Cocker ears

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cocker ears

Ok in my thread about smelly dogs I saw this posted about the nasty film coming out of Cocker ears. I was going to post this up today anyways and then I just read that. I have only every been able to ONCE get Cockers ears to run clear. I scrub and scrub and scrub and will wash ears 3 to 4 times and they still have that milky dirty water running off. It's disgusting. Has anyone else been able to get them clean? If so, tell your secret....
    Becky

Grimeinator and baking soda usually does the trick. Let it soak 5 minutes, rinse and apply again, and again let it soak. The trick, IMO, is soaking. You have to let the shampoo have time to do it's work. On the few that still seem to have a problem, I follow up with vinegar.

Comment

I really like Nature's choice citru-mela shampoo. It really powers through mud and grimy residue skin. Then I rinse thoroughly and use N.specialty's aloe dirty dog shampoo. It seems to work well for them.

Comment

Cocker ears are the worst... I use dawn detergent to wash the ears. It is the only thing that will cut through the nastyness and make it smell good and get them clean.

Comment

I would highly recommend calling Les Poochs on their 800 number, telling them you're a groomer (for pricing purposes) and order a small bottle of their F & T degreaser. I think its around $7, but it is a tiny bottle. It is really amazing stuff. You can even use it as an ear cleaner. It really gets out the gook & greasiness (like my technical talk? lol).
          don't find yourself up a creek without a poodle.

Comment

I concur with Furry. I love that stuff!! I bought a quart bottle several (3-4?) years ago and still have about 1/4 of it left. It really works like the label says it does. I think I got mine from Davis but I'm not sure of that. The ingredients are homogenized sunflower oil, corn oil, peanut oil, canola oil, safflower oil, walnut oil, rice bran oil, orange oil, sesame oil, basil oil, garlic oil, grape seed oil, with emulsifiers. (That's from the label ) I apply and let it sit while I do something else like trim nails or card the coat before the bath. I bathe and rinse the ear, apply Chris Christensen's Clean Start directly to the ear and let that sit while I bathe the rest of the pet and then come back to the head and ears. Gets 'em clean every time!

Comment

I am with Irish on this DAWN, it works wonders!!

Comment

I agree with Helly that the key is letting the ears soak. In addition to the Coat Handler shampoos, I also use The Odor Handler as a degreaser.

Comment

I've used Dawn before, didn't do a whole lot. With regular shampoo I wash the ears first, do the rest of the body, rinse the ears and wash them again and let them sit for 5 minutes. They still are yucky. The one and only time I have been able to get them to run clear is when it was my only dog in and I spent 30 minutes washing this dog. I was just trying different things. I washed the ears 5 5 times, with hypo and let the shampoo sit for 5 minutes each time. I didn't want to use a diff shampoo because I knew I was going to be doing the ears a lot. This Cocker has bad skin as it is and I use Dawn on it first then the special shampoo from the vet. (The special shampoo does't get the dog clean, just sooths the skin.) I have to bathe it first because my clipper wont go thru him before the bath. He's so greasy and dirty from having bad skin. The vet keeps giving her different shampoos to sooth the dogs skin. He comes in every 6 weeks and she doesn't bathe him at home. Then she tells the vet that the shampoo doesn't work after him being bathed in it twice.. Gee I wonder why....She doesn't tell the vet that, her vet thinks she actually bathes the dog like he told her to.
                  Becky

Comment

There's just "something" about putting Dawn DISH SOAP on any dog I don't like. Again, I'll suggest the Coat Handler line. One of the shampoos is hypo, gentle enough for every day use, but STILL gets the job done! Also, there are so many uses for The Odor Handler, I wouldn't know where to begin!

Just curious... Why are you trying to clip a dog before the bath, anyway?

I'm also wondering, what is this Cocker's diet?

Comment

It is usually just a ruff clip before the bath get rid of excessive hair for the shampoos and conditions to work well, and faster dry time.

Comment

Thank-you, Nicole! You beat me to it Have they had the thryoid function checked? A full panel not just a T3/T4 uptake but a full panel would show if there's something going on that is causing the oily skin. A poor diet can also cause problems such as this but I'm not a Canine Nutritionist so don't want to give advice but to suggest that the owner take the pet off all sub-standard foods and put the pet on a better quality holistic diet. (And that doesn't mean the foods in the grocery store )

Comment

Les Pooch Degreaser

The last nasty cocker ears I did. I used grimenator straight out of the bottle worked it in let it soak. Then used the F and T degreaser. worked the best I have seen yet.

Jason

Comment

I don't know the diet. I've asked and she wont tell me what he eats. She just says it's good stuff. I ask her the name and she wont ever tell me. The dog has been checked for thyroid and cushings and everything. The owner thinks that there is an underlying condition because of the skin but none of her vets can find it... She's had 2nd and 3rd and 4th opinions. He's just greasy though, his skin is never red, it never has bumps, it's just flaky. He's also almost 13 yrs old too. He's blind and deaf.
                            Becky

Comment

Grimenator works wonders I love the stuff
                              "Whoever Said That Money Can't Buy Happiness Forgot About Puppies"
                              Nancy

Comment

Working...
                              X