Most important equipment?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most important equipment?

With a limited budget, starting my own shop, of all the necessary pools which item should i spend the most money on? Should i get a quality table with the dog helper? Should i focus on quality blades and cutters? I can afford something nice in one of the areas not sure..supplies top shelf? Dryers?
    of course I understand I need nice things but i can afford something top shelf what should it be? thanks for your advice in advance!!

buzz

Save up for a Clipper Vac Or Ivac you can usew/ wet dry vac. Best investment I ever made besides the van itself.Cheaper...Start w/ those amazing Les Pooch brushes.

Comment

get a hydrolic table, get some good clippers and decent scissors. Don't spent the $ on top of the line brushed till you can afford them. The groomers Helper has been a blessing. Also, I have found that a lot of dogs that really fight to get nails done, don't fight to have them dremmeled. I got the cheap Black & Decker one from Walmart for $20
      If your dog is fat, you are not getting enough exercise!

Comment

I forgot

Most important is a good HV.
        If your dog is fat, you are not getting enough exercise!

Comment

"Most important is a good HV." -diamienono

Exactly. I also suggest buying into a good line of shampoos and conditioners. One of my unique selling points is using only natural, top-of-the-line products. A couple good clippers with plenty of smooth cutting blades and quality shears is also important.

To be honest, I could buy everything I need again with about $1500. I do not need a hydrolic table, Groomer's Helper, bathing system or clipper vac, but have made my own of some of these for much less than name brand.

Comment

Get a good HV dryer. Good clippers and shears are important. Although I don't have one, many of the people on this board highly recommend the groomers helper. There are many days I wish I had one of those. As someone else mentioned the higher priced brushes etc. can come later on. They’re not imperative to starting up a business.

Comment

You can use an IVac and shopvac for the CV ($300); you can make a bathing unit ($80-$150); you can make a hydraulic table ($400?) but you NEED a powerful HV!!!!!!!!

Comment

In order for me are:

Good clippers

1 good shears (Geib Gator 88's were my first pair and I still use them...plus not super duper expensive), and one crumby pair for pads, and other misc trimming

High Velocity Dryer (a powerful one with two settings so you can do the nervous dogs and the normal dogs with one dryer and still get them done fast)

I'd have to say a hydraulic table and a CV are probably tied in my book, depends on what kind of dogs you're planning on catering too in your first year....small haircut dogs= CV more important, and lifting dogs not as big a deal; larger bath/trim dogs= table more important cause you don't want to lift those big boys.

A couple good crates, you don't need many, get the dogs in and out and you only need 4: 2 big, 2 small.

Fluff dryer to really give a nice finish to your haircut coats

Reliable blades, cuts down on your frustration

Double of everything (clippers, shears, blades) to cover in case of something breaking, and while stuff is out getting sharpened. I went for quite a few months with only one set of everything. It's living somewhat on the edge, but that's what you got to do in the beginning....bare bones.
                Erin
                No Fur, No Paws, No Service.

Comment

My number 1 must have is the Groomer's Helper. It doesn't cost you money, it makes you money, because the time you aren't spending chasing dogs all over the table and dodging teeth can be spent grooming another dog or two. And it saves you a great deal of money if you avoid expensive injuries and bites that not only cost you money for medical treatment, but also cost you money in time off work while you recover. I'll never groom another dog without it.

A hydraulic table will save your back, and make your work easier. Definately worth the $$$.

Top quality shampoos, conditioners and finishing sprays make your grooms look better and make grooming easier. They can also be less expensive in the long run. I've found you have to use more of the cheap stuff in order to get anything approaching the same results. Especially shampoo.

IMO, the price of scissors is less important than how well they fit your hand. If they don't fit, they're harder to use, and your scissoring won't be as smooth.

The same is true for clippers. A lot of people like Andis, but I don't care for the feel of them, and I find they vibrate too much and that contributes to fatigue. But a lot of it is in the fit.

Top quality blades are a must. You'll spend more money on sharpening than you save on the initial cost of the cheaper ones.

A good HV dryer (or two) is also essential.

Comment

Since opening up my new shop last year, I'm still trying to build up my supply. There are many things I don't have 2 of yet or the quality I would like either. If I had to say the one thing I know I couldn't live without or give up it would be the HV without a doubt! Even a smaller amp one, which is less costly, is better than nothing. You can always save up for a larger one later and then keep the small one for a back up once you purchase the larger one. That's what I did. 2nd would be clippers - blades I think aren't that big of a deal. I seem to go thru them alot and get the same results, regardless of the brand and price. I do like the buttercut blades from Geib and the price is right. Scissors/shears, I have several diff name brands. The $25 ones aren't has fun to use, but in the end you can't tell the difference between the grooms done with them vs. the $80 ones. 3rd good shampoos, conditioners and such - these are essential I think in producing a professional groom. They really do make a big difference! The top shelf thing for me would be the HV. Good luck!

Comment

1. Groomers Helper www.groomershelper.com

(If you want to keep working, stop being bitten, stop fighting nutso dogs, it's worth every dime I paid for it).

2. High velocity dryer---at least 58,000 feet per minute (air flow)

3. Clipper vac/taxi vac

4. Hydraulic or electric grooming table is SOOO nice to have!

5. Good shears, thinning, straight, and curved

Tammy in Utah
                      Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

A H-V dryer for sure. Better finishing results and fast. Wouldn't groom without one. A stand dryer for fluff drying. Two good clippers; you need a spare in case one dies, good blades, thinning shears and scissors. Quality shampoo & conditioner. The good stuff usually has a higher dilution ratio and the coats will finish better.

Comment

Groomers Helper by far # 1
                          a good HV
                          good comfortable clippers
                          and then go from there
                          "Whoever Said That Money Can't Buy Happiness Forgot About Puppies"
                          Nancy

Comment

MIE

I work alone so:

1.Groomer's Helper

2.Electric table

3.Good HV

4.Aesculap clippers aka German Red Clippers

All of these have made my job far less stressful and much more profitable!

Comment

1. Top of the line HV dryer
                              2. Hydraulic Table
                              3. 1 good set of clippers & blades
                              4. 2 decent shears: 1 straight, 1 curved.

Comment

Working...
                              X