so sad.......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• so sad.......

When I can, I help out a local animal rescue group in my area. In my county, there are an estimated 8,000 stray dogs.....its ridiculous & out of control. I try to do my part to help out. Well I was asked to groom a medium sized sheltie mix, as she gets transported to her new home Monday.

I had my bather get her bathed, blowed out and brushed out. Then I helped her w/ finishing her. OMG she was SOOOOO Sweet! She literally looked so relaxed while she got brushed, she was just loving the attention. After we were done grooming her we let her walk around the shop while we did clean up, since everyone else had gone home already. She just went & laid down like a good girl! She was just a nice dog.....When it came time for the rescue woman to come get her, she ran straight for the other side of the shop, tail between her legs. She didn't want to go back to the shelter! It just broke my heart. The lady literally had to drag her out while she was trying to plant her feet into my floor to stay w/us. I felt so horrible......she just looked at me w/these pleading eyes. I am sitting here still thinking about her now. Had she not been adopted already, I think she would've come home w/me today! Ugh I should be used to this by now with all these strays here, but for some reason she got to me today.....I had to vent

Aww. I know how you feel. I can't even go into a shelter without getting upset for days.
    If your dog is fat, you are not getting enough exercise!

Comment

I volunteer with a Poodle rescue group here in SC. I tried volunteering at a shelter but it was just too much for me. The poor critters acted the same way about going back to their runs and I just couldn't handle it emotionally. The last time I left there crying was THE last time. I can't even go look at the shelter adoptees, I just get too emotional

Comment

Thankfully she'd been adopted, so though she had to go back to the shelter, she finally got a great home. And she looked GOOD going home.

Tammy in Utah
        Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

I use to work in a shelter, didn't last long. I just couldn't take at the end of the day when the dogs and cats came into that one special room and never left. It was so heart breaking.

Just keep telling yourself she has a great home and family she is going to and it may make it easier for you.
          "There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face."
          Diane

Comment

Helping homeless dogs in need is a wonderful thing, but I know it can be trying. As others have said, at least she already found a home. Will the owners be informed of who groomed her so they can bring her back for another appointment?

Comment

Its so sad. Pets are looked at as disposable items these days.

Oh you didnt know it was going to turn into a huge slobbering grownup dog?
              Thats ok just take it to the pound, someone else will take care of your problem.

Oh didnt think about crate training so now little puppy wuppy is peeing all over your house. Just toss him out the back door and forget about him. He grown up to be a "well adjusted outside dog".

Didnt think you needed to socialize your rottie/pit/yorkie/schnzr/what ever else you bought from the backyard breeder/fleamarket and he bit someone? thats ok you can baby talk to him so he does it over and over again then take him to the vet and be put to sleep. We love holding your dogs paw and looking into their eyes as we kill them at your request.

And please go place a bet or two or three on those greyhounds at the track. They love to run , thats what they were bred for, they take care of them there at the track dont they? Yeah, they do, untill their last race is run , then they are killed and they get tossed in the dumpster.

And please breed your lovely example of what ever dog you have, because God knows there is a shortage of puppies in this world and we will surely perish if your dog does not pass on his or her wonderfull traits to the next generation on dogs that most likely wont have a forever home and will die like the countless millions that have before them.

Ok Im done ranting.
              Going back into my corner with my tow poodle and my greyhound to calm down
              Tammy

Comment

sorry long

That is soo sad, I got chills when I read it. I feel the same way with my job at a specialty hospital. we have a lot of in-house patients, that's who i spend most my time with because I'm a wards nurse so I just take care of them. I treat them as if they're my own pets, and nobody else I work with does that. they just do they're treatments, then... NEXT! Well as time goes on, you can see them getting depressed almost becoming differen't dogs (and cats). Then when i have to hear about their health getting worse or talking about euthenasia, it's almost too hard to take sometimes, because i've become super attatched to them. i spend a little more time doing their treatments, or if i have extra time, instead of chatting with a co-worker, I'll go sit in a run with a dog and give them "lovins" to let them know I'm there.
                So when I get sad or think I can't take it anymore, then I tell myself, think about what they're going thru. if I were them and couldn't be a normal dog, just be stuck ina hospital for days or weeks, I would want someone caring for me that way. Sooo, if YOU don't do it, who else will? that applies for lots of things!!! It should be us, the "sappy" ones because that just means we care a lot, enough to be emotionally touched by these little guys. How many people would give that much consideration to an animal? Honestly, yes everyone think's they're "cute" but they need people that CARE.

Comment

I've never even been in a shelter...can't bring myself to do it...too darn sad, I'd never be able to walk out of there without bringing several furry friends home...and regardless I'd see their sad little eyes everywhere I went!
                  Scratch a dog and you'll find a permanent job. ~Franklin P. Jones

Comment

I'm so bad with things like that. Just reading your post makes me feel sad for what that poor dog must have been going through when they came to pick her up. Poor thing didn't know she was going to be going to a new home.
                    don't find yourself up a creek without a poodle.

Comment

I volunteer with a rescue called SPOT (saving pets one at a time) and it breaks my heart. I want to keep them all
                      "Whoever Said That Money Can't Buy Happiness Forgot About Puppies"
                      Nancy

Comment

I know what you mean cocker rescue set up in our lobby one day and they had a old cocker that looked just like my old male that I had to leave with my ex(he got the boy I got the girl) when we broke up. He was about the same age, and sadly had been with the shelter for a while -no one wanted an older dog. I wanted to adopt him soo bad, but we have 4 and no room for any more. I told the lady I would groom 1 dog a month for free but they have never taken me up on the offer.

Comment

i work with the animal rescue group here, and groom some of the dogs, i make them bring them to the shop, can't bear walking thru the shelter, i am a woosh, admire the gals at rescue for being able to do such a good job

Comment

I think I saved Remington#2 Mem. weekend

Before I had a mobile I would groom dogs free @ shelter. Memorial..did a Schn. Stopped me and siad he had an attitude he wasnt getting put up for adoptiuon..hot spots and nervous ,risky. vet checked. I was hysterical I said I woulkd take him. NO they said. Got client who knew a vet in Santa Cruz county.. Dif county..vet would take. No again.. Holiday weekend tried calling ADM. Vet, anyone. They were wrong about him. Finally got Millie. Schn. rescue who is a lil woman with a lot of authority. Looks like weird lady in Poltergeist.movie with ery whispery voice. Millie is supposed to be notified of all mini Schn. that come in. Monday she got him ot. I promised I"d save him! Later, she told me he went to live w/people w/ horses..named him #2 after former dog ..lived hAPPILY e er after. I have to believe Millie. I don't think she would lie to spare my feelings..sher was very matter-o-fact. Never saw dog again... Now he is across rainbow bridge. I hope I gqave him his due time here.....I promised.If it were not for Holiday extra day.. I'd have lost.. he'd have gotten IT.

Comment

I'm glad the sheltie found a home. Hopefully it will be a forever home. I worked for awhile @ a petsomething that had humane society pets onsite for adoption. I was thrilled when pets found great homes, but became very sad and disillusioned for the ones that stayed for months with no takers. Over time you could see these animals(especially the cats) losing hope. They'd just stay put when people came in and look at you as if to say I'm not getting up, what's the point? It was really depressing.

Comment

Working...
                              X