Favorite shears?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite shears?

I know I could go back to the old board and search but I thought it would be good to get this going on the new board. I think it's time for new shears. Don't want to spend a lot, but want something light and easy to use the leave a nice finish. What do you like?

Janet

Over here I have Geib, Monk and Heritage shears. I like a medium weight and I like how they cut and feel in my hand.

Comment

Geib and Tylans
      Stress is nothing more than a socially acceptable form of mental illness.- Richard Carlson

Comment

Janet, it doesn't matter what my fav shears are-what matters is how they fit YOUR hand! Can you get to Intergroom in April? Jerry Been of Oklahoma Shear will be there. You can get fitted for shears and try on a few just for size. You don't have to purchase from her but she'll be able to show you what fits your hand best and what to look for, and stay away from, in a shear. You can then go from there. If you can't get to that show FAX her a photocopy of your hand and she can do the same thing for you but you'll have to find the brands and styles that best fit you on your own.

Personally I like the Geib Cobalt Katana line. They are heavy but fit my hand like butta and cut like a dream. Cheap they ain't! And let me speak to price. You can have a costly shear that doesn't fit your hand and you'll be unable to do quality work in a timely fashion because you'll be compensating for that improper fit and potentially giving yourself problems down the line. You can use a $100 shear and get top shelf work if it fits your hand. Good luck in your search and happy shopping

Comment

My favorit are Geib Avanti (not the Cobalt... much heavier) but the regular. They are attractive looking, hold a nice edge and cut beautifully.

Comment

It depends on what you think costs alot? I personally have Giebs Slim 88j's and am thinking about trying some talyn shears out at the Atlanta Pet Fair.
            I try not to pay over $300 for each pair of shears, I know that may sound like alot, but they hold an edge forever(my 3 pair of Giebs, I have had for over 5 years and only had them sharpened 3 times) if you take good care of them.

Tammy

Comment

I use 8 pairs of 25-30 yr old medium weight straight and curved 8" Osters (haven't been made for 15 yrs-they keep a razor edge Forever..look on ebay), multiple pairs of 25 yr old Andre Tisserand 7" straights & curves. New(ish) shears are: 10" C-mon straights, 9.5" Kamisori straights, 10" Kamisori curved, 10" new Monks straights (not-so-great), and 10" offset Geibs (they SUCK!). My favs of all of them are the inexpensive 10" C-mons---very light and well balanced plus keep a great edge. The Kamisori 9.5's run a close second-- but the Kamisoris seem to need sharpening and adjusting more often.

You really, really need to check out shears in person to see what fits You best. We can all tell you what we like but they may not be what -you- need.

Comment

The Geibs are tough scissors and really hold up to a beating but they make my wrists hurt because of the weight. I use Roseline because I am constantly dropping my scissors and can't see spending much more. So I buy cheaper and replace frequently.

Comment

My #1 favorites are Kamisori Shears. there very light, cut like butta & fit(my hand) like a dream.. they run about $80-300 (most are under $150)
                  Close second is Tayln's.

Comment

I actually like a heavier scissor. I had two pair of Andre Tisserand, one was great, the other sucked. I have a 50 dollar pair of Dubl Ducks right now, and I love em. I tried a pair of my bosses Geibs and they cut nice, but didn't like them for my hand...definitely proof that it's a good idea to try them out because they are different for everyone.
                    Scratch a dog and you'll find a permanent job. ~Franklin P. Jones

Comment

I use Talyn’s and Kenchii shears. They both are light, and cut well.

Comment

I have tried many different shears over the years. I really like the 10" Monks I have. I also have a few pairs of Geibs that I like. I have a few pairs of Wolfe. The overall concensus at my shop is Geib all the way baby!
                        It all depends on what type of dog and coat you are woking on as to what shears to choose. I use different shears for cockers than I use on poodles.

Comment

Well my next scissor to buy will be Super Gator Butter Cut. with the blue dial. I also love Kenchii. For more inexpensive scissor I like Monks, C'mon, Geib. I also want a pretty blue pair of the Airus Eckart. I have not bought scissors in a while, and my 9 inch scissors have been witled down to nothing. Over the 10 yrs I have had them. I love my Dovo thinning shears as well.

Comment

Believe it or not, I love the Fromm's curved bullnose. I've spent 150.00-200.00 for a pair of shears and always end up right back with my Fromms

Comment

Geib...I love how they cut, and the feel in my hand.
                              I have tried several others...I own some Roselines, but find them too lightweight for my liking.

Comment

Working...
                              X