Bouvier Tips?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bouvier Tips?

I haven't been posting much, naturally my computer decides the internet is the enemy right when there's a contest that involves being online all the time. (Which I'm usually too good at, haha)

Anyways, I did my first bouier the other day and was wondering if you guys had any tips on grooming them?

I started by thinning the coats out a bit with a mat king, then I used a snap on to leave the body 1" long, then used one comb length down reversed on the head. I trimmed the 'brows' part of the fall, and any part of the fall that went past the nose. I scissored the legs but they weren't much longer than the body. I also found that the coat king helped thin the beard out, I was really careful not to catch the lip with it though.

She was very good aside from marching in place on the table the whole time.

It sounds to me like you did a great job. This breed it one of my least favorites to groom, beause they are so stubborn. I had one bust my lip one time(he didn't want his ears touched)or his feet or his but or to be brushed...
    I did one the other day and I coat kinged the body as well. Then did a 5/8 blade down back and head. Mine didn't have much leg hair either. I like to shave the outside of ears with a 10 blade and inside with a 30 blade. .

Comment

Wow, so you're saying there's at least one nice Bouvier out there? Don't get me wrong, I think they're beautiful, wonderful dogs... except the couple I've had to groom! And from the sound of it, you didn't have to spend hours dematting this dog? Wow. LOL

Comment

I think she had a little matting, but it came out with the mat king. Its easy to say she was good after the fact, but I was getting frustrated with the marching in place at the time. I found it helped to just scissor slowly and let her march because if I tried holding her leg still she pulled too much to do anything anyways. :P

She came in with a little schnauzer that I was amazed how good he did, he stood like a statue for me.

Its kind of funny, just the other day I was thinking "I never get any big dogs to groom!" Then I walk in and see a bouvier sitting in the cage with her Schnauzer buddy...Be careful what you wish for!

Comment

We have 2 regular bouviers. One's a young one who is relatively good, but still puppyish, and the other is an enormous older one who's GREAT except for ocassional prancing for drying feet. I usually do a #4 on his back(because he's so fat) and do a very long boot attachment over his thighs and scissor the rest. I think they're supposed to have a rather round look to them from the back view.

Comment

All ya'll are braver than I. First one I ever tried to groom nearly ate me alive! I refer them to someplace that has 2 + who can handle them as they're too much for me in my van by myself.

Comment

Good thing your client didn't want him hand stripped. You all are getting off lucky. (sighs)

Comment

Sounds to me like you did a great job, I wish you had picts to post! I have never had a problem w/my Bouvier's and always enjoyed them, aside from the leg prancing thing you mentioned..lol.. Unfortunately I haven't seen one in a few years. When I was in FL we had several, but I have only had two since moving here. From what you all are saying maybe I have lucked out and just don't realize it..lol
                SheilaB from SC

Comment

I have a relatively new Bouvier customer who has been coming in every 2 weeks for a bath and brush out. This dog is great though -- he's actually a registered service dog so he is very well behaved. They keep him in full coat...right now his back is about 2-3 inches and legs 5 inches! He usually has some mats but the owner does a pretty good job of brushing in between grooms. I can't wait to fully groom him because I've never done a bouvier.

Comment

I have 3 bouv's that I do: one always matted, one not badly matted cause owners do a lot of work at home, and one new one who has just gotten onto a 6 wk schedule with pretty short trim. Anyway, I did a 1/2 comb back, and A comb legs on the new one, only to even him off from what the last groomer did. I find that they matt quickly esp if owners do nothing at home. So cut tthem a little on the short side to save yourself the trouble. I do a 4 on the top of the head, 10 on the outside of the ears, and a 40 on the inside. Usually for their falls, which no one wants to keep, I do a normal fall, but then trim above the eye the same length as the rest of the head. So really the fall is mainly between the eyes, and a little on the upper inside corner. That way owners can see the eye, but they get the silouhette they're looking for.

For some reason, all 3 I do are horrendous for feet and nails. One of them I don't even try to do nails anymore. She freaks. I've often wonderd if it's breed related.
                    Erin
                    No Fur, No Paws, No Service.

Comment

We do a few, but they are all shavedowns, thankfully, because even then they come in with mats. They are all pretty good too beside the dancing others mentioned.
                      Scratch a dog and you'll find a permanent job. ~Franklin P. Jones

Comment

Sounds similiar to what I would do with a pet. Have four wonderful bouviers myself and groom a few others. My crew are hand stripped for the show ring. When they finish I take them down abit ,especially the ones with fuzzy full coats.

Will say I love grooming bouviers, yep if you let them take control they will do whatever they can get away with...hehehe... they can be stubborn but I love them any way.

Trish

Comment

Working...
                        X