful and explain who you are and what you are doing for their information,not approval. Maybe someone will give you a heads up on the other person, if not, at least you can make friends and begin to establish yourself in that area and people will come to recognize that you are very qualified and knowledgeable in your field.

Comment

I agree with both Lisa and Dina. That is what I would do too, keep grooming and go to the meeting. You have a new business and you need to let people know who you are and what you are doing and what you can offer them.
        "There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face."
        Diane

Comment

If you are not breaking any bylaws or anything, keep on grooming. It just sounds like sour grapes on that lady's part. Don't let her bully you out of your business idea, and don't let what's she's doing get to you. Stay classy. Her antics will expose her for the petty & destructive person she probably is. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by diamienono View Post
            I would suggest going and finding out for sure what the regs are and if they are in your favor continue what you are doing. If she is a barnyard groomer, she is no competition. Don't sweat it.
            I agree, and if they say you are doing nothing wrong continue what you are doing with a big smile on your face
            "Whoever Said That Money Can't Buy Happiness Forgot About Puppies"
            Nancy

Comment

Oh my, I feel for you. She should at least have came to you first. That just shows you what type fo person she probably is. Go to the meeting and speek your piece. If there are no restrictions and you have a business license you can do what you want.

Comment

Send her or drop in with a nice but inexpensive plant and the directions to the board, your sharpeners name and the name of your suppliers. SHE may be a not-nice person but that doesn't mean you have to stoop to her level. I have never had to deal with village board folks so don't have any advice for you there. Good luck!

Comment

I'm with you, I like to avoid confrontation, so I would probably not go to the meeting, lol. But by all means, if you are not doing anything illegal, then keep on grooming!
                  Scratch a dog and you'll find a permanent job. ~Franklin P. Jones

Comment

Thank you all for your suggestions and support. Actually right after I posted this I got a call from the village board president. Just from talking to him I picture an old man wearing a hearing aide and coveralls. Anyway I guess what they are mainly concerned about is that I am not boarding dogs. Which I am NOT. I asked him what I need to do to be in compliance. He said change the name. Already done! and move my very small sign onto my yard rather than the curb. Again already done! The problem I see is that if this woman is as petty and backstabbing as she has already proven, where will this end? The other thing I fear is that I am one pet over the limit. My dogs are all obedience trained, show dogs(not implying they are better than anyother dog!) but they are not allowed to just run amock all over the yard, unlike other dogs in the neighborhood that I find tearing up my garbage. I just dont need anymore headaches. I am just trying to earn some money for my family. I am not trying to put her out of business, unlike her doing to me. In fact the dogs I have groomed so far have not even been from this town.
                    Im sorry I am venting here. It is just frustrating to think I have put alot of work into this. So that I can stay home with my 2 toddlers, which is frustrating in itself! So I feel now I am stuck at home in this town I will soon learn to dislike very much, and in a snowstorm no less.
                    Thanks for listening to this frustrated, pissed off groomer!!!
                    Shannon

Comment

Why not let your dogs out in shifts. That way no one really has a clue how many you have. If they are quiet and well behaved they should not be noticed.

Comment

Hi Lisa,
                        Thanks once again for your suggestion. Actually the dogs are let out in shifts. There are 2 english cockers and 2 whippets. The whippets are predomantly white so the "novice eye" would not know the difference with a glance. I am just concerened that this person would make it her business to know every move I am making. I thought I would feel a bit more secure in a home that I owned. I guess I am just insecure and worry to much. I need to get a spine!

Comment

I totally agree with Bow wow. I would introduce myself, be sweet as pie and discuss networking. See what her grooming specialties are, etc. and make a classy attempt at least to become aquaintances on friendly terms.

Comment

No offense, but shop groomers sometimes don't take to each other like mobiles do. They see "competition". So maybe make a tray of brownies to cut the tension and go and say hi. Let her know that you are not looking to groom every dog in the neghbor hood just want to have some $ to take you kids out to play. Since you already let your dogs out in shifts, make sure it is one of each breed at a time. That way since your whippets are white it might throw her off lol. I know what you mean about neighbor looking for any excuse to be a jerk.

Comment

I really don't see how what the other groomer did could be considered underhanded or backstabbing. So she called city hall and complained about someone doing business out of their home, big deal! If you're not doing anything wrong operating as you are, continue on in a professional manner. Go to the meeting and bring some handouts. When and IF the other groomer tries to attack your business, I'm sure your good reputation will override her attempts. Her qualifications or lackthereof really aren't an issue here. As you said, you don't want to groom every dog in the village so there should be plenty of business for you both.

Comment

Working...
                              X