O/T..........ear infections

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• O/T..........ear infections

Does anyone suffer from ear infections?? I'm not sure if you remember, before Christmas, I went to the Doctor, to discover I had a nasty ear infection. So I went on these antibiotics which made me feel real sick, and NOTHING! I still have this dang ear infection. I've never had one before in my life, so does anyone suffer ear infections, and have any tips??
    Could this be anything to do with my job?? I.E......moisture in the air.......
    I'm sceptical about going to the Doctor again, as he is SOOOOOOOOOOOO slow, and last time, I was there until 12:30 AM, yes A M.

Thanks, Vicki

I've never had one, but I know a lady that used to have chronic ear infections and the antibiotics never did anything for her. The docs finally discovered that she didn't have enough wax in her ears. She was cleaning them to much. They told her to stop cleaning her ears except once a month and she hasn't had an infection since.
    Becky

Comment

I have heard that sometimes ear infections can be caused by allergies. Maybe that is something you can look into. I wouldnl't let this go very long w/out going back to a doctor though, you may end up damaging your hearing. Can you not find another doctor? Just out of curiosity, what time did you get there? Was it a regular doctors office of a walk in clinic or urgent care clinic? If it was a regular dr office I would definately look into finding a new doctor.
      SheilaB from SC

Comment

Sheila, it was my family doctor......they squeezed me in at the end of the day which was to be about 8:00p.m, then called me and told me to make it 9:00 p.m as he was running behind(story of his life). So I didn't get into see him until late. We have a REAL shortage of family doctors here in Ontario, Canada, so changing just isn't an option. He's a real good doctor, it's just frustrating when you have to take the whole darn day off to see him.
        I've heard of ppl putting warm compresses on their ears for ear infections.......never heard that cleaning them too much will cause one.....maybe that's what the problem is.

Vicki

Comment

I think you need to contact that doctor for another type of medication. Mention to him how sick you got from it. If you are unhappy with the service then move on. I would not let a cronic infection continue. It might cause damage to the delicate structures of the ear. Dont put this off any longer. Get to a doctor NOW!
          Stress is nothing more than a socially acceptable form of mental illness.- Richard Carlson

Comment

After you go to the doctor, get a dental check-up, and mention the ear infections.

I used to have chronic ear infections/sinus infections. It was an abcessed tooth, draining into my sinus. Once I got the tooth taken care of, my ear infections never came back.

Comment

I get them too. I am allergic to some dogs and the ears start to fill with fluid.

Comment

I get ear infections because of allergies. I am actually allergic to dogs, and cats. You could possibly get a sinus infection from breathing in dog hair as well, which could be the problem, our job isin't the greatest for are health. I have a clip on fan that I attach to my groom post and blow the hair away from me. I can't wait to get a clipper vac.

Comment

Vicki, are your ears dropped or pricked?

Just kidding. I wonder if you are using ear plugs? If so, maybe they are causing a problem. Also, switch to those ear protective wear that people wear at the shooting range, they work SO well and are so easy.

Tammy in Utah
                  Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

I don't think it's been mentioned already so I thought I'd let you know there is a forum here for Off Topics.

Otherwise, wish I had some advice for you for the ear infection, but I haven't had much experience with them. I hope you are feeling better soon!

Comment

I thought I had an ear infection just this past week, I'm not sure if did though because it went away on its own. My friend found a website that suggested putting garlic oil in your ear and letting it sit for 20 minutes. I tried it, I can't say whether it 'cured' me or not, but it made me smell like italian food. haha

Comment

Maggie, did you have dogs trying to lick your ears all day?
                        SheilaB from SC

Comment

Have you tried nutritional supplementation to beef up your immune system? Not a cure but maybe support while you heal and the infection goes away with meds.

Comment

My rep for E-Z Groom swears that their ear cleaner is great for people ear infections too. It has tea tree oil in it. I wouldn't know though, I've never tried it. I've had ear infections before and my kids live with them. Advil and a decongestant is good for a quick fix. Most likely if the antibiotic didn't clear it up the 1st time around, there is something aggravating it and keeping it prone to become infected again. Start doing some things differently like everyone's suggested and see if you see a change. Sometimes it just takes awhile to get rid of it too. I think if you were on 1 round of antibiotic, you shouldn't do another round just yet anyway. I'm a believer in herbs and home remedies, at least trying them first - I recommend checking out an herb store. Antibiotics do run down your system if you use them too much. A warm compress does soothe the pain too. If you feel more comfortable going back to the Doc then just go, but most likely he'll just give ya another antibiotic and send you home. And as you can see antibiotics don't always cure.

Comment

Originally posted by sheilabgroomer View Post
                              Maggie, did you have dogs trying to lick your ears all day?
                              No they didn't, but I was really worried someone would smell it and think it was my breath! haha

Comment

Working...
                              X